Corey Fujimoto Strings ?

Maybe a Ko'olau Gold tenor set with wound 3rd and 4th? Although, admittedly, the A string doesn't look very golden :) Maybe it's his own mix'n'match concoction. I guess it might depend on whether that is his own instrument or a HMS stock Pono (which it seems more likely would come with an 'off the peg' Ko'olau string set on it).

Thanks jollyboy , i must admit the squeaky 3rd and 4th is a bit of putting, but might be worth experimenting with i currently use a Fremont Soloist low G which i love so pairing other strings with that is a learning curve for me .

Thanks jollyboy , i must admit the squeaky 3rd and 4th is a bit of putting, but might be worth experimenting with i currently use a Fremont Soloist low G which i love so pairing other strings with that is a learning curve for me .

I've never tried the Golds but I have read a few negative comments about them here on UU (too stiff, too high tension). On the other hand they sound great (assuming it is them) on Corey's video :) I think with those strings you maybe need some uber finger strength to get the best out of them.

The Golds seem to be available in every possible wound/unwound combination. I guess some people might find an unwound nylon C too fat and thuddy, while others might find a wound C too squeaky :) Different strokes...

Personally I don't mind a bit of squeak and have lately been using D'Addario silver wounds myself (on a tenor and a baritone). The Fremont soloist is a great single low-G though (I've used it before) and matches really well with a good set of fluorocarbons imho :)

Maybe a Ko'olau Gold tenor set...

Wha? I thought these were long off the market! Years back I tried a few sets and loved them for certain ukes.

I liked the tension, guages...they looked like barely-cooked spaghetti noodles.

Only thing I didn't care for was the sound when your fingers struck them. Made a raspy noise, though that did wear off over time.

You might try calling him at HMS and asking him! And he does post here sometimes.

that is a really old video....looks like Ko'olau Golds with a different A string....
Corey experiments with strings a lot...he and Kalei right now are into Nylon strings Kalei uses nylon strings only...hopefully he will answer or I can ask him what the strings are....Btw the Ko'olau Golds are no longer available,unless you get some old stock from them...

I love those chords- Corey always sounds amazing. Like that Pono too.

Appreciate all the replies thank you , seems there's no hard and fast rules on string pairing just a matter of experimenting .

they are Ko'olau Golds with a Aquilla A string....pretty sure Soloist lowG strings did not exist then and not to many flat wound strings out then in 2010....so had to deal with the squeaks

Last edited:
Top Bottom