Strings sampler

valde002

Reaction score
Ok. The strings question...

Because I want to explore the silly world of strings and how each one of my ukes sound, I was thinking to get several different kinds and swap them out to see what each sound like on my ukes (without cutting them of course). Then swap each of them out after a short time. (It's musical strings) :p

Before I go gung ho with ordering a bunch, I am asking if you think that the high end strings would make a significant difference with laminates ukes.

Also, want to test out some brighter and warmer strings.

Was thinking of these:

Brights: Worth Clear, Oasis bright

Warm: Worth Browns, Oasis

Anyone like the Aquilas? It seems thal of the laminates come with Aquilas, and I am trying to get away from them.

Any other suggestions?

I have several laminates, and some Kamakas. The Koaloaha came with Worth Clears and I will just keep those on that one.

Thanks!

The difference between your brights and warms aren't going to be too large if you only try flavors of flurocarbon strings. If you really want warm I'd be sure to find a nylon set or similar. I like Savarez Alliance for a warmer sound than my normal Worths.

Bear in mind that (in my experience) strings take a while (weeks) to settle in to their true sound. I'm not one to play musical strings but more often than not when I change strings to something different my reaction is one of disappointment. Then they settle in and/or my ear adjusts to them and I can make a true assessment.

I'm not a fan of Aquilas (preferring fluoros) but they do have a reputation of "driving a top harder", i.e., coaxing more volume from a laminate top. For that reason my only laminate (a travel uke) has Aquilas.

YMMV

The difference between your brights and warms aren't going to be too large if you only try flavors of flurocarbon strings. If you really want warm I'd be sure to find a nylon set or similar. I like Savarez Alliance for a warmer sound than my normal Worths.

Good point. Maybe I will do a study of florocarbons first, then some nylon. I think the stock Aquilas are nylon, so that may at least give my a comparable starting point.

Bear in mind that (in my experience) strings take a while (weeks) to settle in to their true sound. I'm not one to play musical strings but more often than not when I change strings to something different my reaction is one of disappointment. Then they settle in and/or my ear adjusts to them and I can make a true assessment.

I'm not a fan of Aquilas (preferring fluoros) but they do have a reputation of "driving a top harder", i.e., coaxing more volume from a laminate top. For that reason my only laminate (a travel uke) has Aquilas.

YMMV

Does the settling in have to do with the actual string stretching? In which case after some play it will have settled, regardless of it being switched later? Great idea, I will make sure that enough playing time has occurred before changing them. I am not necessarily looking for volume, but for character of sound, I guess you call it. Thanks!

Oasis lights on my Kamaka white label soprano.....wouldn't consider changing them. Bright but not brash.

You're starting out with some good choices, I like Worth Browns on several instruments, solid and laminate. Also, might want to try Martins for bright and Fremont blacklines for warm. Then there's Living Water...not sure to describe as warm or bright, just really nice on my Kanile'a.

Top Bottom