PDA

View Full Version : The new aquila Carbonblack strings

mimmo
02-18-2017, 12:14 AM
Hi Guys
I received yesterday this two video concerning the new Aquila Carbonblack strings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQCum4yE690

The player is Alyza Barro
Take care :)
Mimmo

hammer40
02-18-2017, 12:31 AM
They sound really good! When will they be available to purchase? I'd like to try some on my tenors. I went to the Aquila site but I could not seem to get them ordered.

It's great to see somebody always trying new materials though. I loved the reds, with the copper infused powder, but just had no luck with them not breaking on my ukes.

Thanks for posting these videos. It really helps to hear them in action.

mimmo
02-18-2017, 12:39 AM
We have just done 10,000 sets each ukulele type. At present most of our collaborators are working very fast to package them and send out to USA, in first instance. I have found the final formula and I must say that I am very impressed about what I have heard. I tell this thing without any business goal but just because I am a player (amatour) and I love music I have done a few of these carbonblack even for cuatro, charango, viola caipira, banjo, cavaqhino etc etc just to see what happen on these instruments. Yesterday I have done some Trebles for the classical guitar: amazing!
well, I am leaving Italy to China (due to my job) so starting from monday and for 1 week I will be not able to answer you there, guys.
Ciao
Mimmo :D

EDW
02-18-2017, 01:23 AM
I am looking forward to seeing and hearing these for soprano.

BearMakingNoises
02-18-2017, 02:18 AM
Any word on when they will be available in Japan? :)

ukatee
02-18-2017, 03:37 AM
....and in Europe?

mimmo
02-18-2017, 03:49 AM
Japan....Europe....I think more or less 1 month; unless one do not order in our own on line store. It is not possible to do faster: there are many and many passages to follow in the distribution. There are the very big distributors (we must wait their orders, we cannot oblige them to buy if they do not wat: they have their own planes); then they distribuite the strings to the stores: generally speacking, this process is slow and it is not possible make them faster by us
Ciao
Mimmo

Alytw
02-18-2017, 07:20 AM
Mimmo,

Can you make these or the reds for the Córdoba mini?

frigiliana
02-18-2017, 07:50 AM
I tried to order on the online shop but it keeps taking me back to the first page , maybe you have to order in bulk .

hammer40
02-18-2017, 07:57 AM
I tried to order on the online shop but it keeps taking me back to the first page , maybe you have to order in bulk .

Same thing happened for me. Can't seem to order them at the Aquila website.

Doug W
02-18-2017, 09:27 AM
Same thing happened for me. Can't seem to order them at the Aquila website.

Ditto - I guess we have to wait until they figure out distribution.

mimmo
02-18-2017, 10:09 AM
Ditto - I guess we have to wait until they figure out distribution.

Thanks for the segnalation guys
I will inform the Responsable of our on line shop that will fix soon the problem
Mini of Cordoba ?? Yes absolutely as well as the guilele/guitalele
Mimmo

frigiliana
02-18-2017, 10:11 AM
Brilliant thank you mimmo .

Nickie
02-18-2017, 04:10 PM
What a beautiful rendition of Fly Me To The Moon!

SoloRule
02-18-2017, 04:14 PM
Mimmo,

Can you make these or the reds for the Córdoba mini?

Adam
This is a great suggestion. If there is RED for the Mini R, I would be very very happy.
RED pleaseeeeeeee

Alytw
02-18-2017, 05:05 PM
Adam
This is a great suggestion. If there is RED for the Mini R, I would be very very happy.
RED pleaseeeeeeee

That's kind of what I was hoping for!

bonesoup
02-18-2017, 10:21 PM
The Carbonblacks sound awesome, Mimmo. I can't wait to try them. My favorite strings of any brand are your Lavas and Reds, but that could change when I try your new ones :)

Enjoy your trip to China. I hope it will be a little warmer than Northern Italy right now.

mimmo
02-18-2017, 10:58 PM
hey Bonesoup, it is sunny here in Italy today morning. 10 degree Celsyus.
however ther could weater is always here...

