Take your uke to the ICU!

sopher

Reaction score
Funny story.

Recently spent 3 days in the hospital, 2 of them in ICU. My wife brought in my Pono and I spent 3 days fingerpicking instrumental songs. I claim degree of difficulty points since I had an IV in both hands for the entire time. It was a huge hit. Apparently the bar for what constitutes good entertainment in the hospital is pretty low. Think Killer Babe Magnet in a Target Rich Environment. I think I was visited by everyone in the hospital by the time I left. The chaplain claimed I did more to raise people's spirits than she did.

You never know where a uke will make a difference!

sopher

That's a great story, aside from the part where you are hospitalized(!)

The past three years I've had a few hospital stretches myself. Never dawned on me to take my ax.

Hope you are well!

Great thread!

Most people in the ICU are vented. And if you are not vented, don't stay there very long. Probably want to be sure IVs are not in hands, you're lucky you did not blow a vein. Great way to get your spirits up when trapped in the hospital though!

Get better fast!

Wow. I like that story!

Petey

Nice. Great memories have been created.

Glad you are home, and hope you are recovering!

Awesome story of the power of the uke!

Last time I was in the hospital, I told the doctor I missed my uke more than I missed my dog. He said that was wrong. As I am (unfortunately) hospitalized fairly often, I just bought a soprano, for ease of playing while lying down. Very glad you are out of ICU, and that you didn't need a ventilator. Though you could probably still get the big laughs if you played Ventilator Blues. Stay out of the hospital.

That is a great story- life is a musical with a uke in the house

Great story! Hope you recover quickly.

cheers

I take my soprano or sopranino to the VA med center with me and play softly while waiting my turn. I get some smiles and funny looks but no one has asked me to stop playing.

Top Bottom