F/S Kamaka Ohta-San Cedar with Original Hard Shell Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

rappsy

Reaction score
Those that know me, know I love to try out Ukes and have bought, sold, and traded many.

A few weeks ago, a Kamaka Ohta-San in Cedar became available. it was one that was onthe list of Ukes I wanted to try when I first started out, and it was being offered by someone I had bought from a few times before. I knew it would be in wonderful shape and it was.

For those that don't know, the Ohta-San is between the concert and tenor scales at 15 15/16" and is known for it's finger picking qualities, although works quite nicely as a strummer as well.

Unbelievably, a Ohta-San in Koa came up locally a few days later and I couldn't pass up the possibility of being able to compare two such fine instruments in my own home. How often does something like this come up locally? Most of know that we have to order, wait and wait and wait, and then hope we like it. <smile>

After extensively playing of both, I chose the all Koa version, so the Cedar version is now available. It was built in 2013, is in excellent condition, and comes with a hard case. The Cedar Ohta-San is actually in better condition and is newer as the Koa was built in 2005 and was really played, but I like the Koa version more. Some of my other Ukes are Koa so I guess I am a Koa kind of a guy. <smile>

Pictures can be seen at:

https://goo.gl/photos/cdMggwiDRR9xytMN8

The first 4 pictures were taken by the original owner and these are screen shots from my phone. The rest of the pictures were taken by me. There a few little fine marks on the sound board but I couldn't capture them on camera. You have to really look hard for them. You would think that it was almost new otherwise. There is some shadowing in the pictures but a look at another picture and you should be able to see where the shadowing is.

It will include an original hard shell case and the case still has the tag on it. I have changed the strings since these pictures were taken.

The price is $1595 (new is $2200) which will include CONUS shipping and insurance. I will ask you to use PayPal friends and family. If you are uncomfortable with that, use regular PayPal and split the PayPal fee with me.

http://www.kamakaukulele.com/instruments.html

This is the link to the Kamaka site and the specs are at the bottom of the page.

I don't expect this to last long as they rarely come up. If you want an amazing Uke priced right, this is it.

I would very much prefer to sell, but a trade for something really special that appeals to me might work as well.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
OMG - That is an amazing looking uke, never mind an Ohta-San (which makes it even more attractive), and your price is set right at the edge of temptation.

Definitely drool-worthy :drool:

Were I not in downsizing mode right now, and need to be ruthless with myself, I'd love to give this a new home.

Someone will be very lucky to become the new owner of this fine Kamaka! :music:

Are those tuners the Gotoh UPT (looks like friction pegs but due to the internal planetary gears work buttery smooth) in the satin chrome with the ivory, or pearl-white buttons?

I have them with the black buttons on several of my ukes and using any other tuners just feel cheap to me due to the poor performance of lesser tuners...I never wanna go back to any other tuner after playing a uke that has these on.

Good luck with the sale! :)

Last edited:
Beautiful uke Lenny.......................great price too.................shouldn't last long.

What a great deal for someone! I love Ohta-sans and presently have a 100 Year Anniversary spruce top and a 2013 Koa. Previously owned a Cedar top. All wonderful ukes!

If I didn't have one of these already, I'd be snapping this up. Whoever gets this will be getting a good price on a fantastic ukulele. IMO, Ohta Sans are very special.

I got to play this instrument and it is awesome. Amazing tone and playability. The tuners are like butter. It was my first time trying these tuners and now I definitely want them on a uke. Lenny is good people too.

I bought a Ukes from Lenny last year, and it was packed solidly and arrived in the shape as advertised.

It remains one of my favourite Ukuleles still today.

OMG - That is an amazing looking uke, never mind an Ohta-San (which makes it even more attractive), and your price is set right at the edge of temptation.

Definitely drool-worthy :drool:

Were I not in downsizing mode right now, and need to be ruthless with myself, I'd love to give this a new home.

Someone will be very lucky to become the new owner of this fine Kamaka! :music:

Are those tuners the Gotoh UPT (looks like friction pegs but due to the internal planetary gears work buttery smooth) in the satin chrome with the ivory, or pearl-white buttons?

