Comparison- Low G vs High G

Nice one Vic. I spent a few months thinking that linear tuning was best, but then switched one of my concerts to High g and liked the re-entrant. Then I got a baritone and the low D string broke so I tried a High d on it and really loved the Ukulele sound of it. When I tried switching my tenors to dGBE, I got hooked on G tuning. To me it sounds fuller and it gives more range to the instrument.

My Uke Buddy just got a baritone and likes low D, but he is coming from ~40 years of guitar, so we play both and they sound good together. I don't think one or the is "Best" but do prefer the re-entrant, at least for now. Who knows what I'll prefer in six months. ;) I'm just atarting the Ukulele Aerobics course and have a lot to learn. Perhaps after I learn the inversions and other "advanced" stuff I will change, but for now I'm having fun.

Thanks Jack.

The most important thing is that the uke is fun. Enjoy, no matter what tuning you choose.

Ahhh... the Low vs High G! I can almost guarantee that the ones who prefer the Low G are guitar players like myself. If I string one up with standard strings, it just feels... wrong. LOL. It is not wrong or right, as VCS pointed out. It's just a matter of preference. Plus I feel like I can play my same set list with a Low G uke as I do with a guitar. I do play by ear, so I am driven by what I hear, and what ultimately sounds correct to me. I have recorded a lot of original music, and I found that when I hear something in a track that is not there, but my mind keeps putting it in there, I am only satisfied when I actually put that part in there. Obsessive compulsive? Maybe, but at the end of the day it comes down to preferences with all of us.... and I personally love that low G thang!

Thanks for the vid! I bounce back and forth between reentrant and low g- usually it's based on what music I'm trying to learn. Jake, Kalei, Andew M, Aldrine, etc. mostly use high g while Israel, Taimane, Daniel Ho, etc. mostly use low g. Since I'm a one ukulele guy right now I just change the strings when I'm wanting to try something new (and I change strings a lot).

I prefer low G I think it's better for singing with, high G to me is more of an instrumental tuning

Thanks for the video Vic - I'm really enjoying your blog :) I thought that this time around you offered a very well-balanced critique of the two tuning options discussed.

Post some more bari stuff! :p

As a mainly melody picker, low G is on nearly all my ukes, I can need to go below middle C on some of the tunes I like.
I am at the down strumming stage, when doing chords, so it works best for me there as well, giving a fuller sound. :)

Thanks everyone. I am glad you enjoyed the comparison. I haven't done a tutorial yet. That may be next. We'll see.

Thanks for posting! It's a nice review and, at least makes me think about trying low G, again!

Top Bottom