Alytw, what do ou think? Give me the time to came back from my trip and then, what do you think if I send you a Mini A tuning set made with these carbonblack and you test them for me? Same like Booli, my brother. If you acceprt please send me a PM with your adress and phone for a free sample.

what the hell dudes, there is a lot of thing to do about strings.
ah, one more thing: please do not ask me these carbonblacks for the uprigth bass...too crazy.
take care, guys
mimmo

Ps: Solorule. do you want one Mini set of Carbonblack fore a free test or maybe you prefere to wait 6 months and spend a lot of money? just a question man....

Alytw
02-19-2017, 12:07 AM
Mimmo,

Thanks for the offer. I would definitely like to test them out on the mini. I'll send you a PM.

DownUpDave
02-19-2017, 01:27 AM
Mimo, that is so nice of you to offer a set of Cordoba mini strings to Alytw and SoloRule. We are all friends and live not far from each other. They are both excellent players of both uke, guitar and their Minis. These strings will get a very good test by people that know what they are doing. SoloRule makes very good recording so I am sure she will do one for these strings.

SoloRule
02-19-2017, 02:03 AM
Thank you for the offer. PM sent
Greatly appreciated
Dave thank you for the compliment, I am in fact thinking of doing a video playing the mini R! You read my mind

M3Ukulele
02-19-2017, 11:31 AM
I think how we can help the process, is make our dealers aware of the new Carbonblack strings by Aquila and help create some demand. Nothing like customers emailing of ASKing to buy a product to get the dealers stocking. I have second request in to String by Mail asking for this product.

Thanks Mimmo for posting sound sample. I am impressed with clarity and balance of the clip.

Looking forward to trying these on all my tenors.

Pippin
02-19-2017, 11:58 AM
Those strings sound terrific on that ukulele. I'd love to do a review in Ukulele Player Magazine. Issue 33 is in the planning stages right now.

gianluca
02-20-2017, 12:18 AM
That's the way M3Ukulele, the shops move only upon request and the request moves the shop!
Make sure you'll ask for the new AGxAQ too!
Cheers

gianluca
02-20-2017, 12:19 AM
Hi Pippin,
drop me a line and we'll get you the strings you'll need for the review
aquila@aquilacorde.com

frigiliana
02-25-2017, 02:02 AM
Just ordered a set of Tenor strings they only have a high G set for sale so i plan on leaving my Fremont Soloist on and see how it goes , only problem i have is the strings that are on are relatively new so dilemma is can i resist putting the Carbonblacks on watch this space .

M3Ukulele
02-25-2017, 02:17 AM
Who did you order on line with? SBM said they have them on order, now waiting for due process and stock to arrive.

frigiliana
02-25-2017, 02:40 AM
I ordered them on Aquila's website don't think anybody is stocking them in the UK at the moment but i could be wrong .

http://shop.aquilacorde.com/product/carbonblack-tenore-set-cod-143u/

PhilUSAFRet
02-25-2017, 04:44 AM
We have just done 10,000 sets each ukulele type. At present most of our collaborators are working very fast to package them and send out to USA, in first instance. I have found the final formula and I must say that I am very impressed about what I have heard. I tell this thing without any business goal but just because I am a player (amatour) and I love music I have done a few of these carbonblack even for cuatro, charango, viola caipira, banjo, cavaqhino etc etc just to see what happen on these instruments. Yesterday I have done some Trebles for the classical guitar: amazing!
well, I am leaving Italy to China (due to my job) so starting from monday and for 1 week I will be not able to answer you there, guys.
Ciao
Mimmo :D

I want to tune my short scale tenor banjo linear GCEA instead of GCAE. Will your banjo set work? D string tune down to C? Individual strings available?

Doug W
02-28-2017, 06:28 AM
I ordered them on Aquila's website don't think anybody is stocking them in the UK at the moment but i could be wrong .

http://shop.aquilacorde.com/product/carbonblack-tenore-set-cod-143u/

So anywhere in the process of checkout on the Website, can the price be converted to US Dollars or whatever currency the buyer is using? I really want to check out soprano, concert and tenor sets and we sell our house in 2 days, so there should be enough money left for 3 sets of strings and a pack of gum.

frigiliana
02-28-2017, 07:13 AM
Not sure but i think if you pay with PayPal it converts it to your currency worth a try .

Doug W
02-28-2017, 07:27 AM
Thanks,

I will try that.

