New guy, did I goof?

Reaction score
OK, so Ill post my lovely into in a second but Im kinda in a bad mood since I did something dumb on a whim.

Today, I sold my les paul and amp and while I was near the guitar shop (guitar center... bleh) I picked up with I was told was a concert uke (Luna tattoo tribal, to be specific).

Well, I just got home after dinner and turns out its a tenor rather than a concert size.

Now, Im all for "the best" I can get but I had asked for a certain size and ended up with the next one up, so Im frustrated.

Should I be?

I cant play to save my life so I had no real experience and about 3 minutes of reading reviews and 20 minutes watching youtube players before going out and getting my very own. Heck, I dont even know if I got a "good" one or not (half the reason I liked it is because Im tattooed from head to toe)

Should I go back and swap it for a concert? Or is the difference not as big a deal and not worth the $30 Id be getting back if I swapped?

Thanks all

I feel like, since you're coming from guitar, tenor might be an easier switch. How does it feel to you? Leaving the store with it should mean you liked it to begin with, so I'd say don't over think it....If it feels right, keep it!

We buy stuff from the store, you find out it doesn't fit right or work the way you want, you go back exchange or refund, we do it all the time. You didn't goof :rollyeyes:

If you can form an E chord without a problem I'd keep it but I found a concert helped me learn a little faster and made my tenor and baritone playing easier. Did they have a concert Tattoo in stock? They probably were just cleaning out the stock room rather than servicing your need. They may not have known the difference, being guitar people.

Did you sell your guitar and amp because you couldn't play them? If you couldn't, think about why not. In some respects, the uke will be similar.

The Luna is probably a decent instrument. If you like it and can afford the $30, no harm in keeping it, it won't be much different than a concert to learn. If you don't like it, bring it back.

I'm trying to figure out if you swapped the Les Paul Epiphone Ukulele and an Amp, or a Les Paul guitar?

At any rate, the Luna (same company as Dean) is an okay series of ukulele. Is yours the cut-out that has the pick-up in it?

I like playing either Concerts or Tenors most of the time...they are just more comfortable for me. I gravitate towards tenors, and surprisingly, while I have a Baritone, it isn't the first thing I pick up.

My biggest concern for you would be what you paid for it. Guitar Center doesn't have much of a reputation in terms of setting up ukuleles correctly, and that Luna's action might need to be addressed. If you don't like the strings, I'd suggest trying the Martin 620s on it to see if you like fluorocarbons instead (as you already played guitar and/or ukulele, swapping strings won't be a daunting task). While strings become a subjective issue here on UU, I think it makes sense to decide whether you like strings like the stock Aquilas (on everything but new Lanikais and high-level Hawaiian ukuleles) which are a nylon formula (Nylgut) or fluorocarbon. Once you determine that, there are many other brands and formulations (if you want to go down that rabbit hole).

Check prices on Amazon, as well as prices elsewhere on the Luna--nothing bad about that ukulele as a starter uke--although fret ends can start sticking out like nearly any other ukulele (requiring attention). I just saw Lunas at a show in Baltimore where that was happening.

So...as long as you like the ukulele, and you didn't get ripped off with its price...play it until it breaks. Otherwise, bring it back.

...play it until it breaks.

Yes. This is the great advice I give myself whenever I buy something later w buyer remorse and can't return. At least get my money's worth and get something out of it. You play and play not only you get a lot of great practice from it but also learn a lot of other things from it so ends up being a worthwhile purchase in the long run. Sometimes it becomes in hindsight, one of the best purchases of your life.

Did you sell your guitar and amp because you couldn't play them? If you couldn't, think about why not. In some respects, the uke will be similar.

The Luna is probably a decent instrument. If you like it and can afford the $30, no harm in keeping it, it won't be much different than a concert to learn. If you don't like it, bring it back.

