Slide Ukulele?

UkieOkie

Reaction score
So I've been listening to a lot of Derek Trucks and Kike Hosty music lately. Their fantastic use of slide guitar got me wondering about slide ukulele.

Does anybody have any ideas or info on the subject? I know nothing.

Thanks,

Trevor

Last edited:
Derek Trucks plays slide mostly in open E tuning, I believe. (E-B-E-G♯-B-E on a guitar)

I have a slide that fits, and my baritone uke is tuned to DGBD, so i've got it all set up, but i've only fooled with it a few times. It worked, but it's not as easy as i thought it would be.

Someday, i'll give it a serious try, but i'm too busy with other stuff now. :eek:ld:

Thank you folks for all of your replies and information. I have some homework to do.

A slide electric ukulele would be really easy to build, I have often thought of doing one on a skateboard deck. Problem is most folks who have spent the time learning the nuances of slide (I come from a place where I have watched a man practice Lap, Pedal, Weissenborn and Dobro for my entire life...I call him dad) don't want to be limited by four strings.
That said Mya Moe made one for a while and no longer does...it never really caught on I reckon. Here is a video of it.
I may whip up a 4 string open C Uke steel this summer...because this thread has me thinking. Be on the watch. Really though it would not be an ukulele...but rather a short scale lap steel. All my dad's friends are going to ask "why?"

A slide electric ukulele would be really easy to build, I have often thought of doing one on a skateboard deck. Problem is most folks who have spent the time learning the nuances of slide (I come from a place where I have watched a man practice Lap, Pedal, Weissenborn and Dobro for my entire life...I call him dad) don't want to be limited by four strings.
That said Mya Moe made one for a while and no longer does...it never really caught on I reckon. Here is a video of it.
I may whip up a 4 string open C Uke steel this summer...because this thread has me thinking. Be on the watch. Really though it would not be an ukulele...but rather a short scale lap steel. All my dad's friends are going to ask "why?"

I think that the steel stringing set up is essential to get that lovely "Bluesy/bluegrass " tone and ring.....and I do think that they sound a bit thin because there is no bass end ...so I'm torn ...One thing I know for
" soytun " though...this chap loves his sycamore back and sides ...and why not ??

TCK ,Dave, you could always whip up a short scale steel based on the guilele to give you some bass line oomph...just a thought ....Cheers

I think that the steel stringing set up is essential to get that lovely "Bluesy/bluegrass " tone and ring.....and I do think that they sound a bit thin because there is no bass end ...so I'm torn ...One thing I know for
" soytun " though...this chap loves his sycamore back and sides ...and why not ??

TCK ,Dave, you could always whip up a short scale steel based on the guilele to give you some bass line oomph...just a thought ....Cheers

I already have a short scale (21") six string lap steel mate...It is beautiful and I built it. Dad and his buddies love it, C6 tuning, but I can't play it to save my life. Sleepwalk yes, but then nothing....Things are hard to play for sure, and I really like instant rewards. LOL- That sycamore sounds like wet cardboard compared to Cherry....but what do I know?

Last edited:
I have a Mya-Moe Lap Steel resonator, the one that was pictured earlier in this thread. I have tried many ukes with slides and found this the best. The steel strings are absolutely essential if you want to play acoustically.
Nylon strings don't cut it unless you are plugged in.
I don't think the wood really affects the sound much. Sound quality depends on the quality of the cone. Mya-Moe used National cones.

For blues, I have been tuning to C7, for other songs to C6. Having the steel strings and the rock solid neck, you can tune it to most anything.

David Lyndley played my uke at the Reno uke fest a few years ago. It starts at around 3:25 on this video

Last edited:
Here is James Hill playing a lap steel resonator while Lil' Rev plays a nylon string resonator uke

I have been messing around with a ceramic slide on a nylon strung concert size uke tuned gCEG. The nylon strings are just as loud when played with the slide as with the fingers. I've not performed with it yet, but my wife has put up with it for a while now. I'll have to try a video. So far it's just an approximation of the Elmore James lick.

Top Bottom