Uke Club--FUN!!

BluesPreacher

Reaction score
I had heard about a local ukulele club that meets the first and third Saturdays of each month, in a (big) local music store. I picked up their card at that store and emailed the club pres. He answered quickly and told me I was very welcome.

So, I showed up for their meeting/rehearsal/jam, and I had a BALL!! Very nice people, good musicians, fun songs, and a roomful of ukes: a number of sopranos and concerts, along with a few tenors, a bari (when I played it) and a bass. I also played my banjo uke at times.

They invited me to join them for a gig they had that night, playing for an hour at a high school fundraiser. At first I declined, but I decided, heck, it's so much fun, I'm in! And it WAS fun!

I'm going back as often as I can!

Glad you had a blast. I wish there was something like that in my area.

You might consider starting one. Put up posts here specifying your area, plus in local music stores in your area. You never know how many people play the uke and would like to participate. Oh and also try Meetup online.

I know I'm very lucky to live in a big city that has many choices. Being retired and deciding to switch from guitar to ukulele a little over three years ago, I joined a senior center uke "classes" twice a week with about 50 regular members, which also became a gigging group to the senior center and to senior living facilities, hospitals, local city events, etc. It's been great fun. I even took up the bass uke, which I've been playing almost exclusively the last year plus.

I'll try just that. Thanks.
However, trying to get something started and then either no interest or none show up , is hard to deal with emotionally.
Rejection is tough!

Yeah, me too. I live at the beach, you would think there would be some more ukers around.

Glad you had such a blast. Playing with other people is so important and so much fun.

I go to a great one in Melbourne. Really good to play songs you wouldn't normally consider.

I go to a great one in Melbourne. Really good to play songs you wouldn't normally consider.

That is one reason I joined up on the Seasons of the Uke. Each week is a challenge for me and I get to hear all kinds of music I never considered playing or ever heard. I have a hard time keeping up with the hardcore Ukers but it is fun and International too!

I play periodically with a group of retirees in Sun Lakes, Southeast valley of Phoenix. It's a lot of fun playing with others. I didn't think I would like it (shy/ scared of playing out) but it's a really good time. Definitely recommended.

I'm glad you're having so much fun! After 2 years of playing on my own off the internet I joined a group and had a blast too. Unfortunately now that I've been playing for around 8 years, they are still playing the same old songs, over and over and over. It seems the 'good' people move on and we only get newbies. I love newbies and love to teach them this exciting instrument. Our leader however always wants to keep things simple for the beginners now. In the days that I was first involved we used to have jams for the upper ukers and it was fun to watch, try to play along. We don't have that anymore ):

Started my own club 2 years ago and it went swimmingly for the first year then people trailed off (I'm out in the boonies!). One couple did not want children in the group. I did so they left. Then the center that I was hosting at (for free) closed down. The regulars met at my house for a while. Then I started having the meeting at a senior apartment complex. They seemed excited at the first meeting. Then.......crash........no one comes. I had to close her down for now. It's not easy running a club!! So kudo's to all of you who can keep it up!! Glad you found some fun. Hmm, guess I was kinda gabby....sorry!

I had heard about a local ukulele club that meets the first and third Saturdays of each month, in a (big) local music store. I picked up their card at that store and emailed the club pres. He answered quickly and told me I was very welcome.

So, I showed up for their meeting/rehearsal/jam, and I had a BALL!! Very nice people, good musicians, fun songs, and a roomful of ukes: a number of sopranos and concerts, along with a few tenors, a bari (when I played it) and a bass. I also played my banjo uke at times.

They invited me to join them for a gig they had that night, playing for an hour at a high school fundraiser. At first I declined, but I decided, heck, it's so much fun, I'm in! And it WAS fun!

I'm going back as often as I can!

Please let us all know where you live, it is nice to have the locations.

What uke club was it? I'm in western suburbs (Glen Ellyn), and am always curious about the local uke clubs. I've went to the FRUSOP group in Oak Park which meets Thursdays, and I try to do the first Tuesday of the month at Tiki Terrace with the Wonderwall group, but schedule and distance sometimes prevents me. Let me know and hope to see you sometime in the future!

Please let us all know where you live, it is nice to have the locations.

I live in Galesburg, IL, about 3 1/2 hrs. west and a little south of Chicago. The club meets at West Music in Moline, IL.

I live in Galesburg, IL, about 3 1/2 hrs. west and a little south of Chicago. The club meets at West Music in Moline, IL.

Very cool. My wife is from Geneseo, quad city love! Maybe if I happen to be in the area when we are visiting family I'll make it out to West Music.

Very cool. My wife is from Geneseo, quad city love! Maybe if I happen to be in the area when we are visiting family I'll make it out to West Music.

Cool indeed! First and third Saturdays of every month, 1-3pm. West Music, Moline.

When I first moved to the QCA, people would ask me how I liked the Quad Cities. I would tell them, "Love the people, hate the weather." I do love the people in the QC. Mostly very neighborly and friendly. The weather--not so much. I grew up in Green Bay, WI--much colder, more snow, less ice, fewer cloudy days.

Top Bottom