Drowning in an array of ukes...

Griffis

Reaction score
Yesterday was my wife's birthday. We've been looking to get her a smaller classical guitar to replace her old one that got destroyed.

So, we looked at all the local music shops. We have only been in this area a few weeks, so it was our first time in any of the shops. I was impressed at what was on offer for a town this size. Better yet, the shops were all drippng with ukes!

I must have played two dozen different ukes at least during our window shopping spree. Not possible to recount them all, but I played many different Kalas and Lunas plus a Waterman, which I had been wanting to try out.

I've played many Kalas, Lunas, the Mahalo Dolphins, several Fender ukes before, but I encountered two brands that were new to me: Alani and Rainie.

I tried out several of each, different sizes and models, resonator ukes, etc.

I didn't get to spend a great deal of time with any of them, but two really stood out to me:

There was a soprano Alani that was darker looking than mahogany. Not sure of the wood, but laminate I'm sure. Had very nice rope binding that gave it really nice visual character.

Not affiliated with this or any other seller, but I found a link with picture:

http://olveramusic.com/en/ukul/3602...alani-series-rope-binding.html?content_only=1

'twas a sweet little number. Played easy, nice action, spot-on intonation. I can't for the life of me recall what the price tag was.

The other one that wanted to come home with me was the Rainie "Goldfish" soprano. Now this one topped $300 which is more than I'll ever again pay for a uke for various reasons, but I could see where that money would go.

The Rainee was, I believe, solid mahogany. It had etchings in the soundboard similar to Luna tattoo models. I generally do not care for the looks of those, but the Rainie had a nice nautical theme. Maybe a kraken? Regardless, it was the way it played and sounded that moved me.

That little Goldfish was so sweet and loud. Not brash, but the projection and sustain was among the best I've heard from the current crop of mass-produced sopranos from any company. Here's the page about this one:

http://www.antonioviolin.com/ukuleles/rainie-ukuleles

These brands and models may be old news around here, and I'm sure not trying to sell anything, but I really felt like a kid in a candy store yesterday.

If I'd had leisure cash and was in the market for more ukes, yesterday could have been dangerous!

As an aside, when I first took up uke in 2000, one of the first I owned was a humble Oscar Schmidt OU2. I really enjoyed that uke, and have missed it over the years. Though I prefer sopranos to concerts, that OU2 was my go-to uke for years when we were out on the deck, camping, traveling, etc.

I came across one of those yesterday as well and it was nice to play one again. They may have changed some specs on it over the years, but the one I played yesterday was even nicer than I recalled. To me, it may well be THE best beginner uke under $100, at least for concert scale. Rugged, simple, decent action and intonation...very nice for the $ though for a bit more, the standard Gretsch laminate ukes have really impressed me. Their G9100 soprano is my #1 at the moment.

Thanks for listening to me ramble. Have a good Friday folks!

Are the Alani and Rainie brands well-known around here? I had never heard of them.

I've never either. Amahi ukes have started to show up here in FL, though.

I've never either. Amahi ukes have started to show up here in FL, though.

My local music store had NOTHING but Amahi/Snail the last time I was there. I was sorely tempted.

LOVE the neck on the Rainie's I've played!

Hello Griffis,
In posting #1 you wrote........
"""Yesterday was my wife's birthday. We've been looking to get her a smaller classical guitar to replace her old one that got destroyed.

So, we looked at all the local music shops. We have only been in this area a few weeks, so it was our first time in any of the shops. I was impressed at what was on offer for a town this size. Better yet, the shops were all drippng with ukes!"""

So what about the wee wife darlin' sweetie pie and her 3/4 parlor size classical that you were going shopping for.?
Regards
Jim.

Last edited:
Griffis,

Yours is an interesting post on a number of fronts and I'll get to those shortly but first I must say that, alas, I have never heard of Alani or Rainie so I cannot comment one way or another.

A couple of your statements intrigued me. When referring to the Rainie you said, "Now this one topped $300 which is more than I'll ever again pay for a uke for various reasons, but I could see where that money would go." And when referring to the humbly priced Gretsch laminate you said, "Their G9100 soprano is my #1 at the moment." Those statements seem to add up to high praise for the $100 Gretsch (as well as the Oscar Schmidt OU2), and not so much praise for the higher-priced ukes you have owned. Would you care to expand on your experience? Forgive me if I am prying.

And please tell us if your wife has chosen a guitar. :D

David

So what about the wee wife darlin' sweetie pie and her 3/4 parlor size classical that you were going shopping for.?
Regards
Jim.

