Deep, Resonating, Low Sounding Tenor Ukuleles

UkeInTW

Reaction score
I love deep low resonating sounding tenor ukuleles. Of course, one can go lower to a baritone sized uke, but that is for another thread. Maybe sacrilege or confounding to those that like a traditional ukulele sound, but I do like a guitar like sound, even if I prefer the ukulele size/strings. But, of course, there is so much more to a great sounding uke than just this, as have to have good tone, clarity and balance and I also like chime sounding highs too. So, it is not to say that I only like this one kind of uke, but for the sake of this thread, interested to hear people's opinions on what are some of the "best" deep and low guitar like sounding ukes out there. And can also throw in strings that lend to this sound into that discussion too. Thanks!

I have a Kamoa tenor ukulele with a cedar top strung with Southcoast ML-WB stringset. It's about as close to a guitar sound of any uke I've heard.

I have an Ohana TK-50G Tenor with a cedar top that has so much low resonance that it hurts. I don't know if it is the cedar or the lightness of the bracing that makes low G hard to play. However if you use the right techniques, the highs are bell like and the tone is beautiful.

Try a warm sounding tenor in B-flat tuning.

BTW a Compass Rose tenor was designed to have a very guitar-like sound, especially in lower tunings.

Last edited:
I have a koa Vento (made in Hilo). Deep and rich voice with a low g.

I go for that specific sound on all my tenors. I have rehomed many great ukes that did not meet that "tone" criteria. Pono Pro Classic tenors top the list for best bang for the buck in a guitar like sounding tenor. I like a soft wood top, Spruce, cedar, redwood on a hardwood back, rosewood, macassar ebony, Koa, walnut.

I have LFDM, I'iwi, Pono and Webber tenors in the line up at the moment that have that big full resonant sound . The Pono pro classic cedar top with macassar ebony back and sides is a great instrument without getting into custom build pricing. I've had it 2.5 years and it has out lasted much more expensive tenors

Last edited:
I just bought a Kanilea Islander spalted maple tenor that's really deep and resonant -- much more so than the Ohanas and Kalas I tried at the same shop. It's a laminate, so I imagine a solid Islander or Kanilea would be rich and deep as well.

I go for that specific sound on all my tenors. I have rehomed many great ukes that did not meet that "tone" criteria. Pono Pro Classic tenors top the list for best bang for the buck in a guitar like sounding tenor. I like a soft wood top, Spruce, cedar, redwood on a hardwood back, rosewood, macassar ebony, Koa, walnut.

I have LFDM, I'iwi, Pono and Webber tenors in the line up at the moment that have that big full resonant sound . The Pono pro classic cedar top with macassar ebony back and sides is a great instrument without getting into custom build pricing. I've had it 2.5 years and it has out lasted much more expensive tenors

Dave,

What is your string of choice for the Pono PC?

Dave,

What is your string of choice for the Pono PC?

Hey Vic

I love South Coast HML-WB on this and most of my tenors. I am a huge fan of a wound 4th and 3rd string, gives a very balanced sound. Close second is Oasis low G either warm or bright. Also Thomastik flat wound 0.030" for G and 0.027" for the C strings paired with Oasis E and A strings.

I agree with Hodge on Bb flat and of course it would be linear tuning.

As to luthiers who lean that way, it would be those who generally build for linear turning. I'd include Hive, Kinnard, Lichty, Hannam, Grimes, Ko'olau CS models, Hoffman, etc.

I agree with Hodge on Bb flat and of course it would be linear tuning.

As to luthiers who lean that way, it would be those who generally build for linear turning. I'd include Hive, Kinnard, Lichty, Hannam, Grimes, Ko'olau CS models, Hoffman, etc.

Ditto on tuning down. A "warm" uke is pretty subjective to the person. Like we always say, sound varies a bit from uke to uke in the same model too so saying "all Pono XXXXX 'ukuleles sound warm!" is like saying "all apples taste like this one!" But tuning down is a sure-fire way to get more richness out of any uke.

Hey Vic

I love South Coast HML-WB on this and most of my tenors. I am a huge fan of a wound 4th and 3rd string, gives a very balanced sound. Close second is Oasis low G either warm or bright. Also Thomastik flat wound 0.030" for G and 0.027" for the C strings paired with Oasis E and A strings.

Thanks Dave.

I have a Kanile'a super tenor; it has a wider lower bout than most tenors, wider even than some baritones, and a 19-inch scale neck tuned gCEA. It has resonance, and guitarish-like sustain, but still sounds like an uke to me.

I'm currently using the same Tomastik/Oasis Frankenset that Dave mentioned, though I love South Coast's wound strings too.

Low G, or even DGBE tuning, on a laminate mahogany gives a reasonable tone to my ears. ;)

But, I also like the tone of my tenor scaled solid mahogany concert with low G Living Water strings.
(But not as good as my cedar topped bari DGBE.) :)

My life long preference for the sounds of a well played acoustic guitar led me to my current small collection of tenor and baritone ukuleles. My Hoffman Boat Paddles are set up low g and DGBE for that guitarish tone and sustain. My most recent acquisition is my Pono UL4-30 set up with all steel Martin strings. I know, I know, most will say it's not a "real" ukulele. Those same critics will have probably said that a baritone is not a real uke as well. The titles really don't matter to me. What really matters is the pure pleasure that my bride and I get making "guitarish" music with these wonderful 4 stringed instruments. I'm now finding myself strapping on the tenor or bari when strumming and sing some of Beloff's 365 songs and going to the UL4 when finger picking or Travis picking some of the classic folk or country/western ballads. Every body to their own choices; I've found mine. I hope your journey leads you to your "happy place" as well.

My Sinker Redwood/Rosewood LFDM has amazon tone and bass response. From what I've heard in videos, the Farallons have great tone.

My life long preference for the sounds of a well played acoustic guitar led me to my current small collection of tenor and baritone ukuleles. My Hoffman Boat Paddles are set up low g and DGBE for that guitarish tone and sustain. My most recent acquisition is my Pono UL4-30 set up with all steel Martin strings. I know, I know, most will say it's not a "real" ukulele. Those same critics will have probably said that a baritone is not a real uke as well. The titles really don't matter to me. What really matters is the pure pleasure that my bride and I get making "guitarish" music with these wonderful 4 stringed instruments. I'm now finding myself strapping on the tenor or bari when strumming and sing some of Beloff's 365 songs and going to the UL4 when finger picking or Travis picking some of the classic folk or country/western ballads. Every body to their own choices; I've found mine. I hope your journey leads you to your "happy place" as well.
I think my next build might be a steel string tenor. :)

Thanks for all the feedback. I always use linear tuning on my ukes for the Low G sound. And I can attest to Beau Hannam ukes, LFdM's, and I'iwi's all having a pretty deep guitar like sound. Interesting to hear others and will have to try some other strings as well.

UkeInTW, your description is exactly what I enjoy most in a tenor (and bigger sizes). The most resonant, deep and rich sounding tenor ukes I have come across are Beau Hannam, Ko'olau CS, and LFdM. Like others here, I have them tuned down a step or two (which I find doesn't work with all ukes, but suits the ones mentioned perfectly).

My preference for a deep guitar-like sound has led me to experiment with bigger sizes, such as the Pono Baritone Nui, and the UL4 steel string model. I totally love those, and I hope more makers will venture into big bodied Baritones, steel strings and such.

I felt inspired by this thread and tried Bflat on my tenor. Here's a real quick and dirty chord progression (sorry for the sloppy playing):

I think I like it better like this, I'll keep it tuned Bb for a while :)

Top Bottom