PDA

View Full Version : Finally one I think I can finish

Ukemakinmecrazy
02-06-2017, 04:45 AM
Without being disappointed every time I look at it.

Pheasantwood back and sides, sycamore bindings, cedar top.
Spanish style neck.
Pau Ferro fretboard

printer2
02-06-2017, 12:56 PM
Looking good, now for the neck.

tobinsuke
02-06-2017, 03:20 PM
Looking good!

I had to google pheasant wood - very pretty stuff! How was it to work with?

Love the binding as well!

OSUker
02-06-2017, 05:32 PM
Wow, that box is impressive - love the combination of woods. Is it a tenor?

Ukemakinmecrazy
02-06-2017, 05:50 PM
Actually bent fine and wasn't bad to work with.
If you are a wood nerd (like I am) the grain in this wood is spectacular. Looks like pheasant feathers.

Looking good!

I had to google pheasant wood - very pretty stuff! How was it to work with?

Love the binding as well!

Ukemakinmecrazy
02-06-2017, 05:51 PM
Wow, that box is impressive - love the combination of woods. Is it a tenor?

It is, thanks. I really like the sycamore contrasting with the pheasant wood.

Ukemakinmecrazy
02-06-2017, 05:55 PM
I'm debating (with myself) using either the Ebay bridge shown in the earlier photo, or a whale shaped bridge I made out of a piece of pau Ferro I had left over after I made the fretboard. I'll post a photo of the whale bridge, maybe you guys can help me decide.

sequoia
02-06-2017, 07:53 PM
The nice thing about ukuleles is that pretty much anything goes unlike guitars where there is such a set pattern. A whale bridge works on an ukulele I think. Probably not so much on a guitar. I say go for it... I notice like it seems that you have compensated the saddle a little skewed to the tenor side. That gets to be a bit of a slippery slope since an uke is stringed up non-reentrant. Depending on your tuning of course. Me, I'm a traditionalist by nature and just use a classical guitar shaped bridge. So boring. In the end I think a bridge is just a bridge. I just want it to do its job and not be a point of adornment.

Ukemakinmecrazy
02-07-2017, 03:34 AM
It isn't hard mounted yet, so I can adjust the position of the bridge to remove the compensation you mentioned. Yeah I am new to building ukuleles so I am just playing around with options. I think I routed the saddle groove a little too deep on the whale (fixable I suppose), so I may stick with the Ebay bridge on this one.

The nice thing about ukuleles is that pretty much anything goes unlike guitars where there is such a set pattern. A whale bridge works on an ukulele I think. Probably not so much on a guitar. I say go for it... I notice like it seems that you have compensated the saddle a little skewed to the tenor side. That gets to be a bit of a slippery slope since an uke is stringed up non-reentrant. Depending on your tuning of course. Me, I'm a traditionalist by nature and just use a classical guitar shaped bridge. So boring. In the end I think a bridge is just a bridge. I just want it to do its job and not be a point of adornment.

Ukemakinmecrazy
02-24-2017, 06:46 AM
Progress, neck finished, fishtail headstock finished with pheasantwood faceplate. Gotoh UPTL tuners look awesome.