Gretsch 9120 for sale or possible trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziret

Reaction score
Tenor Gretsch 9120 Mahogany laminate for sale or possible trade.

All mahogany laminate in excellent condition. I bought it from a member thinking I was going to love tenor ukes. I didn't love tenor ukes and never play it. Today's the day I am finally listing the ones I'm ready to release.

It has Grover tuners that work great, and it sounds beautiful. Here's the write up from HMS. It has a nice low action and I have it strung with Aquila low g strings and I installed strap buttons. It comes with a foam hard case.

I would like to get what I paid for it, $100 shipped to you, including the case. I think I'm open to some sort of trade. I would like a Flea or Outdoor uke.

Thank you
20170217_160249.jpg20170217_160305.jpg20170217_160341.jpg

Last edited:
Ziret, like you I am just not a tenor guy.

However I have played this model and my current #1 player is the laminate Gretsch G9100 soprano.

I really think these Gretsch models are excellent, particularly considering the price and the fact they are laminates. I really can find no fault with mine and it sounds better every time I play it.

Good luck with the sale!

However I have played this model and my current #1 player is the laminate Gretsch G9100 soprano.

I have a 9100, also and love it!

Ziret, like you I am just not a tenor guy.

I really think these Gretsch models are excellent, particularly considering the price and the fact they are laminates. I really can find no fault with mine and it sounds better every time I play it.

Good luck with the sale!

Thank you. Every time I have played it in one of my uke groups, members tell me they love how it sounds. Now you've made me think about getting a concert or tenor... No! I'm trying to cut back!

I think one reason they sound so good is they have an unusually large body. Bigger than most tenors I've seen.

Thank you. Every time I have played it in one of my uke groups, members tell me they love how it sounds. Now you've made me think about getting a concert or tenor... No! I'm trying to cut back!

I think one reason they sound so good is they have an unusually large body. Bigger than most tenors I've seen.

Ziret, when I bought my Gretsch the shop had many Gretsch uke models so I was able to try out several including the G9120 tenor, long neck soprano, laminate soprano, solid mahogany soprano, resonator uke and their banjolele.

I was impressed with them all.

What I initially went home with was the Gretsch G9110 concert model. I was re-dedicating myself to ukulele and due to hand pain thought the concert was the way to go. But I couldn't get the soprano off my mind.

The concert model was great, but after a couple weeks I took it back and swapped it for the soprano.

I seriously considered paying more for the solid mahogany model but my wife (also a musician) was with me and we both honestly liked the sound of the less expensive laminate better. Sometimes you get lucky.

Several years back I had an old vintage Gretsch uke, probably 1950s era. It was a darn nice player but I really think the new ones are superior. Far nicer nuts, bridges and saddles IMO.

Sorry to take over the thread!

Ziret, when I bought my Gretsch the shop had many Gretsch uke models so I was able to try out several including the G9120 tenor, long neck soprano, laminate soprano, solid mahogany soprano, resonator uke and their banjolele.

I was impressed with them all.

What I initially went home with was the Gretsch G9110 concert model. I was re-dedicating myself to ukulele and due to hand pain thought the concert was the way to go. But I couldn't get the soprano off my mind.

The concert model was great, but after a couple weeks I took it back and swapped it for the soprano.

I seriously considered paying more for the solid mahogany model but my wife (also a musician) was with me and we both honestly liked the sound of the less expensive laminate better. Sometimes you get lucky.

Several years back I had an old vintage Gretsch uke, probably 1950s era. It was a darn nice player but I really think the new ones are superior. Far nicer nuts, bridges and saddles IMO.

Sorry to take over the thread!

Not a problem. That's interesting that you liked the laminate better. Mario, on the Facebook soprano lovers group (which it sounds like you might enjoy) likes his laminate Kiwaya better than his solid mahogany. I haven't heard the laminate, but I have a mahogany, and anything that beats it must be great. Laminates are improving much faster than their reputations. A friend has an all laminate Ohana soprano and I love how it sounds. Not like I love my Kiwaya, though. ☺️ I like the new Gretsch ukes and too, plus the fact that they give you Grover tuners on an entry level uke tells you they are serious about ukes. No one else does that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom