The Volume of a Ukulele

willisoften

Reaction score
Recently wanted to send one of my grandfathers Ukes to Australia to my younger sister. And going through various customs regulations to make sure that it won't be destroyed in an effort to protect Australia's beautiful woodworm from ugly foreign woodworm......

I finally came to carriage: ParcelForce UK actual weight 3.5kgs
Volumemetric Weight L x W x D / 5000 = 9Kgs lets say 10kgs

"That will be £158 please with extra for adequate compensation."

Now it is possible to use a slower service and save a little money, but the less time it spends in transit the better. It would be possible to use less packaging but we have already seen were that leads. So if anybody is buying a UKE from the UK :) remember we aren't trying to rob you someone is trying to rob us!

Finally If your vintage Martin only ways 305g nobody gives a flying monkeys at the Post Office.

Recently wanted to send one of my grandfathers Ukes to Australia to my younger sister. And going through various customs regulations to make sure that it won't be destroyed in an effort to protect Australia's beautiful woodworm from ugly foreign woodworm......

I finally came to carriage: ParcelForce UK actual weight 3.5kgs
Volumemetric Weight L x W x D / 5000 = 9Kgs lets say 10kgs

"That will be £158 please with extra for adequate compensation."

Now it is possible to use a slower service and save a little money, but the less time it spends in transit the better. It would be possible to use less packaging but we have already seen were that leads. So if anybody is buying a UKE from the UK :) remember we aren't trying to rob you someone is trying to rob us!

Finally If your vintage Martin only ways 305g nobody gives a flying monkeys at the Post Office.

I'm not sure about your maths for the volume (I'm happy to take your word for it) but just to p*ss on your chips a little more I'm pretty sure that musical instruments are excluded from Parcel Force's enhanced compensation provision.

I forget exactly but for example: 70cm x 20cm x 30cm / 5000 = 8.4 or in Parcelforce speak volumetric weight. You are correct musical instruments are excluded from enhanced compensation. I guess if you want a service you pay for it, but it came as surprise. I have Kanilea K1 Concert I wanted to sell as well, I guess it will have wait for a buyer locally.

£158 = AU$250 = a decent uke from an Australian shop. Heirlooms are nice, but is the object to get your sister a uke to play? Most UK people I know have friends or family that come and go from Australia, especially over the Euro summer, it may be only a matter of time until you can find a willing uke mule to transport the heirloom, and in the meantime your sister could have picked up a nice uke and be playing happily. Just a suggestion.

Nope my younger sister is much more of a musician than me.
There are two ukes belonging to my maternal grandfather, I rarely play either, so one is going to each sister. Perhaps to be passed on to my nephews. (I have no children.)
Personally I don't remember the man, my elder sister remembers him fondly. My younger sister doesn't remember him but she has a sense of family history and nostalgia which I don't possess, though I know a fair bit of it and seem to be in possession of the documents and artifacts.

Perhaps I'll visit Australia again but at this point it is unlikely.

Top Bottom