Rob Uker
02-28-2017, 09:49 AM
If I put them on my Fluke they'd be invisible.

mimmo
03-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Hi SoloRule & Alytwu,
As I am back from China, today I have sent you two Mini sets for both of you, guys:
one is in A the other is in E.
So you have the best chances to do all the tests.
They are made with these new Carbonblack strings, of course.
take care guys
Mimmo

Alytw
03-03-2017, 01:54 AM
Thanks Mimmo. That is very generous. I'll keep an eye out for the strings.

SoloRule
03-03-2017, 02:43 AM
Hi SoloRule & Alytwu,
As I am back from China, today I have sent you two Mini sets for both of you, guys:
one is in A the other is in E.
So you have the best chances to do all the tests.
They are made with these new Carbonblack strings, of course.
take care guys
Mimmo

Thank you Mimmo. I received your email. Didn't know you were in China. Hope you had a good trip and visited some factories.
I have uploaded the mini R demo here (if you search Kiss The Rain - played on mini R) . It's for comparison once I have the carbonblack strings. Alytwu has been in contact with me this morning. We will each do a different tuning but he is a much much better player than me so bare with me if I am making a fool of myself . ha ha Thank you again.

frigiliana
03-03-2017, 04:24 AM
I'm no expert on strings by any stretch of the imagination but i think your going to like these Carbonblack's , i've got mine on a Godin Multiuke with a Fremont Soloist and i'm very happy , i mainly strum but have been making myself do some lead work and they are excellent for both techniques (to my ears).
Well done Aquila keep up the good work .

Debussychopin
03-03-2017, 04:42 AM
I didn't read the whole thread but, these are just fluorocarbons right?

Alytw
03-03-2017, 05:24 AM
I didn't read the whole thread but, these are just fluorocarbons right?

Aquilas answer to fluorocarbons is what the website says. I would think not fluorocarbons, but it doesn't say.

EDW
03-03-2017, 05:31 AM
http://www.aquilacorde.com/modern-instrument-sets/6628/carbonblack/?lang=en

I believe in another thread it said something about fairy dust and the silken hair of virgins, but I might be wrong. :confused:

Doug W
03-12-2017, 10:19 AM
Well, I just ordered a soprano and concert set for my wife and a tenor set for me.

We shall see...

photoshooter
03-12-2017, 01:22 PM
Elderly Instruments shows Carbonblack in stock in all sizes. I ordered a few sets.

Doug W
03-12-2017, 01:35 PM
Elderly Instruments shows Carbonblack in stock in all sizes. I ordered a few sets.

Dang, I have some credit there. Next time then.

mimmo
03-14-2017, 08:28 AM
hello guys,
any news about the Carbonblack stringts designed for the Mini?
I hyave sent two sets, one4 in A and another in E to two guy for test
unfortunaterly I harde nothing back how they work
Thanks
Mimmo

Doc_J
03-14-2017, 08:37 AM
Hi Mimmo,

Just ordered some Carbon Black tenor strings from Elderly. Looking forward to trying them out.

SoloRule
03-14-2017, 09:00 AM
hello guys,
any news about the Carbonblack stringts designed for the Mini?
I hyave sent two sets, one4 in A and another in E to two guy for test
unfortunaterly I harde nothing back how they work
Thanks
Mimmo

Hi Mimmo
I still have not received the package from you
I will ask Adam now to see if he received it
We are both eager to give it a try
Thank you again

Thank you downupdave for alerting me to check this thread!

Alytw
03-14-2017, 11:13 AM
Mimmo,

Still haven't received the strings either. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Adam

mimmo
03-14-2017, 12:28 PM
ah!
thanks guys
I will do a check just to see what hapen
ciao
mimmo

frigiliana
03-15-2017, 02:30 AM
Gutted, week old 3rd string snapped at the tuners not sure if it was my fault was enjoying them as well might revert back to the reds till a few members here come back with more feedback . Don't let my bad luck put you of .

mimmo
03-15-2017, 08:38 PM
well, I have just seen that the Mini carbonblack strings for the tests were still NOT sent out!
sorry guys. I will do this job today
take care
mimmo

gilles T
03-16-2017, 01:42 AM
Dear Mimmo,

Just to let you know I'm very, very, happy and satisfied with the Carbon Black on my tenor (see the other thread on page 3 and, BTW maybe our dear mods could fuse the 2 threads in 1 ?).
And I have a question for you : can you tell when the new set for guitalele tuned in E will be available to purchase ?
Thanks in advance; grazie mille from Paris.
Gilles

mimmo
03-16-2017, 05:30 AM
Ciao gilles T,
thank you so much

The Mini E tuning carbonblack set: I am still doing some tests. then there is the envelopes to do and then the distruibutors....all these things take 2 months almost.
Please, who is able here to joint togheter the two threads?
Mimmo