I have them with the black buttons on several of my ukes and using any other tuners just feel cheap to me due to the poor performance of lesser tuners...I never wanna go back to any other tuner after playing a uke that has these on.

Good luck with the sale! :)

Thanks Booli.

They are indeed Gotoh Planetary tuners. I like these so much that I will be buying a set of these Gotoh Planetary's and will be replacing the friction tuners on the Koa Ohta-San I am keeping to these tuners.

IMG_20170213_155028.jpg IMG_20170213_155103.jpg IMG_20170213_155216.jpg

I have also added these pictures to the original picture thread.

https://goo.gl/photos/cdMggwiDRR9xytMN8

Last edited:
what kind of strings are on it?

The pictured strings are the Martin 600 soprano/concerts which I believe are too thin and not the right strings (for me) on this Uke, so they were changed to Aguila's. I knew I would be taking them off and figured that the buyer would take them off, so that is why I didn't cut them and the strings wires are all over the place. I am not sure of the model numbers of the Aguila's. I put Southcoasts on the Koa Ohta-San that I'm keeping and I like it better.

Although not a huge fan of the Aguila's, these do a better job (for me) than the Martins. I am, however, a fan of the Martins and have them on my Tiny Tenor where they work great.

Does this come with a guarantee that I will play like Jake Shimabukuro? :cool:

I would be satisfied if I could play 50% as well as Matt!

Sweet Uke!

Beautiful uke Lenny.......................great price too.................shouldn't last long.

Thanks for the support Steve. Someone will be very happy.

What a great deal for someone! I love Ohta-sans and presently have a 100 Year Anniversary spruce top and a 2013 Koa. Previously owned a Cedar top. All wonderful ukes!

Thanks for the nice words. This model has been in their line for over 50 years, and it's really something to play.

If I didn't have one of these already, I'd be snapping this up. Whoever gets this will be getting a good price on a fantastic ukulele. IMO, Ohta Sans are very special.

The finger picking is amazing. Clear, distinct, and a real pleasure to play. The scale between the concert and the tenor gives it a special place in the Uke world.

...They are indeed Gotoh Planetary tuners. I like these so much that I will be buying a set of these Gotoh Planetary's and will be replacing the friction tuners on the Koa Ohta-San I am keeping to these tuners.

Thanks for the clarification/confirmation.

Having these on your Koa Ohta-San will increase the level of enjoyment since these Gotoh UPT tuners are so easy to use, and light weight too. :)

I got to play this instrument and it is awesome. Amazing tone and playability. The tuners are like butter. It was my first time trying these tuners and now I definitely want them on a uke. Lenny is good people too.

Thanks for the nice words Dan. Those tuners amazed me as well. I will definitely be getting a set and having them installed on the Koa Ohta-San and maybe on other Ukes that I have as well.

I sold Lenny a uke last year, he gave me very specific packing instruction.
He will definitely do the same when he ship his uke to the buyer! Lenny is also not afraid of selling and shipping outside the US. He is very accommodating! Buy with confidence!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Brenda. I have never had a problem shipping anything out of the U.S. I've been lucky with my shipping and have had only issue in all the shipping I have done.

I bought a Ukes from Lenny last year, and it was packed solidly and arrived in the shape as advertised.

It remains one of my favourite Ukuleles still today.

YAY Simon. It's nice to know that you think of me each time you pick up that Uke. :worship:

Woah! She's a beaut.

Thanks Matt. That she is.

Does this come with a guarantee that I will play like Jake Shimabukuro? :cool:

I would be satisfied if I could play 50% as well as Matt!

Sweet Uke!

If only....

I am taking lesson from Matt the great, am showing progress, and definitely could be on the stage with Jake and Matt right now. I would be cleaning up after them or moving cords or equipment around, but I could certainly be there with them......:wallbash:

You just made my day! :)

Aw gee, Matt. Are you blushing????? You deserve all the accolades that you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom