PDA

View Full Version : Luthiers for a Cause Project Announcement

Ukulele Eddie
02-15-2017, 01:45 PM
I've hinted at a pending project announcement that will likely interest a lot of folks here given the frequency of threads related to the impact of tonewoods and the luthier on the final sound of an instrument. Below is an excerpt from the press release:

Six of the world’s most distinguished instrument builders have come together to showcase their unique building approaches and to make a lasting difference in the lives of sick children. Each luthier will build a tenor ukulele out of wood sourced from two trees that are legendary among acoustic guitar and ukulele enthusiasts. All of the proceeds from the sale of the instruments will go to benefit The Ukulele Kids Club, a 501(c)3 non-profit whose mission is to harness the healing power of music by sending hospitalized children home with the gift of music for life.

See the full press release and find out which luthiers are involved on the Luthier’s for a Cause website at https://www.luthiersforacause.org/news/

Fellow UU'er PatchenU and Jay Lichty's wife Corrie are helping organize the project. Our goal is to raise at least $25k for The Ukulele Kids Club. We hope you'll find this project interesting and will help spread the word.

Web site: www.luthiersforacause.org (http://www.luthiersforacause.org)

Like Us on FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/luthiersforacause/

soupking
02-15-2017, 02:09 PM
Good on everyone involved. Niiiice :cool:

dkcrown
02-15-2017, 02:16 PM
A very noble project Eddie, kudos to you for organizing it. And not too shabby a list of luthiers to mold these amazing woods into works of art!

good_uke_boy
02-15-2017, 02:41 PM
How will the instruments be sold? (And great idea...)

sam13
02-15-2017, 02:42 PM
Well, done. Great cause.

Mezcalero
02-15-2017, 03:05 PM
Nice one Eddie! I had heard a few of the details, primarily about the woods being used, but I did not realize the scope was this big. Will the instruments have a set price or be auctioned?

buganeal
02-15-2017, 03:07 PM
:drool: Those tone woods...... and the roster of luthiers :drool::drool: ... best of all, it is for a good cause! Does this count for UAS? ;)

mkatz
02-15-2017, 03:27 PM
Great cause Eddie!

Mitch

Ukulele Eddie
02-15-2017, 04:03 PM
Thanks, everybody. It's exciting to us and seems to be getting a lot of interest, such that it has really taken on a life of its own. We first wanted to get the luthiers on board, wood sorted and delivered and initial announcement done. With those big steps behind us, we'll be focusing more on showcasing and "selling" the instruments.

We plan to have the instruments share a common inlay to bind them as a set. Those details are still being sorted but we hope to announce more soon.

Regarding selling them, there are many possibilities to explore. Perhaps we first try to auction the set to collectors. Another is we auction individually. A third is we set the same price for them and then run a lottery if there's more than one buy for any particular instrument(s). We could possibly raffle one or more of them. Lots and lots to consider. We certainly welcome ideas and may poll folks here for input.

For showcasing, we are hoping to get one or more top musicians to play each, to a sound sample video. Perhaps we could even have several and then make an album.

Nickie
02-15-2017, 05:35 PM
This is so cool. This warms my heart and gives me hope that human beings might just be okay after all.

bonesoup
02-15-2017, 08:24 PM
For showcasing, we are hoping to get one or more top musicians to play each, to a sound sample video. Perhaps we could even have several and then make an album.

Oh yeah, an album is a great idea! It would bring in more donations and I'd buy one for sure. It will be exciting to hear the ukes and how each luthier turned the tree into music. That's an all star lineup of luthiers too.

natchez
02-16-2017, 02:58 AM
What a great idea for a wonderful cause. Warms my heart to see folks doing good works!

hollisdwyer
02-16-2017, 04:16 AM
A wonderful project. All those involved should be given our greatest respect and support.

Can't wait to see the outcome. Would love to be the custodian of any one of the proposed instruments for a while.

Hms
02-16-2017, 05:42 AM
I'd also consider raffling one off. That allows people who cannot afford the high prices these ukes will command at auction, the opportunity to be involved, and possibly win one for a modest fee.
h

Pirate Jim
02-16-2017, 05:53 AM
+1 for an album - I can't afford a custom uke (or a set of custom ukes!) but I'd definitely buy an album.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
02-16-2017, 06:10 AM
I am very proud to be a part of this project

Patchenu
02-16-2017, 07:40 AM
Eddie,
Thank you for starting this thread. We are excited to final announce what we have been pull together.

