NUD:Primrose Soprano from Mitch McDonald at CSL

OhioBelle

Reaction score
Sorry to post a teaser, but actual pics and diets (and Fiero) tomorrow! I am so excited about this one that I just HAD to post!

For a sneak peek, here's the link to the Canadian School of Lutherie. Mine is in the gallery of past work. Mostly guitars featured, but there is a uke or two. Any guesses which is mine?

http://www.canadianschooloflutherie.com/instruments1.html

As promised!

First, the details:

Soprano built by the wonderful Mitch McDonald of the Canadian School of Lutherie on Prince Edward Island.

Top: reclaimed cedar from an old church pew
Back and sides, fretboard, neck: curly maple from Ontario
Nut: shed moose antler found in the woods (how cool is THAT???)
Saddle: vintage bone
Bridge: maple burl
Tuners: Waverly friction

How did I stumble upon it? While trolling Reverb. I have no business trolling Reverb. Yet there I was...

Pics in next post!

sorry for the wonky pics! they aren't upside down on my Macbook, LOL! I tried to outsmart it and rotate the pics on my laptop before attaching, and they STILL came out upside down!

anywhoo...

IMG_5747.jpgIMG_5748.jpgIMG_5749.jpg

Wow.....holy binding blinge batman. That is amazing looking and the cedar top is primo. Should sing like a church choir........see what I did there. :cool:

Just heavenly. Make sure you play some hymnal songs on it.

Oops yeah I see someone already has posted a cheesy spiritual joke.

Wow.....holy binding blinge batman. That is amazing looking and the cedar top is primo. Should sing like a church choir........see what I did there. :cool:

Yep, singing and saying amen! Ha ha ha!

And yep, that is some serious perloid binding everywhere! I am usually not terribly fond of perloid all over the place, although I LOVE crazy figured wood. I would rather the wood take center stage. In this case, with the blonde tonal palette, I think it works. If the wood were dark, I don't think I'd like it at all.

Forgot to say the rosette is actually snail shell. There's a lot of color sparking from it, isn't there? Pink and green and lavender. Another one of CSL's "found" items.

Last edited:
So it shipped with D'Addario Titaniums. Hmmmmm.... the pale translucent lavender looks good with the uke. But I'm not sure I like them. They feel too fat. I already know I don't like nylons for the same reason. I've got some other soprano strings on the way. Meanwhile, I am trying to figure out how to get the best out of these.

Congratulations, that must be a one off uke. Very unique, I'd say. I hope you enjoy it, you deserve it!

Top Bottom