I had my heart set on a Fender FSR in Vegas Gold (Bass boat gold metalflake) and it wasnt in the cards, so I picked up a second hand les paul. I got tired of trying to find the "right" amp/sound to even get started, plus I have some issues with my hands making things a little more difficult to play (most notably my pinky fingers are 1.5" shorter than my ring finger, which makes glove shopping a nightmare). The $30 isnt an issue really, and my fiancee already made a joke about getting 2" more for the low price of $30...

I'm trying to figure out if you swapped the Les Paul Epiphone Ukulele and an Amp, or a Les Paul guitar?

At any rate, the Luna (same company as Dean) is an okay series of ukulele. Is yours the cut-out that has the pick-up in it?

I like playing either Concerts or Tenors most of the time...they are just more comfortable for me. I gravitate towards tenors, and surprisingly, while I have a Baritone, it isn't the first thing I pick up.

My biggest concern for you would be what you paid for it. Guitar Center doesn't have much of a reputation in terms of setting up ukuleles correctly, and that Luna's action might need to be addressed. If you don't like the strings, I'd suggest trying the Martin 620s on it to see if you like fluorocarbons instead (as you already played guitar and/or ukulele, swapping strings won't be a daunting task). While strings become a subjective issue here on UU, I think it makes sense to decide whether you like strings like the stock Aquilas (on everything but new Lanikais and high-level Hawaiian ukuleles) which are a nylon formula (Nylgut) or fluorocarbon. Once you determine that, there are many other brands and formulations (if you want to go down that rabbit hole).

Check prices on Amazon, as well as prices elsewhere on the Luna--nothing bad about that ukulele as a starter uke--although fret ends can start sticking out like nearly any other ukulele (requiring attention). I just saw Lunas at a show in Baltimore where that was happening.

So...as long as you like the ukulele, and you didn't get ripped off with its price...play it until it breaks. Otherwise, bring it back.

I checked the prices most places for a new one, I didnt see much variance (or enough to justify purchasing elsewhere). FWIW it was $129 and tax. In my search while debating the whole return thing I came across the Les Paul Uke and thought it was neat, but for less cost than what I have and it being electric, I dont think I would have a better instrument.

Mine does not have a pickup, Ill put a link in the bottom so you can see it.

I looked at the action of both the "tribals" they had in stock (one in box, one on the wall) and there was no difference. Ill post pics in a few as well, just in case.

About the frets, the only thing I dont like about it (other than the design being slightly off center and my OCD itching) is I can feel the edges, but only just. Id take a file to them but its not a big deal so far.

Ill probably pick up a different set of strings when it comes time to swap them. Im all for the stock ones for now.

As for me playing guitar, I can play a little (I am really good at figuring out songs by ear, I even noticed the standard tuning is similar to the into to Bohemian Rhapsody playing it on the ride home) but I just didnt see myself really committing to it as it was a "serious" instrument/investment. With a Uke, I can invest a little and learn as I feel like, as I feel it is a happy/carefree type thing which is what drew me to it in the first place.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Luna-Guitars/Mahogany-Tribal-Tenor-Ukulele.gc

Last edited:
Hard to get this pic. Fretted at 12.

20170213_001754_zpsdfqn55di.jpg

20170213_001534_zpszoitbyop.jpg

20170212_210145_zpsu9rsbpen.jpg

Nut seems a bit high from what Ive read (supposed to be able to hold a piece of paper, I could probably hold a nickel...)

The Epiphone Les Paul uke is likely going to be a disappointment for you. I have one. It's nice to look at, but the stock pickup is the cheapest thing on the planet, and even after doing a full fret leveling, replacing the nut and saddle with bone, and installing a $120 MiSi pickup, which is considered ONE OF THE BEST, it still sounded 'meh'

The problem is that the wood on the top and back is like 4mm thick and really does not vibrate much, and long-term, these things tend to have the bridge fly off.

Tons of threads on here about the Epi LP and if you ask me, you dodged a bullet, as even an Epiphone Les Paul Express or Les Paul SPECIAL (~$119-139) is going to be a MUCH better playing and sounding instrument than this decoration that is shaped like an ukulele. If you like Les Paul WALL ART, then feel free to hand over the $129, but the 'gig bag' has no padding and is about as protective as a vinyl shower curtain would be, so common wisdom would tell you to have NO regrets on NOT getting the EPI Les Paul uke.