I would add that it is my honor to support and help drive this project forward. The luthiers involved are doing something very special and I can't wait (like everyone else in this community) to see and hear what they build using these famous and rare tonewoods. What is great about this project is that the UU community has had a lot of discussions about what matters the most in a getting a great ukulele. We usually see debates around the merits of tonewood X and that being better than tonewood Y but I have read time and time again that the most important element in getting a great ukulele is the luthier. One of the benefits of this project is that we, as fans of the instrument, will be able to understand and hear the differences in what each luthiers sound/voice is. This is something I have been seeking to understand since I started my love of ukulele almost 1 year ago.

I want to thank the luthiers (Steve Grimes, Beau Hannam, John Kinnard, Jay Lichty, Jake Maclay and Joji Yoshida) for being part of a unique project and allowing me to support this effort. It's been difficult trying to help drive this forward, keep my other commitments (e.g. family, work, playing ukulele, etc) but knowing that I am not just answering a question I have been asking/researching for over a year, but also working to help a wonderful organization makes it well worth the money, time and effort. Please let either eddie or myself know if you have any questions/ideas on how to make this the most successful this can be as we want to raise as much money as possible for UKC.

alanjang
02-16-2017, 10:17 AM
This is a very cool project benefiting a great cause. Thanks to everyone involved.

Mattyukaholic
02-16-2017, 10:38 AM
This is awesome! Great idea Eddie.

hawaii 50
02-16-2017, 12:18 PM
I'd also consider raffling one off. That allows people who cannot afford the high prices these ukes will command at auction, the opportunity to be involved, and possibly win one for a modest fee.
h

Congrats Eddie....should be an interesting year..when will the ukes be done? do you have a deadline? will all ukes be up for auction together?
I am for one of the ukes to be raffled as in am sure these ukes will be beyond what i want/can pay....:) with the woods you have should be something super nice....

good luck with the builds

Ukulele Eddie
02-16-2017, 02:33 PM
Thanks, everyone, for all the supportive comments. It has been a labor of love for me, Patchen and Corrie to organize. We are really humbled to have such great luthiers donating their time -- their most valuable asset -- to this effort.

We still have a lot to figure out and we will probably ping this group for some input along the way. Personally, I like the idea of having a raffle for one of the ukes but we need to make sure that the economics work for the benefit of The Ukulele Kids Club. For example, if we could sell 100 tickets at $50/each, that might work. How many could we sell if we priced them at $25/each? How many if we priced at $100/each? You get the idea.

The other thing we want to keep in mind is this not a competition. They will be "just" different voicings and aesthetics. To that end, it might be great if the instruments were all sold for the same amount so there is less tendency for comparison.

Lots to noodle! Fortunately, we have some time to figure that part out as we have lots of things we still need to do first.

Regarding when the ukes will be done, we are still working those details but it will be later this year. Possibly early October time frame. We then want to use showcase the ukes suitably before they are sold.

Again, thanks for all the support!

kohanmike
02-16-2017, 09:14 PM
Eddie, this is great to see more support for The Ukulele Kids Club. The CC Strummers are regular contributors to The UKC in conjunction with UCLA/Mattel Children's Wing at UCLA Medical Center. I'm sure some in the group would be interested in the auction and raffle, I'll announce it at a rehearsal when you have everything in place.

A number of us have performed for the kids, the third time just last Wednesday, and have presented 6 ukes to kids so far, with 15 more coming this week through our most recent donation.

(Any thoughts on another meetup of L.A. UU members? This seems like a good reason.)

DownUpDave
02-17-2017, 01:17 AM
This is very admirable and a big thank you to all involved. It makes me very proud to be part of the ukulele community. You are doing a great thing here in helping children

Jayfuzi
02-17-2017, 06:05 AM
What an awesome way to support a special program. I look forward to seeing how these ukes come out!

Ukulele Eddie
04-26-2017, 07:23 AM
Hey, Folks -

We're excited to announce that Harvey Leach did the project logo as an inlay on all six of the fretboards:

https://www.luthiersforacause.org/news/2017/4/20/inlay-guru-harvey-leach-contributes-inlay

Best, Eddie

DownUpDave
04-26-2017, 11:21 AM
The logo on the fretboard looks great Eddie. Some serious talent has come together for this worthwhile project.

Ukulele Eddie
06-01-2017, 06:47 PM
We have some exciting news to share!! The Ukulele Site is onboard to help showcase and sell the Luthiers for a Cause charity ukes. See the full announcement here:

https://www.luthiersforacause.org/news/2017/6/1/hawaii-music-supply-to-showcase-luthiers-for-a-cause-ukes

hawaii 50
06-01-2017, 08:41 PM
We have some exciting news to share!! The Ukulele Site is onboard to help showcase and sell the Luthiers for a Cause charity ukes. See the full announcement here:

https://www.luthiersforacause.org/news/2017/6/1/hawaii-music-supply-to-showcase-luthiers-for-a-cause-ukes

Thanks Andrew..will be looking forward to seeing these ukes and watching the recordings....
Eddie do you have an idea when the ukes will be delivered?

Ukulele Eddie
06-02-2017, 02:18 AM
Thanks Andrew..will be looking forward to seeing these ukes and watching the recordings....
Eddie do you have an idea when the ukes will be delivered?

Early November (as noted in the release).

bariukish
06-02-2017, 05:21 AM
Great project for a great cause. Just had a wild and crazy idea. Wouldn't it be great if, before these instruments get into the hands of private collectors, a nationwide concert tour could be organized for 2018. If these ukes could be featured along with some of the most talented, nationally recognized performers, I know every performance would be a sell-out. I know, I know, the logistics would be staggering. But the net proceeds for this project might well be staggering as well. Anyway, kudos for all that already have and will contributed.

mmfitzsimons
06-02-2017, 07:25 AM
This is an amazing project; I just surfed over to Facebook and got a gander at some of that wood... whoa.

This project is genius. I doubt anything will ever put to rest debates around the mysterious alchemy of wood and builder, but what a joy to see such accomplished people at work, raising money for such a wonderful cause. Great people doing great things!

lfoo6952
06-02-2017, 02:23 PM

Eddie: have you determined how the ukuleles will be sold? Initially you mentioned they might be auctioned off, then you also mentioned having a raffle for the right to buy. Which will it be?

Ukulele Eddie
06-02-2017, 04:57 PM
Eddie: have you determined how the ukuleles will be sold? Initially you mentioned they might be auctioned off, then you also mentioned having a raffle for the right to buy. Which will it be?

We are still working through how to sell them. Our primary goal is raise as much money as possible for UKC. We also like the idea of making them accessible. Those things are seemingly at odds to each other. But perhaps if we sold raffle tix at $50/each for one of the ukes, and sold, say, up to 200 of them, that would yield more than selling the uke outright and make it more accessible. If we did a raffle, maybe the winner gets pick of the litter and then the rest area sold by other means.

- Sell at fixed price, set by each luthier
- Sell at same price
- Auction the entire collection as a set (likely few bidders, but as a set they could bring more than they would sold individually)
- Auction individually
- Raffle
- Some combination of the above

We welcome ideas/suggestions!

Tof
06-02-2017, 08:28 PM
Since you're asking for suggestions, here are mine (for what they're worth :D):

- the best solution is in my opinion an individual auction for all instruments. If you want to avoid to create a "price competition" between luthiers it's always possible to keep all bids above the entry price known by bidders only.
- The total raised amount could be displayed on a big counter instead of individual prices for each uke. In addition, it should be easy to make a donation to add to the total amount without buying anything. Facebook is a fantastic way to share and get people involved even if they're not uke players.
- I personally don't like the idea of selling the collection as a set, because it means the instruments won't be played. If someone wants to buy them all it's still possible to do it through the individual auctions anyway. In addition it's likely that with more bidders the total price would get higher even if the same person get them all.

We'll see some of the finest ukes ever built using exclusive tonewoods and hardware, I think it's going to bring a lot of attention... and hopefully a lot of money for the UKC!
Fantastic project, my gut feeling is that you'll make even more happy kids than you expect!

I've started to save for November :p

DownUpDave
06-03-2017, 01:28 AM
Eddie this is an interesting dilemma because as you say the goal it to raise as much money as possible for Ukulele Kids Club. With HMS being involved I would think having each ukulele auctuoned off individually would work very well. Possibly set the starting bid price the same for each builders instrument and let interest of each one drive the final price.