We're still shopping around, though she did like a 3/4 Fender nylon-stringer she tried on. (More on this below...)

A couple of your statements intrigued me. When referring to the Rainie you said, "Now this one topped $300 which is more than I'll ever again pay for a uke for various reasons, but I could see where that money would go." And when referring to the humbly priced Gretsch laminate you said, "Their G9100 soprano is my #1 at the moment." Those statements seem to add up to high praise for the $100 Gretsch (as well as the Oscar Schmidt OU2), and not so much praise for the higher-priced ukes you have owned. Would you care to expand on your experience? Forgive me if I am prying.

Oh, Lord no!--Not prying at all. I do not feel it's objectively true that the cheaper laminates I now prefer are "superior" to more vintage, or solid wood, or more expensive ukes I've owned or played.

However, for my purposes and lifestyle, minimalist approach to "things", and because I move frequently, cheaper laminates just make more sense. They are, generally speaking, sturdier and less prone to the vicissitudes of changes in climate, temperature, and altitude than their (often) more finely made solid wood or high-end/handcrafted counterparts.

I've been playing stringed instruments long enough to be discerning and able to appreciate the nuances of very nice
ukes...the acoustic properties, fine-honed playability, etc. But truth is, CNC machines and the advent of the internet along with global trade have ushered in an age where budget-friendly instruments of all kinds are available to players. Back in the 60s-early 90s, a lot of the cheap, beginner-level instruments from Asia were very poor quality. That's no longer the case. Internet communications have made it untenable for companies to churn out cruddy instruments because word would get around, online reviews, etc. and they wouldn't sell, the company would get a bad rap.

Plus, specs have gotten better and advances in laminates and the aforementioned CNC machines ensure a high level of quality control and consistency.

I mean, it's a ukulele. In many ways a thing of simple construction. If I were touring famous venues playing Bach transcription (and I wish I had that kind of talent) or recording in a high dollar studio, I would probably want a quality, custom, luthier-built instrument. But that's not where I'm at.

So I am very happy that for $100 or less there are many options for ukes that are solid, good quality players that sound great, play with ease and aren't so intrinsically "valuable" that I have to worry about them being stolen, damaged, suffering from humidity or lack of it, etc., etc. I can just have fun with them and should something happen to one, it is easily replaced. But they are still a joy to play and bring the happy.

And please tell us if your wife has chosen a guitar. :D

Ha! Well, as I said above, not yet. BUT I'm happy to say she may end up playing the baritone uke we already have, which would be nice. We'll see. I think the bari with me on soprano would pair well and a guitar might overpower the uke in volume anyway. I have to restring the baritone today and we'll get started playing some pieces. She may decide to forego a guitar altogether. Either way, we'll be playing together again. The thought of that makes me smile.

Griffis,

Thank you for the detailed reply. Now I understand where you are coming from and I like your thinking.

As something of a parallel to what you and you wife are experiencing, my wife decided just yesterday on the instrument she would like to learn. She has been lately allowing me to teach her some of what I know on the ukulele but had shown interest also in learning on the Seagull Merlin we saw in Guitar Center, which is a really cool instrument with a unique sound. Well, after another trip to Guitar Center yesterday, she made her choice and we ordered a concert scale Flea from the Magic Fluke Company. I'll have a much easier time teaching her to play an instrument I know how to play.

Your baritone and soprano combination should sound wonderful.

David

p.s. Now I have to get my dictionary and look up "vicissitude".

What are CNC machines?

I envy that you live where you can try more than three ukes. Last night I was dreaming of a road trip to Seattle to visit friends and go to Dusty Strings. Those Rainie ukes look nice.

That's so nice that you and your wife will be able to play together.

Griffis,

Thank you for the detailed reply. Now I understand where you are coming from and I like your thinking.

As something of a parallel to what you and you wife are experiencing, my wife decided just yesterday on the instrument she would like to learn. She has been lately allowing me to teach her some of what I know on the ukulele but had shown interest also in learning on the Seagull Merlin we saw in Guitar Center, which is a really cool instrument with a unique sound. Well, after another trip to Guitar Center yesterday, she made her choice and we ordered a concert scale Flea from the Magic Fluke Company. I'll have a much easier time teaching her to play an instrument I know how to play.

Your baritone and soprano combination should sound wonderful.

David

p.s. Now I have to get my dictionary and look up "vicissitude".

Hey there David! (My name is David as well.)

I had to look up the Seagull Merlin you mentioned. Very cool! Love the lines of it. The Seagull guitars I've played have been very nice.