OTOH, Luna is known for making cookie-cutter factory ukes, that tend to be either overly-built or poorly built compared to similarly priced Ohana, Kala, Lanikai ukes.

However, with a full setup they can be made to pay well, and sound is subjective, but all the teenage girls on YT, and Grace Vanderwaal on Americas Got Talent LOVE their Luna ukes, so methinks they are appealing to some 'girlie' demographic via advertising, which makes sense because if you see any of the interviews with the founder/CEO of Luna Guitars, Yvonne Deviliers, she says that the company was created to make instruments that are 'easier for girls to play'....

But one cool thing about LUNA ukes, is that the headstock shape seems to copy the profile of the Les Paul and SG guitars, so at least they are paying homage to a legendary style of guitar...

Hate me or love me, my opinions are my own, and everyone is welcome to theirs as well, but I'm just summarizing what you will find if you read all 842 threads here on UU about Luna Ukes.

But dont feel bad, and like you said, play the ever living snot out of it and dont worry if it's a fancy uke or a budget uke, as nobody here on UU expects anyone to replicate James Hill, Jake, Kalei or John King. It's all just about making music, with the ukulele, and enjoying the process.

I drive a 20 yr old Toyota that is in very good shape, and I plan to drive this thing until the wheels literally FALL OFF and I dont care to own and pay the ridiculous costs for a fancy German car, even if everyone I know has one. I am happy to not have a $600/month lease payment or pay $200 for an oil change. The ukulele can be the same way if you want it to be.

My car is basic. Basic transportation. A uke can be basic, and STILL MAKE music and does NOT have to be fancy or expensive in order to do so. All kinds of ukes are used and owned here on UU and all are welcome.

There is no entry fee, or high bar that your uke must be blinged out with platinum plated 3-D seashell adornments, whatever you have, it's all good here.
:) :rock: :music: :nana:

Last edited:
The Epiphone Les Paul uke is likely going to be a disappointment for you. I have one. It's nice to look at, but the stock pickup is the cheapest thing on the planet, and even after doing a full fret leveling, replacing the nut and saddle with bone, and installing a $120 MiSi pickup, which is considered ONE OF THE BEST, it still sounded 'meh'

The problem is that the wood on the top and back is like 4mm thick and really does not vibrate much, and long-term, these things tend to have the bridge fly off.

Tons of threads on here about the Epi LP and if you ask me, you dodged a bullet, as even an Epiphone Les Paul Express or Les Paul SPECIAL (~$119-139) is going to be a MUCH better playing and sounding instrument than this decoration that is shaped like an ukulele. If you like Les Paul WALL ART, then feel free to hand over the $129, but the 'gig bag' has no padding and is about as protective as a vinyl shower curtain would be, so common wisdom would tell you to have NO regrets on NOT getting the EPI Les Paul uke.

OTOH, Luna is known for making cookie-cutter factory ukes, that tend to be either overly-built or poorly built compared to similarly priced Ohana, Kala, Lanikai ukes.

However, with a full setup they can be made to pay well, and sound is subjective, but all the teenage girls on YT, and Grace Vanderwaal on Americas Got Talent LOVE their Luna ukes, so methinks they are appealing to some 'girlie' demographic via advertising, which makes sense because if you see any of the interviews with the founder/CEO of Luna Guitars, Yvonne Deviliers, she says that the company was created to make instruments that are 'easier for girls to play'....

But one cool thing about LUNA ukes, is that the headstock shape seems to copy the profile of the Les Paul and SG guitars, so at least they are paying homage to a legendary style of guitar...

Hate me or love me, my opinions are my own, and everyone is welcome to theirs as well, but I'm just summarizing what you will find if you read all 842 threads here on UU about Luna Ukes.

But dont feel bad, and like you said, play the ever living snot out of it and dont worry if it's a fancy uke or a budget uke, as nobody here on UU expects anyone to replicate James Hill, Jake, Kalei or John King. It's all just about making music, with the ukulele, and enjoying the process.

