Eyesight problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbuck

Reaction score
My vision started getting a bit blurred after Xmas.. I thought it was due to me drinking too much over the festive season but the problem didn't go away.:(
I just got back from the Eye Clinic I had all sorts of lights and things shone into my eyeballs ..Then the Doc told me I have a cataract problem and it will get worse. so it looks as if i'll have to book in for some surgery if I want to keep on building...Old age Sucks :uhoh:

My vision started getting a bit blurred after Xmas.. I thought it was due to me drinking too much over the festive season but the problem didn't go away.:(
I just got back from the Eye Clinic I had all sorts of lights and things shone into my eyeballs ..Then the Doc told me I have a cataract problem and it will get worse. so it looks as if i'll have to book in for some surgery if I want to keep on building...Old age Sucks :uhoh:
Yes it does. I used to have a pilot's licence and four years ago I was diagnosed with ocular migraines. There went my pilot's license. Actually I still have the license, I'm just not allowed to use it. It was probably a good thing that it was diagnosed though. I wouldn't have wanted to continue flying after they figured out what was happening with it. But flying was something that I had done my entire adult life, and it was tough to give it up.

Ocular migraines...I get them as well..no pain or headaches just a colourful light display that lasts about 30 minutes.
I get those as well. And yes growing older does suck.

Ocular migraines...I get them as well..no pain or headaches just a colourful light display that lasts about 30 minutes.
Exactly. I'd never even heard of them before I was diagnosed. With everything that comes with old age though, over all, things have been pretty good so far.

Last edited:
Welcome to the old fogies club Ken. I'v been told to wait until the cataracts get worse as they tend to re-grow after a few years

It is a bummer to get old. I wear trifocals in the shop so I can see to run the table saw and up close. Fortunately, my progressive lens work for the uke, but I need to use my 10" table with zoom to see my music. Have avoided the other eye problems so far (knock wood)...

We have been fortunate to have very good double coverage for vision insurance, so last year I had a pair of safety glasses made with the prescription such that the distance is about the same as what I use when I'm using the band saw or a chisel. They have been great, very clear, and I actually wear the darn things, since I like being able to see. :)

Well, on the positive side, replacement lenses will do a good job of correcting nearsightedness.
I'm looking forward to that.

I also get ocular migrains, and i've just had my second cataract surgery. My distance vision is fine now, even without my glasses, but to see closeup stuff and read small print, i use a magnifying glass in addition to my reading glasses. No one mentioned dry eye. My watering eyes full of tears drive me nuts when i'm trying to read. I dunno why they call it dry eye.

And yes, i am one of you who think that old age sucks, and i've thought so for a long, long time. :eek:ld:

What you are seeing Ken are called "scintillating scotomas" and have nothing to do with cataracts. I've been getting these things for at least 30 years and then they go away quickly. The bright blue red green light things that look like a bad acid trip and last for about 20 minutes. I'm told they are due to a serotonin imbalance in the brain. I gotten used to them over the years and they don't bug me like they used to. Just get used to the idea that you can't read or work for about a half hour. Very bad to use a band saw when you can't see. The cataract thing however will have to be fixed and that is different... Yes, growing old sucks.

Think about this: We make ukuleles and then we make ukuleles badly and then we die. Hey, that's life... Must be a song in there somewhere.

I didn't know that ocular migraines were that common. I've heard that herbal intake will keep cataracts away and could help endure the ocular trip.
I've enjoyed my very late maturity. The falling apart just gives me a reason to take it easy.

If Kamaka can make ukuleles with deaf builders.....you can probably manage with blurry vision

Ken, you might check into having your eye lenses surgically replaced. I had cataracts and my eye doctor replaced both of my eye lenses. They called it cataract surgery. They do one eye at a time with about a 10 day break in between surgeries. Since having it done, I am able to see again without corrective lenses except for close up work where I need reading glasses. It was truly a miracle to me, I had worn eyeglasses my entire life. My eyes had got to the point where it was difficult to see well at night when driving.

I recently had cataract surgery. My vision had deteriorated due to cataracts that I had to use glasses to drive at night. Although, even with glasses it was becoming an issue. I had mono-vision lasik 15 years ago (one eye corrected for distance, other eye left alone for reading) so that's what I opted for with the cataract surgery. The first lens replacement eye, my reading eye, went fantastic. I was very excited for the second surgery, and the very high probability that I would not need glasses. The second surgery did not go so well. I have had corneal inflammation and corneal swelling ever since (about two months now), which causes blurry vision, light flares, halos, etc. I was better off without having the second cataract removed. It's being treated and is expected to resolve, but it could take months. In the mean time, close up is find, distance is horrible. The majority of the time, cataract surgery is quick and effective. But there are possible complications. I fell into that very small percentage of complications. I'm not saying don't do it. I'm saying go into it with your eyes wide open (pun intended).

I have read that if you have a lot of spare cash, you can get soft flexible lenses that work just like the original for far and near sight..lotto win needed i think :rolleyes:

Well its been a few weeks since my eye test....and to be honest I have been pretending that my condition aint too bad and I can delay having surgery until later on (really I'm an old scaredycat) :uhoh: ..but the Doc phoned me this morning and told me I was booked in (gulp)..the date is not confirmed yet.

Hi Ken
I work in operating theatres, helping with anaesthetics (including eye theatres)
If you are having your cataracts sorted, once you have the 1st one done, you will wonder why you worried.
I have never had one done but I have seen a few hundred! (I even wrote an article on ophthalmic anaesthesia for the Oxford Handbook of Perioperative Practice)
The procedure to numb your eye is very quick, and lets go as far as to say it is 'weird': lots of drops etc.. but just go with it.
As for the actual cataract removal? you just have to lay still for around 15-20 mins while the procedure/operation is carried out. The outcome WILL BE amazing.
Best wishes...

PM me if you want any more advise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom