High G on a baritone tuning

walcottnguyen

Reaction score
A month ago I ordered a tenor, since I already got one I decided to tune this one like a baritone
At first I tried with the Aquila tenor dGBE but it sounded so wrong to me for some reason. Then I swapped the high D for a low D, it sounded good but I got used to the high tone of my other tenor, it felt like playing a bass.
Already hating the high D tuning, I decided to replace the low G for the high G. Surprisingly it sounded very pleasant.
I wonder if anyone has ever done the same?

Not sure totally what you mean. I tune my baritone GCEA linear...Did you go GCEA re-entrant? Makes for a great sound because the Bari gives beautiful resonance. I just like the linear tuning because the bass response is so great to.

Not sure totally what you mean. I tune my baritone GCEA linear...Did you go GCEA re-entrant? Makes for a great sound because the Bari gives beautiful resonance. I just like the linear tuning because the bass response is so great to.

No, I mean I tune my uku DgBE, instead of the low G I use the high G. Sound really great and Hawaiian-like

Huh, that's a new one.

I tune my tenor dGBE and had trouble with the G string booming out. I had to shift to an E string before I tamed it. My Cedar topped tenor couldn't take low G tuning at all. Or maybe I needed to learn how to play her?

I'd love to hear yours.

When I had a baritone, I had used Ken Middleton's Living Water Strings re-entrant dGBE - high "D", low G, and LOVED those strings and that sound. That's what I would do if I had a baritone.

Top Bottom