Ukulele craze over? For hawaii locals only

I would imagine that the popularity of the ukulele worldwide has made the instrument (once again) easy to find back at home instead of buying on the spot; also the impact of smart phones and shipping. When I buy something, I tend to look online for pricing, so if something is cheaper and easier to just buy online, I often do it that way. Also, there is a chance that your local music store has basic ukuleles for a starter instrument or basic care items.

With ukuleles, ordering online can be a risky decision, getting a lower price model that doesn't play well. But there are plenty of online quality retailers including Hawaii's own "The Ukulele Site."

So...the ukulele's popularity and wide availability hurt specialty stores (except for the good ones)

But I bet a ton of cheap Chinese-made wall hangers still sell in tourist shops to unknowing tourists.

Yup the fad is over........sell all your ukuleles to me. :music:

But I bet a ton of cheap Chinese-made wall hangers still sell in tourist shops to unknowing tourists.

I realize there are literal wall-hangers made for tourists that are not designed to be played. I've seen them.

But these days almost any of the cheap, Chinese, mass-produced ukes that are meant to be actual, playable instruments are actual, playable instruments.

CNC machines and internet word of mouth have seen to that.

Back in the 70s when I started playing guitar and bass, much of the truly cheap Asian stuff was junk. Those days are over.

You can buy inexpensive, well made, consistent, decent players all day long. It's a good time to be a broke musician!

But these days almost any of the cheap, Chinese, mass-produced ukes that are meant to be actual, playable instruments are actual, playable instruments.

Griffs, just so you know...I am one of the loud voices in support of Caramel ukuleles, as we have bought 50 of them for our school. There are plenty of good ukuleles from around the world, but what i am referring to are the ukuleles that aren't made for playing, but to be a souvenir saying "Aloha from Hawaii" that goes on the wall and isn't really meant to be played.

And there are a lot of bad cheap ukuleles out there, too. But you are right--there are plenty of great low cost options these days.

Age old wisdom:

Moderation in all things except moderation and the gods punish you by giving you what you want.

Practice and play and enjoy.

Da Ansa ? ?? Nah..jus one of many ansas.

One day my daughter and I were discussing if everyone saw the same colour the same way. I thought they did....until I had a cataract removed from my right eye, but yet had the left eye as a reference point of how I had formerly seen things. What an amazing difference! Does this mean what sound good to me might sound different from what you hear? My older daughter is cursed with perfect A440 pitch. She would want me to drive either faster or slower so the sound of the tires wasn,t a quarter tone off. What might sound wonderful to someone might not to someone else. Not all of the world tunes to A440.

Top Bottom