As a side note Jay Lichty has a fabulous pictorial slide show on the build in progress of his instrument. Go to his website and click on "whats on the bench". If everyone of the builders did something like this it would help create even more excitement.

stevejfc
06-03-2017, 03:02 AM
Eddie, I like the raffle idea. Tixs at $50 would give just about everyone a shot

Ukulele Eddie
06-03-2017, 03:14 AM
@ToF: I share your concerns about selling to a single collector. This was more attractive before HMS came on board as were concerned with how to sell them ;-) We have a page on Facebook to help generate awareness (https://www.facebook.com/luthiersforacause/).

@DownUpDave: We've encouraged the luthiers to share partial images but to avoid, if possibly, full-on shots of their ukes (though some will be exhibited individually over the summer at shows) so in November we'll have the big unveiling of all the ukes together.

@stevejfc: Thanks, we'll work with everyone involved over the next few weeks to lock down the details on they'll be sold.

Keep the input coming, gang. We really appreciate it!

P.S. The effort to source tees, hats/beanies and microfiber cloths with the project logo has begun. We'll post details on how to pre-order in the next few weeks!

keod
06-03-2017, 07:00 AM
What a truly outstanding project for such a worthy cause!
I am staunch believer in, and living proof of, the power of the uke to heal.

Everyone benefits from this. The kids for sure are the most important benefactors but also the uke community as a whole. Having 6 of the best luthiers in the world showcase their artistry using the same materials and sharing that with us is simply a brilliant platform to educate and delight all of us. I am so excited to see the differences visually and tonally.

And the eventual owners of these fine instruments - by auction, raffle or otherwise - will truly have unique instruments that speak to the generosity and creativity of all involved.

Bravo to all! Your efforts are truly humbling.

Ukulele Eddie
06-04-2017, 06:48 PM
Here's a nice article on the project in an Orange County, CA paper (local to John Kinnard and Kevin Beddoe):

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/north-county/sd-no-ukulele-luthier-20170603-story.html

mmfitzsimons
06-04-2017, 07:00 PM
Here's a nice article on the project in an Orange County, CA paper (local to John Kinnard and Kevin Beddoe):

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/north-county/sd-no-ukulele-luthier-20170603-story.html

We have our very own county in San Diego. Those Orange County people are northerners to us. ;)

Congrats on the well-deserved attention!

keod
06-06-2017, 11:27 PM

Terrific article on both the project, the woods and the builder! Thanks for posting.

Ukulele Eddie
07-01-2017, 09:11 AM
Quick update here. Jay Lichty's wife, Corrie Woods, did a super job creating this video introduction to the project. The beautiful music is by Jay Lichty and is a song titled "Hope" that he wrote for the Ukulele Kids Club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0yfwN_OUN0

We are about 10 days away from opening an online store with LFAC merchandise, with 100% of all profit going direct to The Ukulele Kids Club. We'll have shirts (many colors and styles), hats and beanies all embroidered with the logo for a classy look. We'll also have printed microfiber cleaning cloths.

good_uke_boy
07-01-2017, 09:20 AM
We are about 10 days away from opening an online store with LFAC merchandise, with 100% of all profit going direct to The Ukulele Kids Club. We'll have shirts (many colors and styles), hats and beanies all embroidered with the logo for a classy look. We'll also have printed microfiber cleaning cloths.

Congrats! Looking forward to contributing!

DownUpDave
07-01-2017, 09:55 AM
Fanatastic stuff Eddie as always. Count me in on buying the merchadise you have come up with. I really love the logo and it is for a great cause.

turtledrum
07-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Eddie, with you all the way on this one! Thank you for enabling us to contribute. I plan on ordering for me and doing some early holiday shopping for others. Thank you, Eddie! :)

Booli
07-02-2017, 12:10 PM
I love the idea and motivation behind this project and the cause it serves.

You can also count me in for some of the logo merchandise, likely a t-shirt or two, a hat and maybe some stickers or similar...

Kudos to you Eddie for putting this together! :shaka:

hollisdwyer
07-03-2017, 12:31 AM
Quick update here. Jay Lichty's wife, Corrie Woods, did a super job creating this video introduction to the project. The beautiful music is by Jay Lichty and is a song titled "Hope" that he wrote for the Ukulele Kids Club.

Please post what the URL is for the store to support this initiative.

Mezcalero
07-03-2017, 04:11 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0yfwN_OUN0

Man, what a nice composition and killer sounding baritone ukulele!

Congrats Eddie! Nice to see this project coming fruition. Look forward to viewing the online store.

