NBD - Barnes & Mullins banjolele UBJ2

ukatee

Reaction score
I've always had a soft spot for banjos, and my son plays one, but in practice I find them too loud and heavy for me. Even a regular banjo uke seemed a bit too much for my use. But when I saw this little beauty advertised locally on Gumtree I couldn't resist!

I didn't know they came as small as this. It sounds pretty authentic to my ear but rather gentler than a full size one. I'm having such fun with it - just started learning 12th Street Rag.

:)

Attachments

• ble-front-sm.JPG
    ble-front-sm.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 25
  • ble-rear-sm.JPG
    ble-rear-sm.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 21
Wow.........what a beauty, is it a soprano scale length. The body looks smaller that soprano size but I bet it is a lot of fun to play.

Congratulations! You are going to have so much fun!

Congrats! I played my Duke banjolele today, the only thing I would change is give it a concert scale neck instead of tenor.

Is it a 6 or 7 inch head? The old ones I have are 7, but my newer Eddy Finn has a 6 inch head. They really are a great sound in a small package. Aquila red strings really make them project. The concert neck makes doing fast fingering a little more difficult....but then again....that depends on the size of your hands. Do you have a strap on it? I am going to make a cradle strap for mine with a hook and loop closure rather than tie or some other metal closure. If you want to make one for yours let me know and I will share with you how easy it is to do.

It's a 6 inch head. At the moment it just has plain nylon strings - they sound remarkably good but I was thinking of trying Aquila Reds on it. I hope they have got over the problem with breakages. It is a soprano scale but there is room on the neck for more frets as the body is so small.

It came with a guitar strap which is a bit long for me even though I've made it as short as I can, so I'd be very interested to see yours.

Top Bottom