Looking for 8 string concert uke

LimuHead

Reaction score
I'm looking for an 8 string concert uke.

The search function on this site switches my search terms to 'string' & 'concert' and returns useless posts that have nothing to do with what I'm actually searching for.

So I come to you all now in hopes of finding an answer.

I'd like to get an 8 string concert & tune it
to GDAE.

Has anyone here done this?

How did it work out?

Who sells 8 string concerts?

Mahalo for any insight!

Mim and UkeRepublic have the 8-string Ohana concerts...

Have you considered just restringing a mandolin as Gg CC EE aA or any combination of low and high. or all high strings? I got the idea from a fellow from Hawaii who had a ukulele built for him that looked like a mando...f holes and all. I have a semibowl back that has an open centerhole. It is only strung 4 with Aquila reds, but looked at it the other day and thought about doing it as 8. The body ispear shaped and 10" at the widest part (the bridge) 11" long body and 3" side, with a 3/4" bowl shape to the back. The sound hole is 2 1/2" circular. The seven stave back has classic trim between them and around the top.(spruce). I have an octave mandolin coming which will also become a mandolele.

I'm looking for an 8 string concert uke.

The search function on this site switches my search terms to 'string' & 'concert' and returns useless posts that have nothing to do with what I'm actually searching for.

So I come to you all now in hopes of finding an answer.

I'd like to get an 8 string concert & tune it
to GDAE.

Has anyone here done this?

How did it work out?

Who sells 8 string concerts?

Mahalo for any insight!

It's difficult to tune a Uke to GDAE. I researched it lots. One can get the low G all right, but the E is very high. I know someone who uses some other kinda string for the Es, but they keep breaking. I've never seen a concert eighter. Mine is a tenor like most.

My concert banjolele is tuned to CGDA (another fifths tuning), and one can buy strings for it.

My info about GDAE may be incorrect, but that's what i found, so I gave up. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Top Bottom