Great vintage Gibson find

EDW

Reaction score
Over the years I have often heard of someone coming across some great instrument at a real steal and often wondered why I never seem to find one of those. A few weeks back I was browsing the local Craigslist. Usually it is an assortment of low end instruments or maybe a decent vintage instrument with the seller looking for big bucks.

This time I saw an old "The Gibson" Uke-2 at a great price. I came back to the listing a few times over the next few days, but kept telling myself that I was not really playing much and not in the market to buy. I was shocked to find it was still there a couple of weeks later. I was sure someone would have snatched it up. By this point the seller had actually lowered the price! After consulting with a few people, including a couple folks here on the board, I couldn't resist and had to snatch it up.

It had a couple of minor issues, including a small crack and some of the type of wear you would expect for an instrument of this age. Otherwise, the instrument was in great shape, although it was impossible to tell anything about the sound as the strings were ancient and quite dead. I cleaned it up and recently brought it to a great luthier who fixed the issues very quickly and beautifully. The repairs are nearly invisible unless you know where to look.

As it play it more and more, I find that it is a remarkable sounding instrument. It has a real warmth and depth to the sound with good volume and nice clarity. It is a real pleasure to play.

Attachments

• Gibson uke-2.jpg
    Gibson uke-2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Wow. What an awesome story.
Nothing sounds better then old mahogany.
I'm still waiting for my big vintage score.
Congrats.

Congrats, bargains are wonderful. It's gorgeous.

Lucky dawg!! Congratulations!

Fabulous find!

But dang! Now I gotta start trolling Craigslist... LOL!

Congratulations! I've heard many times that old Gibson ukes are just as nice as Martins.

That's a dream find. Love those old Gibsons. I'd always wanted a vintage Gibson guitar, and although I had a chance to grab a couple I never pulled the trigger. Finding my style2 gibby fulfilled that desire for me. Lots of mojo in those little beast.

WOW! Congrats on the find. Play it daily! All I find on Craigslist are a bunch of overpriced entry level ukes, priced higher than retail. LOL

Absolutely beautiful. Amazing that it sat there in plain sight for all that time.

Top Bottom