Just Finished Southern Cross Fantail

DPO

Reaction score
Neck is NZ Rimu with a Purple Heart fretboard and Kaihikatea Headstock.
Body Purple Heart + kaihikatea. Grover geared tuners, Concert scale.

Based on Brad Donaldsons design, Magic Fluke, Pete Howlets marmite and Saltytri from Ono Ukes "school Uke project" Thanks to all for the inspiration.

Attachments

• SCF1.jpg
    SCF1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 95
  • SCF2.jpg
    SCF2.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 77
  • SCF5.jpg
    SCF5.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 73
  • SCF4.jpg
    SCF4.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 78
  • SCF7.jpg
    SCF7.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Nice one Dennis. I really love it. Everything - the design, the contrasting timbers, the quirks in the soundboard, the shaped soundhole... it's just great.

A couple of questions: I've always wondered how Purple Heart ages. Does it retain that vibrant colour? And what have you made your fret markers out of?

Nice one Dennis. I really love it. Everything - the design, the contrasting timbers, the quirks in the soundboard, the shaped soundhole... it's just great.

A couple of questions: I've always wondered how Purple Heart ages. Does it retain that vibrant colour? And what have you made your fret markers out of?

Hi Dan, the fret markers are Kaihikatea made with a plug cutter. PH will eventually turn a brown shade, having said that I have some 6 or 7 years old which is still purple.

Looks really great Dennis! Might try something like this shape someday...so much I'd like to try :).

Looks really great Dennis! Might try something like this shape someday...so much I'd like to try :).

Thanks, I enjoy building things that are out of the norm. Less competition :rolleyes:

Top Bottom