Beginner's Video Help

Buddy McCue

Reaction score
I don't have a video recorder or a webcam or anything like that, but I'd like to get one. So many folks have YouTube videos that show themselves singing and playing on the uke. I'd like to do that too!

Are there any suggestions for me? I'm running on a Mac (OS X.) I'm familiar with iMovie and all kinds of graphics programs, and I've made videos using stop-motion, so I'm not a complete newbie. I just don't own a video camera.

If you're curious to see the stop-motion I'm talking about, you can visit my YT channel to see some of that. In fact, I'd like you to; I usually have my own original music as a soundtrack, so this is not completely OT for a music forum:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BMcCue7

Any recommendations that you might have for me would be greatly appreciated.

For best quality and cheapest price, I suggest you use one of those Flip Mino HD's. I think you can find them for around $200. It's got 4 gigs of space, and you can record in 16:9 widescreen. They're ultra-portable too.

I watched "Dancing Shoes," it was awesome. Which other videos of yours are stop-motion?

hey.. i asked this question for a logn time before i got a good answer.. but i am going to tell you what i do.. this is just what i do!! not what is best.. or what everyone does...

1. i open both iMovie and Garage Band..
2. i start the capture on imovie recording my every move
3. i then go over to garage band and start to work on my track.. i lay down the main track, percussion, solos, harp.. etc.. after i have that all tracked out and sounding.. good to me.. i export it to itunes..
4. i go back and stop the video.
5. i then pull parts of the video that i want into my project
6. i lay down the single audio track down and lay the video over the top.. doing my best to match them..
7. i turn the imovie volume OFF on the video.. and just let the mp3 stand as the audio

this can take 1-6 hours depending on how many tracks i have.. how much i want to cut back and forth.. how well i want it to match.. if i need to rerecord parts..

but that is how i do it.. i am sure there are other ways.. but i dont know them..

i hope this helps..

go check out my page www.youtube.com/dominicfoundthemoon and i have like two videos i have done this on so far.. so i am a TOTAL new person to this.. i have my most tracked one coming up this weekend.. SUB me if ya like..

someone should make a how to video on this.. it took me forever to figure it out..

the more you do it.. the faster it goes.. my number 3 video went so much faster than 1 and 2 did..

d

For best quality and cheapest price, I suggest you use one of those Flip Mino HD's. I think you can find them for around $200. It's got 4 gigs of space, and you can record in 16:9 widescreen. They're ultra-portable too.

I watched "Dancing Shoes," it was awesome. Which other videos of yours are stop-motion?

hey.. how much video will 4 gigs hold.. will those hold a card? how is the audio on those?

i might be moving and i want something to record on the move..

d

Holds 60 minutes of HD-quality video (1280 x 720 resolution at 30 frames per second; 16:9 widescreen) on 4 GB of built-in memory.

Audio is recorded in AAC format at 44.1 kHz from a built-in wide-range, omni-directional microphone.

I don't have a video recorder or a webcam or anything like that, but I'd like to get one.
Do you have a newer Mac? If so, the built-in camera can be used in conjunction with iMovie.

'fraid not...

Do you have a newer Mac? If so, the built-in camera can be used in conjunction with iMovie.

It's an eMac (OS 10.3.9) and no camera. The iMovie app works great though, and I'll certainly use it in conjunction with whatever camera I decide to get.

Top Bottom