NUD--My tenor Fluke arrived today.

plastuku

Reaction score
I thought I was going to get some advance notice of shipment, but the UPS truck just rolled up early this afternoon and the guy quietly put the package on my porch.

First impressions ... I almost panicked when I tried to tune it up; the G tuner didn't seem to want to move for my old arthritic fingers, but I finally got it to work. I'm having to get used to Pegheds, but they seem nice enough.

Oh, the packaging--! This thing was buried in layers of bubble-wrap. You'd almost think the folks at MFC were afraid of package-handlers (HAHA!).

It came strung with some kind of white D'Addarios, in reentrant. Me no do reentrant any more; I'm drifting into some chord arpeggio stuff and need linear, so ... I had some left-over string sets that I had to buy extras of to get a minimum order at, Elderly, I think (?). Okay, I decided to sacrifice a low G from one of those. They're GHS Sarah Maisel Signature sets. I had to take the low G string and my new acquisition to the basement and deploy the micrometer and tip cleaners; got a perfect fit, went back upstairs and installed the new string. Found out cats like to play with uke strings; he stole that one and I thought I'd halucinated.

And yes, I could have ordered it low-G from the factory, but I didn't.

Tune, tune, tune, tune ... Strings are still too new, stretching. Tune, play a couple chords and everything's going flat faster than I could keep up with it ... y'all been there. Finally (later) it stays tuned (almost) long enough for me to play with it for a few minutes--and I hear some weird little string-squeak. Had to make sure ... yep. When I brush my thumb across these strings, they actually squeak. New experience; didn't appeal to me. So then I just swapped out the rest of the strings from that broken set. BTW, that's a weird string set: low G is fluoro; the rest are Platinum nylon. Tune, tune, (doo-dah, doo dah), play--new strings are settling in faster, and no squeak.

Action: OMG, I'd swear the action on this is even lower than the one on my OU. I didn't think that was possible.

Sound: I LIKE it. Lots of sustain, nice full tone. The tone of the D'Addario strings was markedly nasal, especially the C string. There's a place for that; I may actually seek it out someday, just not now. The new strings don't do that.

Looks: I'm still getting used to the straight-line headstock; it just looks wrong after seeing them all lean away from the fingerboard all my life. I'll adjust. Fit and finish are good enough for basic stuff (I went low-priced). I'd have liked a little more wood-grain on the top, but, ya gets what ya pays for.

I was surprised at the position markers: little aluminum dots. I need a sticker or something for third fret; I'll probably put a little dot of paint on it.

Am I glad I got it? YES.

Should you get one? Sure, why not?

My cat steals uke strings, too! ;)

Glad you like your Fluke! Someday I will get one, too.

Yeah, I couldn't figure out what had happened. I finished the adjustment, put the tools away, picked up the uku--and the string was gone! I know the cat didn't get up on the bench. I must have dropped the string and he got it. I had the flashlight out, looked everywhere in the room (very tiny room)--nothing! I went out of the room, and there's my string on the basement floor, with the kitty looking at it.

I also really like the flat end of the body. I just stand it next to my reading chair.

Congrats

...and enjoy your new uke!

I have had the disappearing string thing happen to me, too! My cats don't discriminate. They also like guitar strings.

I thought I was going to get some advance notice of shipment, but the UPS truck just rolled up early this afternoon and the guy quietly put the package on my porch.

First impressions ... I almost panicked when I tried to tune it up; the G tuner didn't seem to want to move for my old arthritic fingers, but I finally got it to work. I'm having to get used to Pegheds, but they seem nice enough.

Oh, the packaging--! This thing was buried in layers of bubble-wrap. You'd almost think the folks at MFC were afraid of package-handlers (HAHA!).

It came strung with some kind of white D'Addarios, in reentrant. Me no do reentrant any more; I'm drifting into some chord arpeggio stuff and need linear, so ... I had some left-over string sets that I had to buy extras of to get a minimum order at, Elderly, I think (?). Okay, I decided to sacrifice a low G from one of those. They're GHS Sarah Maisel Signature sets. I had to take the low G string and my new acquisition to the basement and deploy the micrometer and tip cleaners; got a perfect fit, went back upstairs and installed the new string. Found out cats like to play with uke strings; he stole that one and I thought I'd halucinated.

And yes, I could have ordered it low-G from the factory, but I didn't.

Tune, tune, tune, tune ... Strings are still too new, stretching. Tune, play a couple chords and everything's going flat faster than I could keep up with it ... y'all been there. Finally (later) it stays tuned (almost) long enough for me to play with it for a few minutes--and I hear some weird little string-squeak. Had to make sure ... yep. When I brush my thumb across these strings, they actually squeak. New experience; didn't appeal to me. So then I just swapped out the rest of the strings from that broken set. BTW, that's a weird string set: low G is fluoro; the rest are Platinum nylon. Tune, tune, (doo-dah, doo dah), play--new strings are settling in faster, and no squeak.

Action: OMG, I'd swear the action on this is even lower than the one on my OU. I didn't think that was possible.

Sound: I LIKE it. Lots of sustain, nice full tone. The tone of the D'Addario strings was markedly nasal, especially the C string. There's a place for that; I may actually seek it out someday, just not now. The new strings don't do that.

Looks: I'm still getting used to the straight-line headstock; it just looks wrong after seeing them all lean away from the fingerboard all my life. I'll adjust. Fit and finish are good enough for basic stuff (I went low-priced). I'd have liked a little more wood-grain on the top, but, ya gets what ya pays for.

I was surprised at the position markers: little aluminum dots. I need a sticker or something for third fret; I'll probably put a little dot of paint on it.

Am I glad I got it? YES.

Should you get one? Sure, why not?

Congrats on the purchase. They are made like tanks, aren't they.

I'm a little confused about the comment where you said you went for the basic stuff. You also mentioned that you went for the Peghed option. Were you talking about the laminate body and you upgraded just the tuners?

I've found that nail polish is great for creating fret markers on the side of the neck. Lasts much longer than Sharpie ink. :)

Top Bottom