SoloRule
03-16-2017, 04:13 PM
Ciao gilles T,
thank you so much

The Mini E tuning carbonblack set: I am still doing some tests. then there is the envelopes to do and then the distruibutors....all these things take 2 months almost.
Please, who is able here to joint togheter the two threads?
Mimmo

Mimmo
I received email notice from UPS yesterday. I will string them up as soon as I received them. Thank you again for your sample offer.

Brenda

Domiuke
03-16-2017, 10:15 PM
Dear Mimmo,

Just to let you know I'm very, very, happy and satisfied with the Carbon Black on my tenor (see the other thread on page 3 and, BTW maybe our dear mods could fuse the 2 threads in 1 ?).
And I have a question for you : can you tell when the new set for guitalele tuned in E will be available to purchase ?
Thanks in advance; grazie mille from Paris.
Gilles

Hello Gilles from Paris, here is Dominique from Saint Cyprien, where did you buy these strings.
Thank you , Merci.

gilles T
03-17-2017, 02:05 AM
Hello Dominique from St Cyprien,

I ordered directly form Aquila's official site and received the parcel very quickly.
J'ai commandé directement par internet sur le site officiel Aquila ; je ne crois pas qu'elles soient déjà distribuées par des vendeurs en ligne. A noter la livraison très rapide (trois jours).
Cordialement,
Gilles

Mivo
03-17-2017, 02:45 AM
I've only skimmed the thread, so I may have missed the info. What are the diameters of the tenor strings? Are there details when these will be available at European outlets? (Looked at Thomann and Schneider Musik in Germany.)

edit: I went ahead and bought two sets directly from Aquila, because Mimmo is always nice! :) Still curious about the diameter of the strings, though!

FinnP
03-18-2017, 07:47 AM
I just recieved a tenor and concert set direct from Aquila.
I've strung my Ohana SK30L (tenor neck soprano), and I'm not particular impressed.
They sound a bit dead with less sustain compared to the Living Water strings I use now.
There might be a problem with the E string? When I compare the flagolet at the 12th fret with the open string, it's about 15 cents flat.
i'll give them some time, but will probably go back to Living Water

photoshooter
03-18-2017, 01:07 PM
Gutted, week old 3rd string snapped at the tuners not sure if it was my fault was enjoying them as well might revert back to the reds till a few members here come back with more feedback . Don't let my bad luck put you of .

I installed a set this afternoon and the same happened to me. I bring the strings up to tune gently and a little at a time. The C string snapped when the uke was sitting there in between tuning. It snapped somewhere between the nut and the tuner peg. I left the E and A strings on the uke and put on some TI G and C strings. The trebles sound good, different than the Oasis I usually use. I put these on a Godin Multiuke. I have another full set I'll probably try on a different tenor.

Mivo
03-18-2017, 04:42 PM
There might be a problem with the E string? When I compare the flagolet at the 12th fret with the open string, it's about 15 cents flat.

Flat is interesting. Is the E string noticeably thinner than the LW string you had been using? If it had gone sharp, I would have guessed that it's thicker and your uke is not set up for it, but flat is different.

How long did shipping take?

I saw that SUS have the blacks in stock now, but at 10 pounds it's cheaper to buy them from Aquila directly.

FinnP
03-18-2017, 10:16 PM
Very fast, three days from Italy to Denmark (Paypal). But that is very unusual.

frigiliana
03-18-2017, 11:44 PM
Hi photoshooter that's a coincidence i too fitted them to my Godin Multiuke i can't see that being the problem , i have left the E & A strings on and paired them with a Fremont Soloist which i had left on as i couldn't buy a low G Carbon set from Aquila at the time and i've fitted a Aquilla red C string proper mixed bag sound OK though .

scatcat
03-19-2017, 11:49 AM
I've try the strings in a koa tenor ukulele. The sound is bright, more 'traditional' than the aquila nylgut, different and less 'complex'...i like it!

