Low G on Collings Tenor

RLM3121

Reaction score
I have a used Collings koa tenor on the way and I have a low g question. The strings on a Collings attach in a slot on the saddle. Is there enough room to get the bigger log g string in this slot? Also how do you think a low g sounds on this Ukulele? Any string recommendations? Thanks for the help. -Ray

The Low G will probably sound fantastic. The bridge slot might be a little tight, if so, it will need to be opened up to accommodate the new string. If it is tight, do not force the string into place. It might go into position okay but could cause damage when you try to remove it again.

When I had my Collings UT2K, I had it strung up low g with a Thomastik-Infeld CF30 (flat wound) with no issues- sounded great!

When I had my UT2 it sounded fantastic linear or reemtramt. When reemtramt, I used an Aquila Red Low G. Sounded great.

Both of my current Collings (spruce/maple concert and tenor) I have strung re-entrant. Have not tried either linear.

I have a Mahogany Collings UT2 tuned low g, it sounds great. I have used Aquila's with a wound guitar string , Living waters flouros and Southcoasts with a polished wound c and g strings. I have had no issues with the size of the slots on the fatter strings. I did however have a problem with the 1st string being to thin. You have to tie a good fat knot so it doesn't pull through under tension.

Top Bottom