NVRTGD: New Vintage Regal resonator tenor guitar

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I realize this doesn't officially qualify as a uke but it does for me.......in a vague way. I started on ukes, mostly tenors, and now have a few baritones, and tenor guitars. They are tuned DGBE and I play them both the same way. They are like big steel string baritone ukes to me. I know other members here have tenor guitars so that they too can venture into the steel string sound..I figured they would enjoy seeing this.

This is a vintage Regal resonator tenor guitar from the mid 1930s. This is a first for me in a couple areas, first resonator and first vintage instrument. I was very lucky that a friend of Simons offered to sell this to me. He inherited from his uncle who had bought it new. It is in amazing shape, I put new strings on it and it plays as well or better than my other much newer tenor guitars. Here is a sound sample, and some pictures. Playing is a little sketchy as it is a new song and instrument I am learning

https://app.box.com/s/kkym2t8kxrkny4zoknl7vimpmkplszl6

20170218_174228.jpg20170218_174546.jpg20170218_174504.jpg20170218_174842.jpg

Last edited:
The nice thing about this tenor guitar is it does have a 1-3/8" nut width just like a ukulele. Most are at 1-1/8" and I find that kinda cramped..The old friction tuners work great and do not slip at all, as you see they are quite heavy duty in the barrel area. Adds to the vintage vibe:eek:ld:

20170218_174622.jpg20170218_174708.jpg20170218_174251.jpg20170218_174802.jpg.

Last edited:
Whoa brother, what a beauty! So well preserved. Congratulations × 1,000,000. I wish you 100 years of enjoyment with it.

I have owned a number of vintage instruments over the years. They have stories. I hate to anthropomorphize an instrument, but I think there is something to their "soul" or mojo. Who owned them, where were they played, how many songs and vibrations have they experienced...

Cool about the nut width too. I tried my hand at tenor banjos and guitars both and just found the necks too narrow for me. Great for chording, but my Homer Simpson fingers couldn't manage to flatpick or fingerpick on them.

Man...that truly is beautiful. What a classic, classy, beautiful piece. I am sincerely so jazzed for you!

Congratulations, it's beautiful! Isn't it wonderful how many vintage instruments have been preserved through generations for us and our offspring's offspring to enjoy someday!

Congratulations Dave. That's a great addition to your collection. I love the sound of Reso's. I used to have a National Radiotone but sold it after my left wrist started wearing away. Miss the sound.

This is a whole new different kind of animal + a new kind of UAS bugs. No doubt you will be buying more resonator instruments to complete your collection.
When is the next [show and tell party] although I have nothing to show anymore. :eek:
Congratulation and many more to come.
Happy you added a new path to your music journey. You are full of surprises downupdave.

That is sweet looking and sounding! Nice addition!

Do you know what woods are used?

Dave
How are the strings in comparison to your tenor guitar? Are they very stiff on your fingers?

Wow that is so neat! It looks to be in incredible shape. I like the mesh over the sound holes, looks like old speakers. Beautiful sunburst and binding.

Sweet pickin on the sound sample. I like the tone and I dig that twang. It would be a perfect instrument for live gigs or your get togethers.

Awesome find - congrats Dave!

@Griffis: Thanks for the nice sentiments and heart felt comgratulations. I am starting to appreciate how cool vintage instruments really are, you certainly can feel the MOJO

@Campbell: The collection might be heading in a different direction now, oh no.....:drool: Thanks brother

@Mountain goat: Hey Jon I was speakless when I first opened the case, had no idea it would be so nice. The only thing better would be to hear you play this bad boy, you'd make it howl mate

@Nickie: Your comments about old things and some of them being so well preserved really struck a chord with me. In this day and age of instant gratification and disposablity it is nice to see something that was obviously loved and so well taken care of for over 80 years. We are of the generation that you owned the same TV for 25 years and had it fixed when it wasn't working. Now you throw it out after 3 years and buy a new one because it is bigger and shinier

@Hollis, I have always loved the sound of a resonator as well. That National you had must have been something special. Thanks.

@Solorule: Hey Brenda you know me too well......more tenor resonators on the horizon for sure. Got my eye on a metal body with pick up. You asked about the strings and my other tenor guitar. The Blueridge is the same scale length and almost the same body size. But this thing weighs a ton and even sitting down I need a strap, very lower bout or bottom heavy. The neck is actually V shaped which was common back then.

20170219_065632.jpg20170219_065718.jpg

Last edited:
@Eddie Thanks so much for the compliments about the looks and the sound. It is different enough from my Blueridge to have a solid place in the ijne up. Did you end up selling your Blueridge or did you keep it? Most of these old resonators by Regal were a laminate body construction as the cone does all the work to give it that distinct sound. This actually has an authentic Dobro cone with the patent number stamped on it.

20170219_073236.jpg

@Alytw: Hey Adam I know you liked it when you played it. The trebles do have a real pop when plucked with any force. But they also have a sweet drone when picked softly.

@bonesoup: Dan, thanks so much for the nice words. I am enjoying this instrument a lot and it will give me a reason to learn slide, I've always wanted to. I may live in the city but I'm a redneck country boy at heart

Last edited:
You are opening a whole new department for us. First the baritone , tenor guitar, custom built uke...
Tim would want one too!
I wonder if I can finger pick. Will it slice my fingers and the weight probably break my neck ?
Leave the door open! I am on my way !

When I referred this Reso Guitar to Dave, I had no idea it would make him so happy and the envy of so many people.

I am happy I did.

It is in immaculate shape and your playing is really great.

@Osprey: Hey Cliff thanks so much, how is the new baritone of yours , lovely instrument really. But watch out because it leads to tenor guitars, lol.

@John Sargent: I never thought I might own something like this vintage reso, I am lucky, thanks. Definitely going to be giving slide a go

@ sam13, Simon if it wasn't for you none of this would be happening right now. Thanks for being a good friend, you got to come over and try it. I will pull you over to the darkside eventually :p

Last edited:
@Eddie Thanks so much for the compliments about the looks and the sound. It is different enough from my Blueridge to have a solid place in the ijne up. Did you end up selling your Blueridge or did you keep it? Most of these old resonators by Regal were a laminate body construction as the cone does all the work to give it that distinct sound. This actually has an authentic Dobro cone with the patent number stamped on it.

That's so cool. Very happy for you. I returned the Blueridge to Musician's Friend. I was going to exchange it for a Blueridge BR-162 (12-fret join guitar) but because I paid with Paypal they had to do a straight return. I was shocked/pleasantly surprised that I was only charged $11 for the return shipping. As I waited for the return to clear, I came across a great deal on a Taylor GS Mini that I'm considering.

Top Bottom