dhbailey
03-19-2017, 11:44 PM
I just put the carbonblacks on my Kala bocote Tenor uke yesterday and I really like them! First off, they stabilized really quickly. The original Aquila nylguts that came on the uke were horribly out of tune every day for a couple of weeks. These carbonblacks are only slightly out of tune after only a day of being on the uke. I like the tone and projection of them, also. Stronger and brighter than the nylguts. Now there are only 2 questions in my mind: 1) "how long will they last before they start to sound dead and will need replacing?" and 2) "How long will they retain their tone and brilliance in the package before being installed?" Of course, nobody really knows the answer to either of those questions yet. Cabonblacks are definitely an improvement over the nylguts in my opinion!

scatcat
03-20-2017, 12:15 AM
I just put the carbonblacks on my Kala bocote Tenor uke yesterday and I really like them! First off, they stabilized really quickly. The original Aquila nylguts that came on the uke were horribly out of tune every day for a couple of weeks. These carbonblacks are only slightly out of tune after only a day of being on the uke. I like the tone and projection of them, also. Stronger and brighter than the nylguts. Now there are only 2 questions in my mind: 1) "how long will they last before they start to sound dead and will need replacing?" and 2) "How long will they retain their tone and brilliance in the package before being installed?" Of course, nobody really knows the answer to either of those questions yet. Cabonblacks are definitely an improvement over the nylguts in my opinion!

I agree, they stabilized really quickly.

mimmo
03-20-2017, 03:33 AM
these strings, just installed are a bit dull,
stretch them by hands and see what happen.
The performance change drastically when they are very well stretched.
Mimmo

Doc_J
03-23-2017, 04:58 AM
Just put a set of Carbon Blacks on my Mya-moe tenor. Lots of stretching going on. The more they stretch and settle in, the more I like them. Going to let them settle in before I record.

Initial impressions after an hour. Nice chime/bell tones (more so than Worth CTs that were on this uke) but also good warmth, rounded tone, and plenty of volume. Good, but somewhat less sustain than the CTs. I like that. Sustain and tone improving with stretching and settling. The strings feel good to me, not quite as smooth as CTs but similar in thickness. I'm really liking these so far.

Doc_J
03-23-2017, 03:34 PM
Here's sound samples of a myrtle Mya-moe tenor for a comparison. Recorded with a Blue Yeti using Audacity.
1) Aquila Carbon Black strings reentrant:https://app.box.com/s/zo9ysxwu7eh2haqfv593cihjijswufn5
2) Worth CTs and a wound low g:https://app.box.com/s/rktmiu534m4y6m10t7ddxjvwdveq6ld3

After playing & listening to my own recording, my thought is the Aquila Carbon Black strings sound great playing finger-style, less so when strummed. Also, a good choice if using amplification. Oasis Brights are still my favorites. But for a chime/bell like tone Aquila Carbon Black deliver.

mimmo
03-23-2017, 08:43 PM
Thanks for your tests, Doc.
indeed I have found that the best performances are after a couple of days, i. e. when the stretching of the string stop. I do not know why this happen.
So I wonder which can be your opinion after this time. Maybe these Carbonblacks became too clear, metallic...
take care
Mimmo

Doc_J
03-25-2017, 03:10 PM
Thanks for your tests, Doc.
indeed I have found that the best performances are after a couple of days, i. e. when the stretching of the string stop. I do not know weehy this happen.
So I wonder which can be your opinion after this time. Maybe these Carbonblacks became too clear, metallic...
take care
Mimmo

Mimmo, I took your advice and let the last stretching finish and stop. You are right, the sound is even better.

The nice brightness is still there but with a bit more rounded tone (more mellow, less harsh/metallic than earlier) and increased sustain. Strumming now sounds as good as playing finger style. Clarity on these strings is excellent. Volume is also excellent. Going to keep these Carbon Blacks strings this uke. These are definitely a great bright, clear re-entrant sound. Fluorocarbons (Oasis, Worth) seem to have just slightly more sustain and warmth, but don't have quite the clarity/brightness of these.

