string coil count

valde002

Reaction score
I was eyeing my uke strings to see if I could take them off and re-use them, or put them on a different uke if needed. I noticed that there are several coil twists, or a coil count if you will. Like 4 or 5 coils.

That got me to wondering, how many do you need to have on there? Does it even matter? On some ukes, there seems to be a lot, and I wondered if it would make things less cluttered on the peg if there were just a coil or two.

Less is more as long as long as they don't slip. The more wraps you have, the longer the strings will take to stretch out and the more room there is for tuning problems. The most wraps I ever feel like I need are two - one over, one under to pinch the loose end.

20170210_154441.jpg

just an example, I got this today. I wonder if this was strung at the manufacturer or if the local music store strings it themselves..

View attachment 97724

just an example, I got this today. I wonder if this was strung at the manufacturer or if the local music store strings it themselves..

That looks perfectly normal, to me. I almost invariably wrap a string around the tuner two or three times before pushing it through the hole ... twice through the hole for thin strings. That's how I was shown to do it "way back when", I've never seen reason to change.

It's never caused any problem I'm aware of and potentially might just take the strain off the point on the string where it bends at right-angles to go through the hole.

YMMV :music:

Seems as though I always have many wraps by the time the string is to pitch only exception would be a low g and sometimes the c string. Only remedy I found was to bring the string to pitch and the put a couple of capos on, unwind and then redo with only a couple of wraps. I do like that look better, but decided not worth the trouble (also at that point you would never be able to restring, unless you put on a shorter length scale).

I just pull the string through the hole, facing the nut, then pull it back 2 frets and wind it on, end up with 4-5 winds, no problems! If you take them off and want to put them on an other uke, you have plenty of string left.

You usually need at least two wraps to prevent slipping.
If you get an overwrap, string on string not the post, you most likely will have tuning issues.
I use fluorocarbon strings. I put the string through the hole, remove all the slack (but not tight), loop back through the hole and wind tight.
The strings stretch enough to give me two full wraps on the post.

Top Bottom