James Hill on tour

Cornfield

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just saw that James Hill is playing at Old Town Scool on Saturday. We have a commitment and can't be there so we decided to drive to East Lansing and see his show there on Friday.
They have a ukulele strum before the show tomorrow so I'm taking my new Mo Bettah and the Mya-Moe Lao steel.

Enjoy the show! We expect a full report....

I didn't even know who James Hill is until one day my mom called me. "There's a guy calling himself 'The World's Best Ukulele Player' who's going to do a concert at the theater I volunteer at. If you want to go I can get front row seats".

I said, "I don't care who he is. You don't give yourself a title like that without at least having SOME skills. I can't wait to see him!"

Then I googled his name. My March event calendar is; Elton John concert > Backcountry ski trip > Journey concert > James Hill concert.

Ugh why am I just finding out about this now? My in-laws are in town :( but it appears my wife may be OK with me sneaking out early to catch the concert.

I didn't even know who James Hill is until one day my mom called me. "There's a guy calling himself 'The World's Best Ukulele Player' who's going to do a concert at the theater I volunteer at. If you want to go I can get front row seats".

I said, "I don't care who he is. You don't give yourself a title like that without at least having SOME skills. I can't wait to see him!"

Then I googled his name. My March event calendar is; Elton John concert > Backcountry ski trip > Journey concert > James Hill concert.

Pretty sure he'd never make that claim himself, but you'd better believe concert promoters and the rest of us will call it like it is! Great story. Wish he'd tack on a Hawai'i tour one of these years. His music is even better in person.

Hi John -

Thanks so much for calling this one out. As it turns out, I happen to be in Chicago that night - with my daughter who plays cello! There were tickets available, so we are both going.

I owe it all to you - thanks so much!

:bowdown:

I'm looking forward to seeing him (and Anne Janelle) in southern Vermont a week from tonight. I agree with Brad – JH doesn't strike me as someone who would call himself that (even if it could be true).

It s intermission at the concert. Very few people have left. They are a great couple of performers. He plays ukulele with incredible flair. His setup includes a couple tenors and a soprano while she plays cello. Many original songs. They also play some traditional songs but with their arrangements.
He also stomps a pedal board fantastically. I guess my old band teacher never told him to stop tapping his foot.
It was well worth the 4 hour drive to get here.

The second set was better. More original songs and a few covers. James played his Ike's, a harmonica and a violin. The encore was a moot to be missed version of Micahark Jacksons Billie Jean.

It s intermission at the concert. Very few people have left. They are a great couple of performers. He plays ukulele with incredible flair. His setup includes a couple tenors and a soprano while she plays cello. Many original songs. They also play some traditional songs but with their arrangements.
He also stomps a pedal board fantastically. I guess my old band teacher never told him to stop tapping his foot.
It was well worth the 4 hour drive to get here.

James said that there is a tradition (from Canada) of stomping the feet for rhythm on a board under your feet. It's HARD to do!!!! LOL

I long ago gave up hope that James and Anne would travel to Connecticut. I saw this thread and checked his schedule and lo and behold they will be in Madison Ct. next Sat. the 11th.
They are playing at a church that hosts a lot of different string concerts. Darrel Anger, a well known violinist recently did a show there. I contacted them and got 2 seats for my wife and I. We both have birthdays this month so it's a great way to celebrate. The tickets are only $20 so that's a steal.
What a treat it will be to hear them. I have barely come down from seeing Jake in November and now this. Don't know if my heart can stand all this excitement!

I'm going tonight! Unfortunately just me as my wife will be staying with home with her parents/in-laws. Can't believe I'll get to see one of my uke heroes in person!

I'm going tonight! Unfortunately just me as my wife will be staying with home with her parents/in-laws. Can't believe I'll get to see one of my uke heroes in person!

You will enjoy this! Have fun. He has a workshop before hand. Wish I could be there.

First row! Shoes starts soon. I caught James in the bathroom doing some voca warmups. He's much bigger and taller in person!

IMG_0152.jpg

Intermission. First act was out of this world! James technique is impeccable - his flat picking is insane and his fingerstyle is unreal. Set list below for 1st act. I'm so happy!

Ah poor bird
New moon
Waiting (Anne original)
(Anne original)
Hand over my heart
If wishes were horses
Ode to a frozen boot
Black is the color of my true love's hair

2nd set

Assam/like a bird (claw hammer)
Anne original feeling beautiful
The brightest lights
Will you
Eva Cassidy - time to go
Village Belle
Promenade (alamande)

James is seriously one amazing musician. Very versatile. Flatpick, fingerstyle, strumming, chord melody, claw hammer, he did it all. The percussive elements were awesome, he used a wooden board which he used his feet to create percussion as well as a foot bell wrap thing. Played an excellent bluesy number on fiddle, very impressive. Had a great conversation with him at the end of the show about teaching and some of his upcoming books, and got to talk about his technique as wel!

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

My wife and I as well as some friends went to hear James and Anne perform last evening. The performance was held in a congregational church in Madison Conn. What a wonderful night of music we heard.
James is a flat out amazing musician. Not only is one of the very best on ukulele, he sings very well and plays real good fiddle. He's also a very witty guy onstage, very dry sense of humor. He's also much taller than I thought.
While Anne may not be as well known as her husband she's a first rate cellist and has a wonderful, earthy voice. She sang several of her own songs. She's an excellent songwriter. Very pretty as well.
They are also travelling with a 17 month old son named Alder. I can't imagine how hard that must be.
The church was serving home made ice cream after the show. James hung around eating ice cream, signing cd's and posing for pictures. He's an awfully nice young man. Anne came out for a little while but did not stay too long. I'm sure she was taking care of their son.
They closed the concert with a fiddle and cello piece. I believe the name was A Song ForAll Seasons. The piece was written by a Canadian fiddler/composer named Oliver Schroer.
Jim and Liz Beloff were in the audience. They live in the area. They have a performance coming up on Feb. 24 at The First Congregational Church in Branford Conn.

Last edited:
Top Bottom