Uke Cases...

Fuzzbass

Reaction score
What's everyone's favourite case for their precious Uke's?

I have a tweed Kinsman hard case for my Kala Tenor. I liked it so much I bought a soprano size for my Rob Collins Uke. Unfortunately it didn't quite fit in because of the strap button locations. Southern Ukulele Store were as helpful as always and exchanged it for a TGI hard case. This thing is built like a tank, and although I love the tweed of the Kinsman, the finish both inside and out on the TGI is great. I'd recommend both makes without hesitation.

I have a gig bag for my Noah Concert which does just fine, nothing fancy, but it works. Anyone have any gig bag recommendations? :)

http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/Product/2012/Kinsman-Deluxe-Concert-Ukulele-Hard-Case-Tweed

http://www.southernukulelestore.co....S-Soprano-Ukulele-Case-very-tough,-best-value!

I vouch for this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JJFV1K0/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Most inexpensive traditional hard shell case and free delivery quick.
Pricing is comparable to the more well known musicians gear uke hard cases but mine don't have any of the issues pertaining to cheap quality on the musician gear ones. But that's just me, ymmv.

I love the case, it is like a solid sturdy mini guitar case. Soprano size:

Attachments

• 20170120_114156.jpg
    20170120_114156.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 44
Super duper LOVE the new Oahu leather-covered fiberglass case I got this week from the Uke Site (mahalo, guys)!!!

It's a big step up from their old hardshell cases, from top to bottom. And the baritone size fits my odd-body long-neck Kanile'a super tenor nicely. :)

Super duper LOVE the new Oahu leather-covered fiberglass case I got this week from the Uke Site (mahalo, guys)!!!

It's a big step up from their old hardshell cases, from top to bottom. And the baritone size fits my odd-body long-neck Kanile'a super tenor nicely. :)

Ditto. Small, light, strong. Perfect for going here and there. And the backpack straps are comfy! Not all are...

Fuzzbass: have you looked at Fusion gig bags? They are a UK company, located in your neck of the woods. They even make a double bag that holds 2 ukes.

+1 for the Oahu Fiberglass cases, I just posted a quick review with pics in the review section

I use one lightly padded gig bag with backpack straps in which I carry any of my ukes when I go out with them most of the time, also a dual case in which I carry a uke in one compartment and a stand and my 13.3" tablet in the other compartment. I also have a Godin Multiuke that came with a very nice gig bag, but it's so heavily padded and has a neck pad and strap that is too cumbersome to use all the time.

I did buy one of those foam cases a few years ago, but also found it to be cumbersome, but with my last custom from Bruce Wei in Vietnam, he threw in a nice black hard case that will be used if I ever have to pack away a uke for transport. Otherwise the flimsy cheap cases that came with a uke were given away.

I have an early version of the tweed cases (branded stagg) on which I had to replace latches, and the covering has peeled off here and there - nothing some glue can't fix.

I've got two TGI cases, which are bulkier, lighter and more resistant - I've scratched them against wall and dropped them, but you can't see any damage.

Very nice are rectangular cases, looking a bit like briefcases. I've got a faux-leather one and a simple black one (branded Hudson and Boston resp.), and the advantage is that you can carry a lot of extras in them, especially unfolded song sheets.

The gator ones are 'tanks': heavy, bulky but so strong you can stand on them.

I do like bags, but they serve a different purpose: not on a bike or at the bottom of an overloaded car trunk.

The best cases I've had where an Ameritage that came with an NRP ukulele (handsome AND strong) and the case that came with an Anuenue 1879 Vision (fitted like a tailored glove: the case seemed smaller than the uke it contained!).

When I bought my Kala tenor uke from Sweetwater I also bought a Kala hard case (price $43). It's a middle step between a truly hard case with a wooden or molded plastic shell and a gig bag. It's lightweight like a gig bag but it's got a hard shell to offer better protection against hard knocks or having something heavy placed on top of it. It's very much like my violin case and my mandolin case. One great advantage of this type of case is that it has an external pocket into which I can place my Mugig uke stand and other things I might want to carry with me which are too big for the internal storage compartment, which is a great place for spare strings.

Mine is the Oahu case. Well made with an arched top. Well worth the upgrade from HMS. Here is a pic of it on my NUD.

Attachments

• NUD Opio.jpg
    NUD Opio.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 43
For my new Cedar and Solid Rosewood Tenor I decided I needed a hard case, and found this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311077174262?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I liked that it was brown and not black, the price was right, and after receiving it was surprised. The only thing I would criticize is the metal work is pretty thin but will do the job. It fit my TK-50G very well, the velour inside is thick, and the Uke doesn't move at all inside. In fact it needs slight pressure to go in. It smells like real leather and the python pattern is well done. There is a little box under the neck for a tuner, strings, picks, and capo so it's agreat deal for under 30 bucks.

Top Bottom