Ukulele Eddie
07-24-2017, 12:55 PM
All -

The LFAC merchandise store is up! Remember, all profit from sales (typically $10-15/item) goes directly to the Ukulele Kids Club!

http://www.dartermall.com/ukulelekidsclub/luthiers-for-a-cause.htm

Everything is made to order and will typically ship within a week of order. Be sure to check sizing guidelines for each article.

Thanks for you continued enthusiasm for the project!

Best, Eddie

saltytri
07-24-2017, 01:04 PM
Aloha, Eddie! My order is in. Can't wait to see the instruments at UGH in November.

Mahalo!

Ukulele Eddie
07-24-2017, 06:33 PM
I've had some questions about international orders as the store currently only ships to U.S. I'll check into that and report back. Worst case, I'll order and ship to you if we have to!

US folks, get those orders in! ;-)

kohanmike
07-24-2017, 07:33 PM
Just ordered two T-shirts, and last week we played for the kids at UCLA/Mattel Children's Wing and gave away four more ukes from The Ukulele Kids Club, plus I just donated for eight more ukes. Love this cross pollination.

Tof
07-24-2017, 11:10 PM
I'll wait for your update on international orders Eddie :-)

Ukulele Eddie
07-25-2017, 11:16 AM
Good news for our Canadian friends, Canadian orders please e-mail Jan@darterpress.com or call 203-699-9805 as they will need to quote you price with shipping.

For other international orders, I need to think about how we might accommodate you as Darter Specialties is not set up to deal with international custom forms, etc. I will report back what we can do, if anything, once I've figured that out.

Ukulele Eddie
07-27-2017, 08:34 AM
I previously shared we are evaluating a raffle for one (or more) of the Luthiers for a Cause instruments. We want to keep it relatively simple and we of course want to raise as much money as possible for The Ukulele Kids Club.

I'd like to pose a few questions and would really appreciate people's input.

1) Would you rather:

(a) spend $50 for a raffle ticket with an unlimited number of tickets sold and have the uke randomly selected from the six project ukes (e.g., we roll a dice to determine which of the six the winner gets); or,

(b) spend $100 for a raffle ticket with a cap of 200 tickets being sold and you get "pick of the litter"?

2) Would you rather we:

(a) Have six simultaneous raffles, one per instrument. This way people can enter a raffle for any of the instruments that interest them. We would set a minimum number of tickets at $50 must be sold (say, 150) otherwise the money is refunded and we sell the instrument by auction; or,

(b) Raffle one instrument and auction the others, which allows those who really want a particular instrument the best odds of getting the exact one they want.

Thanks for your input!!

hawaii 50
07-27-2017, 09:02 AM
Hi Eddie I like 1b as I think this is a good amount to donate if I do not win the raffle....:) and I would like to pick which uke I can win as 20k is a lot...:)
I got to ask are you going to have a way to have the winner not sell the uke for his/her profit? or once the winner gets it they can do whatever they want?

Tof
07-27-2017, 11:09 AM
Hi Eddie,

I would go for 100$ per ticket with no cap (with a minimum of 50 tickets sold for example), and select randomly the uke, so a mix of 1a. and 1b. :-)
If I have to chose, 1b.

Otherwise, strong preference for 2b (too many raffles kill the concept imho).

Ukulele Eddie
07-27-2017, 01:27 PM
Thanks, all. Keep the input coming, please.

Len (@Hawaii50), we have no way to restrict re-sale by the winner. A winner can do as they please.

hawaii 50
07-27-2017, 01:59 PM
Thanks, all. Keep the input coming, please.

Len (@Hawaii50), we have no way to restrict re-sale by the winner. A winner can do as they please.

thanks Eddie sounds good..let me know when raffle tickets for sale...

lfoo6952
07-27-2017, 02:22 PM
First choice is 2b.
Second choice is 1b.

DownUpDave
07-27-2017, 02:24 PM
I have given this much thought. I like the idea of 2b, raffle one off and then auction off the others. It gives everybody without deep pockets a chance at getting a dream uke while contributing to a worthy cause. With the luthiers and primo wood involved you will certainly sell the remaining at prices that will greatly help the kids.

Alytw
07-27-2017, 05:28 PM
I also like the idea of raffling off one and auctioning off the others. A $50 ticket would be quite accessible for a lot of people and it would be neat to watch the auction for the others.

dkcrown
07-28-2017, 01:00 AM
I would say either 1b or 2b as well Eddie.