Updated sound sample: https://app.box.com/s/od47q6k9a6qxbgqz6w2ewnu1v1w6e9ai

Glad I ordered 3 sets! :)

JesterBlod
03-28-2017, 06:16 AM
I have just received a Concert set - I was surprised to see they are distinctly grey, not black. I thought for a minute I had received a pack of the Lava strings by mistake. Comparing the colour with a Lava set I have and they are very similar, but the feel is totally different. They feel very similar to the red series strings. They have gone straight onto my Mahogany Howlett - quick initiative impressions are that they settle into tune very quickly (but I note from Doc_J above that the sound may change after they have been played in a while); they are certainly bright - similar to the reds, but maybe a touch more mellow. A cross between the red's and the lava's...... Once played in I may do a quick sound sample.

JesterBlod
03-28-2017, 08:59 AM
After a short playing in time of about an hour total:

https://youtu.be/FAQGaFTNtNo

Zagabog
03-29-2017, 07:31 AM
They feel very similar to the red series strings.

Glad you mentioned that, thanks. I really prefer very smooth strings.

BBaird
03-30-2017, 09:09 AM
Just wanted to echo everyone else's comments about these strings- I really like them and so far they're my new favorite. To me, on my uke, fluorocarbon had that bell tone but lacked "warmth" so I had actually gone back to D'Addarios...these Carbonblacks have the best of both to me...but again that's just my opinion- thanks Mimmo and Aquila!

jollyboy
03-30-2017, 09:48 AM
Anyone tried the baritone set yet?

DownUpDave
03-30-2017, 10:14 AM
Anyone tried the baritone set yet?

I ordered a baritone set and some tenors a few days ago. It will be a few weeks until I can install them and give a review, leaving for vacation.

Mivo
03-30-2017, 11:12 AM

The reds get very smooth after a few days of playing them. The rough texture is only temporary. (Just chipping this in if you like the tone but didn't like their initial texture.)

jollyboy
03-30-2017, 12:01 PM
I ordered a baritone set and some tenors a few days ago. It will be a few weeks until I can install them and give a review, leaving for vacation.

Oh cool :cool: I'm not in any particulary hurry. I look forward to hearing what you think of them :)

Osprey
03-31-2017, 02:54 AM
Oh cool :cool: I'm not in any particulary hurry. I look forward to hearing what you think of them :)

Also looking forward to your thought, Dave. I just put the Martins on mine and quite like them, but I am always searching for the next better set of strings.

FinnP
04-01-2017, 04:16 AM
Tried them on my Martin C1K concert. I had a slight buzz on the C string on the low frets with living water strings which disappeared :) I like them on this uke and the looks goes well with koa.

JesterBlod
04-01-2017, 06:33 AM

I echo Mivo - the strings have smoothed off in no time at all :)

Doc_J
04-03-2017, 09:30 AM
Had the Carbon Blacks on a tenor for 2 weeks. Opened the case today to find the C-string broke near the tuner. :( Odd as it is the thickest string with the lowest tension. :confused:

frigiliana
04-03-2017, 09:37 AM
Unfortunately this has happened to me and another forum member exactly the same near the tuner i thought it was my fault not fitting it correctly but it's too much of a coincidence now , i've still got the E & A working perfectly strange .

Tof
04-03-2017, 10:11 AM
I tried these strings last week, and same problem, 3rd string broken near the tuner.

jackj
04-03-2017, 10:27 AM
These breakage reports are disappointing to hear, especially since I've got a set (concert) arriving tomorrow. Wondering if these have all been the C string in the tenor set?

hammer40
04-03-2017, 10:32 AM
Had the Carbon Blacks on a tenor for 2 weeks. Opened the case today to find the C-string broke near the tuner. :( Odd as it is the thickest string with the lowest tension. :confused:

Unfortunately this has happened to me and another forum member exactly the same near the tuner i thought it was my fault not fitting it correctly but it's too much of a coincidence now , i've still got the E & A working perfectly strange .

I tried these strings last week, and same problem, 3rd string broken near the tuner.

I hope these strings don't have the same problem the Reds have had. I liked those strings a lot but gave up on them after several breaks. I wonder if they are the same material...some have mentioned they had the same texture to them.

I haven't tried these yet, but will hold off for a while to see how it goes.