I drive a 20 yr old Toyota that is in very good shape, and I plan to drive this thing until the wheels literally FALL OFF and I dont care to own and pay the ridiculous costs for a fancy German car, even if everyone I know has one. I am happy to not have a $600/month lease payment or pay $200 for an oil change. The ukulele can be the same way if you want it to be.

My car is basic. Basic transportation. A uke can be basic, and STILL MAKE music and does NOT have to be fancy or expensive in order to do so. All kinds of ukes are used and owned here on UU and all are welcome.

There is no entry fee, or high bar that your uke must be blinged out with platinum plated 3-D seashell adornments, whatever you have, it's all good here.
:) :rock: :music: :nana:

Yeah Im glad I didnt see that LP uke in store, itd likely be here now.

And great, I got the girlie uke...FML :p

IS there a good uke for under $200? Im not looking for fancy (sure as hell doesnt hurt tho), but Id like solid and functional.

See, my car (the first Ive had in 20 years, as I rode motorcycles everywhere) is a 21 year old, 250k mile jeep that just works and I got it for free (I can afford $free.99 a month!) and will do the same. Id just prefer to start with something that I know is solid and then beat it to s**.

Yeah Im glad I didnt see that LP uke in store, itd likely be here now.

And great, I got the girlie uke...FML :p

IS there a good uke for under $200? Im not looking for fancy (sure as hell doesnt hurt tho), but Id like solid and functional.

See, my car (the first Ive had in 20 years, as I rode motorcycles everywhere) is a 21 year old, 250k mile jeep that just works and I got it for free (I can afford $free.99 a month!) and will do the same. Id just prefer to start with something that I know is solid and then beat it to s**.

First uke I bought 3.5 yrs ago, as per a dozen or so recommendations here on UU was a Kala.

I tried all the sizes and ended up with a tenor, the KA-T, bought locally for $119 and also got a canvas-covered foam case 'Uke Crazy' brand for $45.

I've played guitar for 35+ yrs so the mechanics were easy. I played the hell out of that thing, like 2 hrs per night, every night for 6 months, and it never let me down. Then I bought a concert Flea from Magic Fluke Company, and by playing that I learned how bad the intonation was on the Kala, so I then set about learning how to fix the intonation, and it played even better after that.

I have more than a dozen ukes now, and I STILL play my KA-T, and it sounds better now than when it was new. About a yr after buying it, I bought a Mi-Si pickup online, watched about a dozen videos on how to install it, and then installed it myself.

My Kala KA-T was ROCK SOLID and still gets play time, even though I have ukes costing 2-3 times as much.

So you may want to check them out and see. Keeping in mind that a $200 that has a pickup pre-installed, likely has a very cheap pickup if the price difference between the acoustic-only version and the acoustic/electric version is less than $100, you are scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of electronics. If you can use a drill, a file and sandpaper, you can install your own pickups, the ONLY requirement is to be patient, go slow and work with finesse like you are giving a massage to an infant to make them sleep, and not tenderizing a side of beef with a sledgehammer.

Kala, Ohana, Lanikai, Cordoba, Gretsch all get high marks here on UU and have very nice playing and nice sounding ukes for under $200

I'd stay away from Alvarez, Mahalo, Diamond Head, Rogue, Ibanez, Fender and Oscar Schmidt, as these tend to be over-built, sloppily-built and sound very quiet with little projection. These are also some guitar companies that are doing an 'also-ran' with ukes and disregard the fact that a uke is NOT just a 'little guitar' but in fact a completely different instrument.

These named in the previous paragraph are also likely to require a full setup and most 'guitar shops' are just ignorant of how to set up an ukulele. You are better off to buy from a place that does the SETUP and BEFORE you buy the ukulele, and some vendors here on UU that folks like are Uke Republic, MIM's Ukes, Elderly Music and HMS...