Doc_J
07-28-2017, 01:52 AM
I also like the idea of raffling off one and auctioning off the others. A $50 ticket would be quite accessible for a lot of people and it would be neat to watch the auction for the others.

I agree. Since the idea is to make as much money as possible for the charity, auctions seem to generate higher numbers. But it would be nice to have one raffle with ticket prices that allow more people to participate. As with all raffles I assume you would allow people to buy multiple tickets if they wish to increase their odds.

1(a), 2 (b).

good_uke_boy
08-02-2017, 01:14 PM
Congrats! Looking forward to contributing!

Received my polo shirt today. Nice! Look forward to wearing it around, including at uke gatherings. Thanks LFAC.

Patchenu
08-02-2017, 02:07 PM
good_uke_boy,
Thank you so much for supporting the cause! We really appreciate it.

Ukulele Eddie
08-03-2017, 01:16 PM
Received my polo shirt today. Nice! Look forward to wearing it around, including at uke gatherings. Thanks LFAC.

Sweet! How about everyone post a pic when you get 'em! My order had a delay but should be here next week.

Ukulele Eddie
09-15-2017, 06:32 AM
Special Harvey-relief fundraising in conjunction with Ukulele Kids Club and Hawaii Music Supply:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?129229-A-Chance-to-Help-Sheltered-Families-in-Houston-Area-(Contribution-Match!)&p=1996984#post1996984

Ukulele Eddie
11-22-2017, 10:05 AM
The Ukulele Review did a wonderful video podcast (link below) about the project. Thanks to Andrew, Zach, Corey and Kalei for their time and effort here. Further details about the upcoming auctions will be available soon.

https://youtu.be/jWqkbp1KfEo

Ukulele Eddie
11-30-2017, 07:38 AM
We announced some pretty spectacular news this morning. We were approached by a generous supporter of music therapy who believes if these six fantastic ukes remain together, we can create even more awareness about and funds to support the power of music therapy. How so? By possibly having the ukes exhibited at various museums, used in a charity concert and potentially even having a CD recorded. With all project participants agreeing this was a fantastic outcome, we have sold the collection as a set for $100,000.

We know some members here were very keen to bid on one of these auctions. We hope you agree that this is absolutely the best possible outcome for The Ukulele Kids Club. Remember, you can still buy LFAC merchandise (all profit goest to UKC) and/or contribute to UKC directly via our web site.

The news is posted here: https://www.luthiersforacause.org/news/

And here: https://www.facebook.com/luthiersforacause/

strat4me
11-30-2017, 07:56 AM
WOW! This is such wonderful news!

Peace Train
11-30-2017, 08:13 AM
This is such a fantastic and fitting outcome for the kids, luthiers, and ukulele community as a whole. A great big congratulations to everyone involved!

Tof
11-30-2017, 12:02 PM
Congratulations!! Fantastic outcome for this great project :-)

MopMan
11-30-2017, 12:48 PM
I'm sure the Ukulele kids Club and all the children they help are very grateful. Congratulations to all involved and huzzah for a fantastic result!

Alhough.. it would have been a better result if I had ended up with one of those beautiful ukes... :uhoh:

Tanman
11-30-2017, 02:32 PM
Wow awesome result, and congrats to the kids, luthiers and organizers! And also congrats to the person who bought the set!

dkcrown
12-01-2017, 01:24 AM
Congratulations Eddie, and everyone involved in this wonderful endeavor! What an amazing outcome to this project!

While there was no way that I was going to be able to bid on any of these amazing ukuleles, I was still looking forward to watching the auctions unfold and seeing what each would sell for. But this is definitely the best for the kids. And none of the luthiers would have to feel slighted, if by chance their particular ukulele went for much less than the other ones.

In the end, win, win, win!

Nickie
12-22-2017, 09:21 AM
YAY, this is great news. I learned about it on the UKC Facebook page. Shame on me, I was following this, but got distracted by rehearsing and writing and performing Xmas music. The story is here, a little ways down from the top.
https://www.facebook.com/luthiersforacause/

Ukulele Eddie
12-28-2017, 02:39 AM
The Ukulele Review just posted a feature on the project, which includes specs, pictures and the video:

http://www.theukulelereview.com/2017/12/28/luthiers-for-a-cause-the-voice-of-the-luthier/

Rakelele
12-28-2017, 03:19 AM
Congratulations to everyone involved. This project is a winner in every aspect!