Congrats on your lovely wife selecting a concert Flea! I can hear you two playing duets already! Flukes and Fleas are delightful, very well made instruments. They simply sound and play great. I hope you both are pleased and happy!

PS--sorry for throwing in a $10 word. I never do that intentionally. It's a byproduct of having been raised by college English & Literature professors. :(

What are CNC machines?

Well Ziret, I'm far from a technological wizard, but CNC machines (Computer Numeric Control)are essentially computer-run machines that can turn out high numbers of manufactured products with incredible accuracy and consistency. They are not dissimilar to 3D printers in the sense that you input specifications and measurements into a computer which then controls the shaping and basic construction of an object through machinery.

It is, of course, not in the same universe as having a luthier or craftsman lovingly hand-build a work of art, but it has improved mass-production of consumer items by orders of magnitude. There is still some assembly line work done even with CNC-produced items. With ukes, for example, the application of a finish or topcoat, or the installation of tuners, may still be done by hand by factory workers or other machinery.

They have absolutely revolutionized mass production and resulted in much increased precision, quality control, lower costs, etc.

Again, nothing like having a high-end custom job made, but as I indicated earlier, while I admire and even envy many of the gorgeous, heirloom-quality masterpieces many of the forum members here have commissioned from true artists, I just personally am willing to sacrifice the handmade nature and unique qualities of such instruments in favor of those which are more affordable, less fussy and not as precious.

I envy that you live where you can try more than three ukes. Last night I was dreaming of a road trip to Seattle to visit friends and go to Dusty Strings. Those Rainie ukes look nice.

I really like Walla Walla, but it is a haul to Seattle from there. Yes, I've not been to many shops anywhere in the US that had this many ukes on offer in so many varieties. It's pretty awesome, even if I'm only window shopping.

Hey there David! (My name is David as well.)

I had to look up the Seagull Merlin you mentioned. Very cool! Love the lines of it. The Seagull guitars I've played have been very nice.

Congrats on your lovely wife selecting a concert Flea! I can hear you two playing duets already! Flukes and Fleas are delightful, very well made instruments. They simply sound and play great. I hope you both are pleased and happy!

PS--sorry for throwing in a $10 word. I never do that intentionally. It's a byproduct of having been raised by college English & Literature professors. :(

No need to apologize for expanding my vocabulary. I just have to figure out how to work "vicissitude" into my sales spiel at the bike shop.

No need to apologize for expanding my vocabulary. I just have to figure out how to work "vicissitude" into my sales spiel at the bike shop.

Sweet talkin' bike shop owner to his beloved......
"Your lips are like petals. Bicycle petals."

Well Ziret, I'm far from a technological wizard, but CNC machines (Computer Numeric Control)are essentially computer-run machines that can turn out high numbers of manufactured products with incredible accuracy and consistency. They are not dissimilar to 3D printers in the sense that you input specifications and measurements into a computer which then controls the shaping and basic construction of an object through machinery.

It is, of course, not in the same universe as having a luthier or craftsman lovingly hand-build a work of art, but it has improved mass-production of consumer items by orders of magnitude. There is still some assembly line work done even with CNC-produced items. With ukes, for example, the application of a finish or topcoat, or the installation of tuners, may still be done by hand by factory workers or other machinery.

They have absolutely revolutionized mass production and resulted in much increased precision, quality control, lower costs, etc.

Again, nothing like having a high-end custom job made, but as I indicated earlier, while I admire and even envy many of the gorgeous, heirloom-quality masterpieces many of the forum members here have commissioned from true artists, I just personally am willing to sacrifice the handmade nature and unique qualities of such instruments in favor of those which are more affordable, less fussy and not as precious.

I really like Walla Walla, but it is a haul to Seattle from there. Yes, I've not been to many shops anywhere in the US that had this many ukes on offer in so many varieties. It's pretty awesome, even if I'm only window shopping.

Thank you! I thought they were some kind of tuner. I'm with you on the custom ukes. Plus, I'm pretty sure I'd make a dog's breakfast of my choices and as soon as I got it I'd wish I'd made different ones.

It's not hard to think of more than one reason to go to Seattle, it's just really hard getting in the car and doing it. Though heaven knows, Seattleites have no problem coming here. Hmm, maybe I should ask some tourists for a ride back ;)

I know it's not a classical guitar but I love my Little Martin LX.
Seriously, although it's made out of formica it sounds awesome and plays great.
As for ukes, I live a 50 miles north of NYC and have noticed a sharp decline in the number of ukuleles being sold.
It feels like the stores are starting to dump their inventory at this point.

Top Bottom