NUD: Risa Les Paul solid body electric ukulele

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
I am a frustrated rock goddess, so I made a splurge purchase yesterday to indulge the wannabe in me. I saw a Risa Les Paul solid body ukulele in black and couldn't resist it. My spouse, who usually discourages my uke purchases was even enamored enough to mutter, "You are going to have to teach me how to play that thing."

I am out of town right now and have no amp to plug it in, but look forward to playing it amped when I get back home. As others have noted, it comes with a flimsy gig bag, so I am nervous getting it home, but will put it on top of my other uke's fiberglass case in the overhead compartment.

My all-time favorite musician is B.B. King. I know his Lucille was a different model style of black Gibson, but since he inspires me, it is modeled after a black Gibson electric guitar, and it is an ukulele purchased in Hawaii (albeit a German one), I gave her the Hawaiian translation of Lucillle for her name - Lukila.

A quick photo of it:IMG_0694.jpg

Since I cannot record one now this is a sound sample of the same kind of uke: https://youtu.be/rrTto-UimHg

Very cool. I hope that you enjoy it. The steel strings can take a little getting used to but you have the finest LP ukulele in the biz.

Very cool. I hope that you enjoy it. The steel strings can take a little getting used to but you have the finest LP ukulele in the biz.

Thanks very much. I was surprised that they were not more uncomfortable, it apparently has light gauge strings so they didn't feel too bad. I was worried I would need to use a pick but was able to still play it fingerstyle. Haven't tried for more than ten or so minutes so far though...

And kudos for giving into an impluse buy! (at least every once in a while)

These are so rad. My UAS on this one is only held in check by the fact that it comes in Tenor and Soprano sizes and I can't decide which one I'd prefer.

Mine's bigger, but WAY too heavy (~ 11 lbs).

Last edited:
Enjoy that cool uke!

Petey

Awesome uke! Rock on! :music:

Enjoy. :)

I've always fancied one, but it is right at the top of my price range, & having bought a tenor Uke Ellie, I was surprised how heavy that little uke was, so, have been wondering how heavy one of these tenor electrics actually is.

Thanks very much. I was surprised that they were not more uncomfortable, it apparently has light gauge strings so they didn't feel too bad. I was worried I would need to use a pick but was able to still play it fingerstyle. Haven't tried for more than ten or so minutes so far though...

Once you are playing on the steel strings for a while, you may notice the calluses on your fretting hand to get a little tougher and thicker on your fingertips, but if you push past the initial stages, it will pay off and protect your fingers from feeling cut-into by the thinner metal strings, which can feel like razor-wire if you have no calluses at all...

Congrats on the new Risa LP!!!

I have the poor-man's version of this in the Vorson brand, which I only paid $99 for as an 'open-box' item ($129 new) and it's just 'ok', but the truss rod on mine seems not to work very well.

Congrats, that uke is on my secret want list (which isn't a secret anymore). Looking forward to hearing your impressions after you've become better acquainted with it.

Once you are playing on the steel strings for a while, you may notice the calluses on your fretting hand to get a little tougher and thicker on your fingertips, but if you push past the initial stages, it will pay off and protect your fingers from feeling cut-into by the thinner metal strings, which can feel like razor-wire if you have no calluses at all...

Congrats on the new Risa LP!!!

I have the poor-man's version of this in the Vorson brand, which I only paid $99 for as an 'open-box' item ($129 new) and it's just 'ok', but the truss rod on mine seems not to work very well.

I had both the Risa LP and a Vorson. I sold my Risa when I was feeling stupid. My Vorson now resides in a landfill.

Congrats, I love those uke LPs, I would pick one up if I did not own too much stuff already,
My solid body Uke
KoolauCE-2full1.jpg

the full size LP
c58ef3fe-ba48-4828-9f7c-fc292392c2e9_zpsfaqif0wm.jpg

and finally the closest thing to BB King style guitar
ES-275c%20sm_zpstqlphw5e.jpg

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I did discover, though, that the G string is has terrible intonation - almost halfway to the next note on anything other than open. They had a display model so I will go back tomorrow to try that one, otherwise I may have to return it as it is unplayable. :( I am bummed as I never heard of this problem with the RISA.

Last edited:
Is it not adjustable with a proper setup?

I hope so, they are going to take a look at it tomorrow to adjust it and set it up. To be honest, I tend to be a nervous Nellie so unless it becomes perfect I will probably return it since there is only a seven day return policy. Fingers crossed they fix it.

Last edited:
Congratulations, I have the sunburst tenor. Play it every day. My favorite ukulele. Having it set up will fix your problem.

@besley, and I thought my new Taylor 214 CE Deluxe was pretty sweet, that LP is awesome! And one of my two favorite LP colors! I will have one some day!!

Top Bottom