Tof
04-03-2017, 10:33 AM
Yes, tenor set for me. The C string broke after a couple of days.

frigiliana
04-03-2017, 10:43 AM
Tenor set for me and C string , won't be buying anymore .

mimmo
04-03-2017, 08:20 PM
mmm. heck, thanks for these reports
for the guys that has problem with C string: please send me a PM for a fast replace with two spare strings of C note.
I will do a few canges to fix the problem.
right now I received back 10 complaints about the C string on a few thousand sets sold out.
yes the statistic is low but there are even those that do not complaint.
I will do the changes tomorrow
In the meatime please remember that I am there to do my service.
People spend money for a good product, so they deserve my attention.
Take care
Mimmo

JesterBlod
04-03-2017, 09:32 PM
I have had no problems with a breakage yet, but I don't with the Reds either anymore. When I first tune them up, until they are well settled, I do lift them out of the nut sots so they can't get nicked or scraped. Maybe that's why they are breaking by the tuner (i.e. the damaged bit ends up - when the strings are stretched - at the tuner?)

frigiliana
04-03-2017, 09:39 PM
You might be right and in future if i buy some more i'll use that technique of lifting them out of the nut slot , i too didn't have any problems with the red's , strange! , the fact that it's seems to be only the C string on the members that have commented here does seem odd.
But hats of to Aquila and Mimmo for responding so quickly to our feedback .

mimmo
04-04-2017, 12:06 AM
well, there is a way to install the string at the peg hole that actually can breack some kind of strings. hard to explain.
I would like to do a short video..-...
mimmo

ps: thanks dudes to contact me by PM

photoshooter
04-04-2017, 12:34 AM

Yup, that would be me. I contacted frigiliana because it seemed odd that we both had C strings break up near the tuner. I didn't do anything differently than I always do. In any case thanks to Mimmo for responding. I don't need a replacement C string as I paired the E and A with two wound Tomastek strings for now. I also have another set of Carbonblacks that I will install on another uke. I'll echo what some others have already said; the strings settled in very quickly and have remained in tune. I like the sound.

frigiliana
04-04-2017, 12:51 AM
Mimmo could you comment on this method for re-stringing a Ukulele as this is the method i use , it's from Martin youtube videos .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC9EeMHGMkE&t=297s&ab_channel=MartinGuitar

Doc_J
04-04-2017, 02:41 AM
mmm. heck, thanks for these reports
for the guys that has problem with C string: please send me a PM for a fast replace with two spare strings of C note.
I will do a few canges to fix the problem.
right now I received back 10 complaints about the C string on a few thousand sets sold out.
yes the statistic is low but there are even those that do not complaint.
I will do the changes tomorrow
In the meatime please remember that I am there to do my service.
People spend money for a good product, so they deserve my attention.
Take care
Mimmo

Thanks Mimmo. Will send a PM.

You might be right and in future if i buy some more i'll use that technique of lifting them out of the nut slot , i too didn't have any problems with the red's , strange! , the fact that it's seems to be only the C string on the members that have commented here does seem odd.
But hats of to Aquila and Mimmo for responding so quickly to our feedback .

Just took a pic of the break. The break location was very near the spindle, it was always above the nut. There was no scratching from slot on nut. From the pic one can see the spindle insert and scale (inches).

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=99063&d=1491309622

jzzlvr
04-07-2017, 05:19 PM
Hi mimmo,

When can we expect the Carbonblack for Cordoba Mini to hit retailers? I'm in need of new strings soon. I can wait a month or two to try the Carbonblack but if it will take longer than that, I'll go with the original Aquila for Cordoba for now.

Thanks!

mimmo
04-07-2017, 08:50 PM
Unfortunately I am very busy to do other things in these times. that Mini carbonblack were just a test. By the way.l how they work? Since now I have received no feedbacks from a few guys that are tested them.
----
how to install the strings: my comment on tyhat video is positive; this is one of the right way to install these strings. I have another way; In will do a fast video soon, man.
ciao
Mimmo

Alytw
04-08-2017, 04:10 AM
Unfortunately I am very busy to do other things in these times. that Mini carbonblack were just a test. By the way.l how they work? Since now I have received no feedbacks from a few guys that are tested them.
----
how to install the strings: my comment on tyhat video is positive; this is one of the right way to install these strings. I have another way; In will do a fast video soon, man.
ciao
Mimmo

Mimmo,

I provided feedback on the mini set via a PM. The A tuning set broke during installation. The a string broke in the middle, not near the nut.

The E tuning set had terrible intonation. The g was sharpe one fret at the octave, and the b was slightly sharpe. The tone was good and I think they are better than the original e set, but the intonation issues were too much. I play up the neck a lot. I left them on for a few days to see if they would settle, but the intonation didn't change.

