Finger planes

DPO

Reaction score
Made these over the Xmas break. Pretty simple and work really well.

Attachments

• tmp_4161-IMG_20170201_130928-449776370.jpg
    tmp_4161-IMG_20170201_130928-449776370.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 127
Nice work. I actually really enjoy planing off the waste on my ukes. However I use a cheap Stanley. One of these days I'm going to build as pretty a plane as those. In the meantime I use the utilitarian thumb plane. Ugly and not very efficient. On sale for $8.99 US. Does the job. Has no soul.

stanley plane.jpg

Nice work. I actually really enjoy planing off the waste on my ukes. However I use a cheap Stanley. One of these days I'm going to build as pretty a plane as those. In the meantime I use the utilitarian thumb plane. Ugly and not very efficient. On sale for $8.99 US. Does the job. Has no soul.

View attachment 97471
Thanks, I was amazed at how easy they where to make and how well they performed. Mostly scrap materials, so very cost effective. :D

View attachment 97471

I have 3 of those and actually love them.

Nice job on the planes! You've got some lovely wood in your scrap bin.
Woodworking is another passion of mine. I have a handful of plane blades waiting for shop-made planes they can occupy. One of these days…
In the meantime Little Victor from Lee Valley does an impressive job :)

15p0101s4.jpg

Just one old 10" table saw blade and a grinding disc should yield at least a dozen blades for small planes. They're usually made of decent tool steel.

There are some great videos on YouTube on heat treating and tempering steel for a cutting edge. Fairly simple and straight forward stuff.

Top Bottom