NUD! Mainland Mahogany Soprano!

deschutestrout

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've posted a NUD! Yes, UAS still plays a part in my life :p

I just recently started liking the soprano scale ... previously I found it a bit confining and prefer concerts and tenors. Plinked on a couple of sopranos and said "I need one of those!"

So, contacted Mike at Mainland about a possible "2nd" available. He had some so I ordered a matte finish with chrome friction tuners. They use a quality friction tuner, and I've had them before on a couple other Mainlands that mistakenly got rehomed. They work great!

One piece top, back and sides ... Impressive build for such an "affordable" uke! I've always been a fan of the rope binding too.

Changed strings from the Aquilla ... not a fan ... and put on Freemont Hards ... one of my favorites. Noticeable change in tone. I like!
IMG_0481.jpg
IMG_0485.jpg

Thanks Mike! GREAT to deal with you again! This soprano is beautiful. You sure produce lovely ukes!

Last edited:
I love the mainlands. How's your seconds amount to in terms of visible blemishes? If they're highly unnoticeable I'd look into trying them again.
I bought a first quality once and it came with two unacceptable blemishes I had to return it. I'm willing to try again at the lower price.

Chrome friction tuners? You mean the metal parts not the actual peg heads I assume.

The matte is interesting. Enjoy!

I love the mainlands. How's your seconds amount to in terms of visible blemishes? If they're highly unnoticeable I'd look into trying them again.
I bought a first quality once and it came with two unacceptable blemishes I had to return it. I'm willing to try again at the lower price.

Chrome friction tuners? You mean the metal parts not the actual peg heads I assume.

The matte is interesting. Enjoy!

Would not have found the blemishes without the clue Mike gave me. Only noticeable if you're looking rather hard for them. Minor as can be.

Tuners - chrome hardware, pearl buttons ... just added a photo.

I have one of these!

Love mine!

Mike donated two sopranos like this (regular tuners--which is fine for our purposes) and two concerts to our program. While there has been a little bit of extra work keeping them humidified, it is great to have them around and to let students use them to experience playing a better uke than the Caramels and Waterman that we have (the Caramels are good--but Mainlands are a big step up).

One of my plans is to drive to Indiana this summer, visit the Goat Milk Factory for my wife (letting her buy whatever she wants) and going to Mike's set-up and buying a Cedar/Rosewood Tenor for myself (maybe with the MiSi, maybe not if the new iK Multimedia Stage would work).

Mike donated two sopranos like this (regular tuners--which is fine for our purposes) and two concerts to our program. While there has been a little bit of extra work keeping them humidified, it is great to have them around and to let students use them to experience playing a better uke than the Caramels and Waterman that we have (the Caramels are good--but Mainlands are a big step up).

One of my plans is to drive to Indiana this summer, visit the Goat Milk Factory for my wife (letting her buy whatever she wants) and going to Mike's set-up and buying a Cedar/Rosewood Tenor for myself (maybe with the MiSi, maybe not if the new iK Multimedia Stage would work).

Mike seems like a total stand up guy! I would love to visit his place .... next time I'm in the mid-west I'll have to put that on my radar.

Congratulations! I love the way Mainlands look, that binding is 1st class. Not too may of them around here, but a close friend has one and she loves it.
Definitely more than worth the dough.

The red cedar tenor is next on my list. I'm hoping they post to Australia.

Yay Mark. Nice Uke. I'm a fan of rope binding.

Yay Mike. Great choice picking this out for Mark.

Thanks all! Day two ... I like her even more than day one! Strings have settled and she sounds great! And, visually very pleasing. Thanks Mainland!

Top Bottom