I have a picture of the break but don't know how to upload.

I ordered a new set of the original nylgut e set and put them back on. The intonation on these is very good.

Adam

scatcat
04-08-2017, 04:11 AM
After 20 days, no problem with C strings!!! All Ok and fantastic sound!!!!

mimmo
04-08-2017, 05:13 AM
Thanks Adam
well, this mean that I will do other tests working in a better waym and, expecially slow.
Ok, at present i lost the battle of the carbonblack on a Mini. ah ah
thanks dude
Mimmo

Ps: I have sent out some replaces for the C strings. I am anxiopus to hear by these guys. have you all a nice weekend.

ScooterD35
04-08-2017, 06:54 AM
I just got two sets (concert and tenor) and plan on putting them on my Fluke and Flea.

I bought them from Elderly Instruments, btw.

Scooter

Alytw
04-08-2017, 07:41 AM
[QUOTE=mimmo;1957105]Thanks Adam
well, this mean that I will do other tests working in a better waym and, expecially slow.
Ok, at present i lost the battle of the carbonblack on a Mini. ah ah
thanks dude
Mimmo

Thanks Mimmo. Once the issues are addressed I would definitely try them again. One other note, even after I stretched them, they were too stretchy and there were too many windings for the space on the g string. It seems that the g is the biggest problem (in e tuning).

What about the reds? I like those strings a lot and think that they would be good on the mini. Do you plan on making a red set for e tuning?

Adam

Wolfgang von Bockenheim
04-09-2017, 09:26 PM
Salve Mimmo,

Wolfgang from Germany here. I ordered one Tenor and one Concert set from your online store.

The Concert set is still unused, but I can provide feedback on the Tenor set.

l like the idea, I like the look and feel, I like the diameter and the tension, I like the tone, which is powerful and brilliant, but not as trebly as the Reds. Perhaps a little more R&D could address the issues that came up in this thread?

Ciao,

WvB

BBaird
04-11-2017, 08:39 AM
Just wanted to echo everyone else's comments about these strings- I really like them and so far they're my new favorite. To me, on my uke, fluorocarbon had that bell tone but lacked "warmth" so I had actually gone back to D'Addarios...these Carbonblacks have the best of both to me...but again that's just my opinion- thanks Mimmo and Aquila!

So I've been playing more with these and still really like the sound and no breakages yet...BUT, I've noticed I'm having intonation issues where I haven't before...anyone else? Might be a fluke, I've got more sets so I can swap out. Might also try the new Aldrine set and compare...

mimmo
04-18-2017, 12:42 AM
Hi guys,
here is a short video how I install these tred series without any breackage.
I have done it using the most critical string that it is the C note.

https://youtu.be/TYl4uWTFIQ4

Steve in Kent
04-18-2017, 06:50 AM
So I've been playing more with these and still really like the sound and no breakages yet...BUT, I've noticed I'm having intonation issues where I haven't before...anyone else? Might be a fluke, I've got more sets so I can swap out. Might also try the new Aldrine set and compare...

G goes flat on 12th
C goes sharp on 12th
E OK on 12th
A OK on 12th

Not enough to really worry me though, 1 or 2 "slices" on a Snark tuner, so it might even be the tuner.

Mivo
04-18-2017, 07:24 AM
Hi guys,
here is a short video how I install these tred series without any breackage.
I have done it using the most critical string that it is the C note.

https://youtu.be/TYl4uWTFIQ4

Thank you, Mimmo! That is a very different way (from what I have been doing) at the tuner post. I normally put the string in the hole from the top (twice, if it's a thinner string), then pull the end up and begin to turn the button. I'll try this next time.

frigiliana
04-18-2017, 07:43 AM
Yes thank you Mimmo for the video , it's roughly what i've been doing except you seem to be going twice round the string before pulling it up to the tuner.
I haven't received the replacement C string yet but when i do i'll give your method a try , still enjoying the A & E strings though.

BBaird
04-19-2017, 06:26 AM
G goes flat on 12th
C goes sharp on 12th
E OK on 12th
A OK on 12th

Not enough to really worry me though, 1 or 2 "slices" on a Snark tuner, so it might even be the tuner.

Awesome, thanks for checking and responding. I'll try another set...