Other flatwound, dark-sounding basses (besides Thomastic Classic N)

2xbass

Reaction score
It's well documented here that many of us like the Thomastik Classic N flatwound, chromesteel basses like CF27, CF30, etc. I'm wondering if people have alternatives to these and specifically any strings that offer different options for tension. I have a new uke arriving this week. It's a 22.25" scale baritone with a floating bridge and the floating bridge seems to have added a lot more to the string tension than I expected it would. I've been playing a Pono Baritone Nui (23" scale) for the past few months and had the luthier try the same strings on the new instrument and they were way too high in tension. This is using the CF30 and CF35 on the bottom and Hannabach 815 High Tension trebles (2nd and 3rd strings). There was deflection in the bridge and the basses cut into the zero fret even after being strung for only a couple of days.

So the uke now has D'Addarios on the bottom and Oasis GPX+ on the top (2nd to the 5th strings) respectively. Unfortunately using CF27 and CF30 (like one would do on a tenor) was apparently too low tension so I need to find something that's the right tension. The great thing about the Hannabach's is they come in five different tension options. I haven't tried the Hannabach basses but I'm pretty sure they are roundwound and I would not like them. I tried the Oasis GPX+ Sostenuto basses recently and did not like them.

I really want something with strong fundamental and not a lot of overtones and smooth windings.

I was wondering about the La Bella 413P Studio strings or the 500s or 900s.

Last edited:
Top Bottom