Finally one I think I can finish

Ukemakinmecrazy

Reaction score
Without being disappointed every time I look at it.

20170206_083140.jpg

20170206_083200.jpg

Pheasantwood back and sides, sycamore bindings, cedar top.
Spanish style neck.
Pau Ferro fretboard

Last edited:
Wow, that box is impressive - love the combination of woods. Is it a tenor?

Actually bent fine and wasn't bad to work with.
If you are a wood nerd (like I am) the grain in this wood is spectacular. Looks like pheasant feathers.
Looking good!

I had to google pheasant wood - very pretty stuff! How was it to work with?

Love the binding as well!

Bridge decision.

I'm debating (with myself) using either the Ebay bridge shown in the earlier photo, or a whale shaped bridge I made out of a piece of pau Ferro I had left over after I made the fretboard. I'll post a photo of the whale bridge, maybe you guys can help me decide.

2017-02-06 22.01.07.jpg

Last edited:
The nice thing about ukuleles is that pretty much anything goes unlike guitars where there is such a set pattern. A whale bridge works on an ukulele I think. Probably not so much on a guitar. I say go for it... I notice like it seems that you have compensated the saddle a little skewed to the tenor side. That gets to be a bit of a slippery slope since an uke is stringed up non-reentrant. Depending on your tuning of course. Me, I'm a traditionalist by nature and just use a classical guitar shaped bridge. So boring. In the end I think a bridge is just a bridge. I just want it to do its job and not be a point of adornment.

It isn't hard mounted yet, so I can adjust the position of the bridge to remove the compensation you mentioned. Yeah I am new to building ukuleles so I am just playing around with options. I think I routed the saddle groove a little too deep on the whale (fixable I suppose), so I may stick with the Ebay bridge on this one.

The nice thing about ukuleles is that pretty much anything goes unlike guitars where there is such a set pattern. A whale bridge works on an ukulele I think. Probably not so much on a guitar. I say go for it... I notice like it seems that you have compensated the saddle a little skewed to the tenor side. That gets to be a bit of a slippery slope since an uke is stringed up non-reentrant. Depending on your tuning of course. Me, I'm a traditionalist by nature and just use a classical guitar shaped bridge. So boring. In the end I think a bridge is just a bridge. I just want it to do its job and not be a point of adornment.

Last edited:
Progress, neck finished, fishtail headstock finished with pheasantwood faceplate. Gotoh UPTL tuners look awesome.

1487954893018-353103124.jpg

20170215_063123.jpg

Attachments

• 20170224_104416.jpg
    20170224_104416.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Top Bottom