Finish bumps, bubbles, or pimples in pore-filled gloss finish?

Doc_J

Reaction score
Any suggestions about what to do for glossy finish with bumps, bubbles, or pimples? Just got a new-to-me Taylor (Builder Reserve) uke with a weird looking and feeling glossy finish. Not sure if this is Nitro, UV or something else. I'm sure it didn't leave Taylor Guitars and Andy Powers looking like this. Curious to what might have caused this to happen?

I'm used to shrink back on pore-filled finishes, but this is the first time I've seen pimples/bumps all over a glossy pore-filled finish.

Is this something that can be wet-sanded away or is this a total refinish?
BTW there's a sunburst to the top and back also.
This condition was undisclosed by the seller. So, trying to decide whether to send it back, keep it as-is, or keep and get refinished.

attachment.php

attachment.php

2017-02-02 04.39.29.jpg2017-02-02 04.49.28.jpg

This is interesting. I have no idea what caused that "bubbling"(?). Maybe someone else has an idea, but that is nasty. It looks like some sort of skin disease. Years ago my Taylor guitar developed a finish problem and it was fixed no questions asked. Taylor's have a life time guarantee on the finish. Or a least they used to way back when... The more I look at that the more it looks like somebody refinished this uke and they were not professionals. This just doesn't look like a factory finish. Way too thick. What is causing those blebs I have no idea, but what I do know is that this finish needs to be stripped. Contact Taylor and see what they say. Obviously if this has been refinished by an owner it would void the warranty.

Bubblewrap during transport? Didn't we have a thread about how it could affect nitro finishes?

Bubblewrap during transport? Didn't we have a thread about how it could affect nitro finishes?
The uke was in a Taylor hard case, so there was no contact with bubble wrap on the recent transport. Can't say what happened before.

The original owner just said that was the finish condition received from the Taylor dealer. It was part of the Builders Reserve series, and the associated guitar in the set also had finish pimples. The Taylor dealer told the original owner that that type of pimple glossfinish was normal. Weird, I can't believe that's how Taylor wanted the finish to look. Ive never seen a uke or guitar intentionally finished to look like that.

Last edited:
I know all Taylor guitars have a Polyester UV finish....not sure what they did with the ukes they built a few years ago....to me looks like some kind of humidity problem I saw a Taylor uke a while back and the finish was super smooth.....

I would send the uke back if you can...it would bug me to keep looking at the bubbles.....

I know all Taylor guitars have a Polyester UV finish....not sure what they did with the ukes they built a few years ago....to me looks like some kind of humidity problem I saw a Taylor uke a while back and the finish was super smooth.....

I would send the uke back if you can...it would bug me to keep looking at the bubbles.....

Yes Len, the pimply finish does bother me, too. I can even feel it. It's going back to the original owner.

Hey Hodge, sorry to hear about this problem. I have owned a few Taylor guitars, and never seen this issue. I am practically certain Taylor did not send it out like this. Hopefully you're covered by Paypal or other resolution.

Can you tell us about the tone. I have looked and not been able to find a sound sample of any of these Taylor ukuleles.

The uke was in a Taylor hard case, so there was no contact with bubble wrap on the recent transport. Can't say what happened before.

The original owner just said that was the finish condition received from the Taylor dealer...The Taylor dealer told the original owner that that type of pimple glossfinish was normal.

Taylor would never have released an instrument in that condition like that... I take it you are hearing this story from the "original owner". No dealer would say that. Well some might, but no reputable dealer would say something like that.

Hey Hodge, sorry to hear about this problem. I have owned a few Taylor guitars, and never seen this issue. I am practically certain Taylor did not send it out like this. Hopefully you're covered by Paypal or other resolution.

Can you tell us about the tone. I have looked and not been able to find a sound sample of any of these Taylor ukuleles.
Thanks, the seller was very understanding, and really thought that the finish was mint.

It had a very nice, resonant, projecting, clear, warm tone, tuned to b-flat (even with the Aquila Nylgut strings it came with IDK how old they are). Nice uke, expect for the bumps. I was wavering about returning it. Short sound sample for you in b-flat : https://app.box.com/s/1mnbw3sqmikffiaj7fo3ucl67kq3g865

Took a peak inside with the dental mirror: 3-fan braces but no bridge plate.

I would bet the finish is a polyester, and the pore fill is some UV cured one as well. And that something has gone wrong with the pore filler. If that's the case, then there is nothing that's going to fix that uke that would ever be economical. So either learn to love it, or send it back.

If that is an original Taylor finish, chances are it came from the Mexico factory where the quality control is very lacking. Don't ever believe Taylor wouldn't send out an instrument with a bad finish. I had a Taylor GSmini guitar which was very poor. The staining was very patchy and had bled into the edges of the spruce top. I complained to Taylor in Europe who eventually arranged for it to be collected and replaced. The person I dealt with said he was having trouble finding one from stock which didn't have the same problem, so sent me the best of what he had available. That also had the bleeding, although to a lesser degree. I accepted this and then promptly sold the guitar. I would not buy a Taylor guitar again.
I would suggest contacting Taylor , as they do seem to try and sort the problem out, if if not always to a satisfactory conclusion.

I'd say, as a person who does a lot of carpentry, and has some experience with wood in general, that this defect had to of happened pretty much at the same time the coating was applied, as it dried to be more precise. I can't see this happening afterward over time. It may be possible the owner tried to add their own coating to make it thicker, perhaps even to hide worn areas or something like that, and gave it a fresh clear coat, which bubbled.

I'd send it back, personally. It's pretty unsightly. You could possibly sand it out, but you'd also thin the whole coating, and it's a whole lot of effort and risk.

Last edited:
From my experience, that looks like there was moisture under the finish when it was applied. The poor QC scenario described by mikeyb2 sounds like the most reasonable explanation to me.

-- se

I would not buy a Taylor guitar again.
I would suggest contacting Taylor , as they do seem to try and sort the problem out, if if not always to a satisfactory conclusion.

This is an ukulele forum and this is off topic for sure: but I love the sound of Taylor guitars. True, I have had problems with finishes over the years. Eventually I just didn't really care how the things looked, just how they sounded. My favorite Taylor basically looks like a dog that has a case of the mange, but the thing still chimes like I like to chime. Also, I my experience with Taylor has never been anything but pleasant and accommodating... I think the OP likes the sound and maybe just because it looks like an ukulele with a case of small pox is OK. Just gives it character.

Thanks, the seller was very understanding, and really thought that the finish was mint.

It had a very nice, resonant, projecting, clear, warm tone, tuned to b-flat (even with the Aquila Nylgut strings it came with IDK how old they are). Nice uke, expect for the bumps. I was wavering about returning it. Short sound sample for you in b-flat : https://app.box.com/s/1mnbw3sqmikffiaj7fo3ucl67kq3g865

Took a peak inside with the dental mirror: 3-fan braces but no bridge plate.

Glad to hear about seller being understanding! Thanks for taking the time to do a recording. Nice playing! I really like the tone!

Top Bottom