Did I Make This Up? Or Did I Hear It Someplace?

Canada Jim

Reaction score
Here's a simple little tune that just seemed to come out of my fingers when I picked up a ukulele tonight. Is it someone else's of did I make it up? It's just a little 3 chord special, but I really like it. Kinda sloppy, but I don't want to do it again.

Cool little ditty there. Until you get served with the cease-and-desist order, it's yours, man! :p

Very nice, Jim! And your uke has a really sweet tone! I agree with Jim H, the ditty is yours until further notice...

I can't place it with anyone else, and I'm a huge music hound. Very nice!

Heh...reminds me of a time many years back I came up with what I thought was a cool chord progression.

I played it for one of my friends, asking "Hey--what do you think of this? You like it?"

He said "Sure. It's 'Night Moves' by Bob Seger."

Deflated. :(

Nice! I'm not finding any lyrics popping in my head. It just might be all you. Good tune, very pretty.

Griffis, Chord progressions are not copyrightable.
What do these songs all have in common:
Robert Johnson's They're Red Hot
Pink Anderson's Bring It On Home
Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant
John Hartford's Boogie
Bill Boyd's I Can't Tame Wild Women

These, and a lot of other songs all use the same changes.
C C B Bb / A A A7 A7 / D7 D7 G7 G7 / C C G7 G7 /

C C B Bb / A A A7 A7 / D7 D7 D7 D7 / G7 G7 G7 G7/

C C C C / C7 C7 C7 C7 / F F F F / Cdim Cdim Cdim Cdim/

A certain bit of your tune sounded a little bit familiar, but it was only a little bit, & as we all know, everyone raids everyone elses ideas at some time or other, & there are only so many notes available, so I too say it's your tune....... :)

Griffis, Chord progressions are not copyrightable.
What do these songs all have in common:
Robert Johnson's They're Red Hot
Pink Anderson's Bring It On Home
Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant
John Hartford's Boogie
Bill Boyd's I Can't Tame Wild Women

These, and a lot of other songs all use the same changes.

C C B Bb / A A A7 A7 / D7 D7 D7 D7 / G7 G7 G7 G7/

C C C C / C7 C7 C7 C7 / F F F F / Cdim Cdim Cdim Cdim/

Jim, while I agree with your sentiment, your example is BONKERS and not correct.

A LOT of songs use the chords Imaj, IVmaj and Vmaj such as Gmaj, cmaj and Dmaj and they aren't copyrightable. The chords you pasted were from Alice's Restaurant and they're bonkers. They're breaking the rules of scale tone chords and not many are copying them at all.

Anthony

Another song that uses these same changes, but with a different bridge, is one my parents used to sing, an old pop song called Jada.

Jada, jada, jada jada jing jong jing,
Jada, jada, jada jada jing jong jing,
Just a silly little melody,
But it sure sounds good to me,
Jada, jada, jada jada jing jong jing.

This is a fairy common ragtime progression Anthony. I don't understand what you mean by calling it "Bonkers". I'm unfamiliar with the "rules of scale tone chords" that you referred to as well. If it sounds good, who cares if it breaks a rule.

Another couple of songs that use the same changes are Five Foot Two and Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone.

Then we have the hundreds of songs that use the I vi IV V changes.

Last edited:
Jim, while I agree with your sentiment, your example is BONKERS and not correct.

A LOT of songs use the chords Imaj, IVmaj and Vmaj such as Gmaj, cmaj and Dmaj and they aren't copyrightable. The chords you pasted were from Alice's Restaurant and they're bonkers. They're breaking the rules of scale tone chords and not many are copying them at all.

Anthony

All these years I didn't know there was a scale tone chord rule book. Only rule I've ever been told is "Don't miss the beat."
Nice work Jim.

Scale tone chords.

There are 7 notes in a scale. In the key of C major its, c,d,e,f,g,a,b. in any major key the progression goes, tone, tone, semitone, tone,tone,tone, semitone.

That's the notes. For the chords the progression is, I major, II minor, III minor, IV major, V major, VI minor, VII diminished.
In a key of C major the scale tone chords are C major, D minor, E minor, F major, G major, A minor, B diminished.

At this point I'm hoping those chords are familiar to everyone. There are millions of songs in the key of C which only use the chords C major, F major and G major. Progressions using only those 3 chords or in any key, I major, IV major and V major aren't copyrightable.

The example given may be from a song that's so old and out of copyright that its technically correct but as examples go its still bonkers.

Anthony

The example I gave had at least 5 songs with the same progression. I know there are many more, but those were all I could think of at the time.
The point I was trying to make is that you cannot copyright a chord progression, no matter how bonkers it is. The same is true with titles of songs - not copyrightable.
Lyrics and melody are another matter entirely.

If it sounds good......play it! Nice one Jim. I quite often here little bits of other songs within songs. Even my own made up tunes, hubby will say, "Hey that sounds like "?" LOL I hate when he says that cuz there was no song in my mind at the time :) In your song there are plenty of songs with that particular walk down, and this one....is yours!

Top Bottom