You would learn a lot and help yourself to avoid many newbie mistakes by going on http://gotaukulele.com and reading the articles and watching the videos on his YouTube channel. Baz is an active member here and has lots of good info and tons of reviews on his web site.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for that. Yeah, Im thinking theres no real place to pick one up that also could set it up, so I may be going online for my second-first uke.

Good news is, I about have bohemian rhapsody figured out... lol

You did okay. For myself I'd return it for a refund and order from a dealer who sets up the uke before its sent out. Mims, Uke Republic, HMS all do a setup before sending out. That action looks high on the one you have. No big deal to lower it. You can get a really nice instrument for under 200 dollars.

Main thing is to play forget the rest.

You did okay. For myself I'd return it for a refund and order from a dealer who sets up the uke before its sent out. Mims, Uke Republic, HMS all do a setup before sending out. That action looks high on the one you have. No big deal to lower it. You can get a really nice instrument for under 200 dollars.

Main thing is to play forget the rest.

Right now I have my eye on one at MIM and Im just trying to figure out how to get it. Sent them an email, and I cant wait to hear back.

Right now I have my eye on one at MIM and Im just trying to figure out how to get it. Sent them an email, and I cant wait to hear back.

Mim is a SHE, as in a single person and runs the business herself, and that is her name.

As per her business web site her contact info is here:

Phone: (540) 505-5444

6191 Buffalo Mountain Road
Meadows of Dan, VA 24120
mim@mimsukes.com

She has MANY more ukes listed on her ebay pages here:

http://stores.ebay.com/mimsukes/

and is ALSO reachable via PM here on UU because she is an active member of this community as well:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=19278

and THIS is her UU profile page:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/member.php?19278-Mim

If I was you, I would CALL HER on the telephone if you want to get in touch quickly. The phone number is above here in this post.

Good Luck!

Mim is a SHE, as in a single person and runs the business herself, and that is her name.

As per her business web site her contact info is here:

Phone: (540) 505-5444

6191 Buffalo Mountain Road
Meadows of Dan, VA 24120
mim@mimsukes.com

She has MANY more ukes listed on her ebay pages here:

http://stores.ebay.com/mimsukes/

and is ALSO reachable via PM here on UU because she is an active member of this community as well:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=19278

and THIS is her UU profile page:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/member.php?19278-Mim

If I was you, I would CALL HER on the telephone if you want to get in touch quickly. The phone number is above here in this post.

Good Luck!

Thanks! Yeah I saw her videos with the pretty blue hair. I sent an email already since itd be rude to call right now! I really love supporting the small businesses when I can.

As usual, Booli's post is right on target, and I love Bill1's post. Seeing a ukulele jam (playing and singing) along with people teaching themselves ukulele via YouTube made me realize this is the instrument that causes people to do the things we taught them to do as music educators--more than any other instrument I have ever seen. It is more social than guitar. And I believe that I recently read that 90% of guitarists quit in a short period of time. The ukulele, while not easy, does remove barriers.

And isn't it interesting that we're in an age where a tattooed instrument is considered feminine?

What I really wanted to say is that the instrument looks to be set up with high action--but I can't tell for sure without a string action gauge, as photos can be deceiving.

I have played a number of Lunas and Deans. It is an okay instrument. There are better, there are cheaper, and there are those that have more features. You can pick any two of those three options with another instrument.

This all goes back to this: if you like it, have fun! If you have doubts, bring it back.

Thanks again. This one is going back and I'll either snag the Kayla or wait. I'm worried I won't be able to play well, as I was just tinkering with the Luna and my fingers tend to mute the "A" string. Im getting frustrated with myself at this point.

Well there will be much frustration, until one day your efforts will pay off and you get that magical C-F-G7 phrase to ring true and clear! One truism in self-teaching Uke is that you'll have an idiot for a teacher. :cool:

Kala is pretty good but I found Ohana to be as good or better at about the same price. Mim is the biggest Ohana dealer in the country and she is pretty good at what she does. I ordered a New Tenor from her and she got it to me in like four days, all the way across the country (VA-CA) and set up like a champ.

Do call her and tell her what you want/need. She's a real treat to talk to.

Top Bottom