FS: Ohana SK-35 + Hard Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdmccullum

Reaction score
I posted this earlier this morning on the wrong board. Sorry for the double post.

I'm selling my Ohana SK-35. This is the matt finish version with friction tuners. It's been my daily player for a little over a year and this is the uke that convinced me mahogany is the tone I like. But since I bought my mahogany Kiwaya, I don't play it much.

One thing to note. The tuners it came with were the standard Gotoh-UKB. I upgraded the tuners to Gotoh-UKA tuners which are lighter and turn smoother.

Asking $125 plus shipping.

The Stagg case is included.

View attachment 97632View attachment 97633View attachment 97634View attachment 97635View attachment 97636

I predict this will sell today

I'm selling my Ohana SK-35. This is the matt finish version with friction tuners. It's been my daily player for a little over a year and this is the uke that convinced me mahogany is the tone I like. But since I bought my mahogany Kiwaya, I don't play it much.

View attachment 97632View attachment 97633View attachment 97634View attachment 97635View attachment 97636

I don't want to hijack the thread, but when you get a chance, would you mind comparing the ohana and kiwaya? It would be interesting to hear from someone who owns both.

Thank you!

I had a PM with the same question so there must be interest in comparing them. I’m not sure I have the expertise to do a proper comparison but I’ll do my best. Keep in mind that this is a comparison between a $1070 uke from japan vs $180 uke from china. Those are the street prices for both but obviously you can find them used for less.

The SK-35 is strung with M600 strings and the Kiwaya is strung with Worth browns. They have a similar sound quality. The Kiwaya is louder and seems to have a bit more depth to its voice. I have not done any recording but I suppose I could hijack my daughters 4 track digital recorder and put something together.
The finish on the Kiwaya is smoother than the Ohana. Somewhere in between a matte and gloss finish. The neck on the Kiwaya is a tad wider. I think 1/16th of an inch. Not much but I do notice it. The frets are smaller on the Kiwaya. This was the big adjustment for me when I first started playing it. You can’t play sloppy on the Kiwaya. But when played well, it rewards you . The fretboard material seems different between the two. Both are fine but the Kiwaya seems a bit smoother. Almost like it’s been polished. Both ukes were setup but the Kiwaya, with its smaller frets, has a lower action. Construction is different. The kerfing on the Kiwaya is smaller than the Ohana and the bracing shows a bit more attention to detail.

The Ohana is a wonderful ukulele. It was my daily player until I bought the Kiwaya. It’s definitely the instrument I would recommend for those looking for a good all solid soprano and not sure if they should spend a lot of money on one. There really isn’t anything bad I can say about it. It’s just apparent that more time and effort was put into the construction of the Kiwaya. You can feel it and hear it. Is that extra attention worth 6x the price…….well that’s for you to decide. Everybody has their price point. I was lucky to pick up my KTS-7 for a good price otherwise I would have been waiting MUCH longer to buy one new.

Hope that helps.

Kurt

I had a PM with the same question so there must be interest in comparing them. I’m not sure I have the expertise to do a proper comparison but I’ll do my best. Keep in mind that this is a comparison between a $1070 uke from japan vs $180 uke from china. Those are the street prices for both but obviously you can find them used for less.

The SK-35 is strung with M600 strings and the Kiwaya is strung with Worth browns. They have a similar sound quality. The Kiwaya is louder and seems to have a bit more depth to its voice. I have not done any recording but I suppose I could hijack my daughters 4 track digital recorder and put something together.
The finish on the Kiwaya is smoother than the Ohana. Somewhere in between a matte and gloss finish. The neck on the Kiwaya is a tad wider. I think 1/16th of an inch. Not much but I do notice it. The frets are smaller on the Kiwaya. This was the big adjustment for me when I first started playing it. You can’t play sloppy on the Kiwaya. But when played well, it rewards you . The fretboard material seems different between the two. Both are fine but the Kiwaya seems a bit smoother. Almost like it’s been polished. Both ukes were setup but the Kiwaya, with its smaller frets, has a lower action. Construction is different. The kerfing on the Kiwaya is smaller than the Ohana and the bracing shows a bit more attention to detail.

The Ohana is a wonderful ukulele. It was my daily player until I bought the Kiwaya. It’s definitely the instrument I would recommend for those looking for a good all solid soprano and not sure if they should spend a lot of money on one. There really isn’t anything bad I can say about it. It’s just apparent that more time and effort was put into the construction of the Kiwaya. You can feel it and hear it. Is that extra attention worth 6x the price…….well that’s for you to decide. Everybody has their price point. I was lucky to pick up my KTS-7 for a good price otherwise I would have been waiting MUCH longer to buy one new.

Hope that helps.

Kurt

It does, and thank you. I, like you, got an excellent price on a Kiwaya (KTS-6). I held off on an Ohana in hopes I would find an affordable Kiwaya, but had nearly daily anguish about whether to just buy the Ohana instead. It sounds like I would have been all right ed either way. Good luck with your sale. I'm still rather tempted!

That is a great price for a NICE uke and well fitting hard shell case with set up and tuner upgrade. I love the M600s on my Ohana SK-35GS. Someone is going to score!
Also, thanks for saving me from my complete Kiwaya crush with all that great comparison info. I think I will just go play tonight instead of looking at Kiwayas. Though I KNOW i am going to have a KTS-7 someday soon. Maybe I don't have to be in such a rush to purchase after all and can enjoy what I have! Much obliged!

Last edited:
The Ohana SK-35 series is outstanding. I have the gloss-finish model and love it. Somebody's going to get a bargain and a keeper.

I had a couple of packs of m600 from last Xmas I bought I never used them until now. I swapped out the c and e strings (the two fattest and thuddy Aquila strings I never liked) on the cordoba and I agree..the martin fluorocarbons are much better.

PM Sent.....

Excuse me for being off topic but was any reaming of the holes needed when changing tuners or was it a simple switch. Looking for something a bit better but easy to do.

The Gotoh-UKA tuners are slightly wider than the UKB tuners. What I did was roll up a small amount of 60 grit sand paper and spin it inside the hole to widen it. It took a bit of patience but it worked perfectly.

There has been an offer but it's not a done deal yet. Here are the two pictures of the upper bout. I had to get the angle and lighting just right to show the wear. I literally had to put a light 10 inches away to see this.
IMG_20170207_051138487.jpgIMG_20170207_051308968.jpg

I've got three offers to buy, so even though the sale isn't complete, I'm going to close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom