Wanted: Northern ukulele

ichadwick

Reaction score
I have now acquired two of these ukes, both needing some work. One has a broken fretboard, on the second the fretboard was replaced with a plastic concert fretboard.
So I need a third for parts.
I want one with a complete fretboard, and would also like all four tuners. Will consider any condition to get the parts.

Last edited:
Just to keep this fresh, I'll consider Northern parts like a neck or headstock, too, as long as they're in reasonable shape. A couple of fretboards would be nice, though.

Yes - there was a pair of them in a used-instrument store a couple of hours' drive away that I was trying to buy, but the store owner closed down his shop a few weeks ago before I could get the time off to make the trip. Damn.

Good price for the pair, too, but overall they usually don't sell for a lot anyway, so I suppose that's why there aren't a lot of them on eBay.

So I'm still looking. People up here tell me they've seen them in their basements or their kids' basements and attics, but I can't get anyone to dig one out to sell me (yet). Maybe I'll place an ad in the local paper... they were used in local schools for many years and hundreds of kids in this area owned them.

Do you have one (or more) for sale?​

Still Looking for a Northern?

I discovered this thread while looking for a current value for the Northern. I have a JCD-2 (according to the internal label) which has been checked over and restrung by a local luthier. I can provide photos if you so desire. I wish to sell as I don't play it (at all). I do mando.

Al

Please post photos. I am interested. I've recently been offered one by someone in canada, but I don't know its condition. I might want both... then I'd at least have all the parts for one good one!

Photos of Northern

Hi Ian,

I am posting photos with the reply. I am writing from Kingston, ON by the way.

northern1.jpg

northern2.jpg

music for sale aug 2009 045.jpg

Please let me know if you would like more specific parts of the instrument photographed.

Al

I own a Northern too -- acquired it from an antique mall while on vacation in Toronto. It sounds pretty good (with new Aquila strings) although the shape of it doesn't jazz me.

So what are they worth?

So far, I've been able to get three at $30-$40 each. Shipping extra. I bought one concert at a local hock shop for $30 and another from a Hamilton woman for $35, and the soprano from a seller in New Brunswick for $40. Only the one from Hamilton is in very good condition.

Not very expensive, and apparently not very collectible, outside Canada anyway. I like them for their Canadian connection, but prefer others - tenors especially - for playing.​

Since the body shape of these is so odd, how can you tell what size it is? The one I have seems larger than a soprano uke, and now that you mention the sizes, I'm thinking it might be a concert uke?

Hey all you uker, I have 9 Northern Soprano ukuleles available for parts. All of them have Fret boards, that are the same size for a triangler uke(7 3/4 inches), some are missing nuts. All are in fixable condition.

I am looking for 1 Northern bridge pin.

Send me an email uketheplanet@hotmail.com

Thanks and Uke the Planet,
Cecil

Since the body shape of these is so odd, how can you tell what size it is? The one I have seems larger than a soprano uke, and now that you mention the sizes, I'm thinking it might be a concert uke?
Stand them on their end and you can see the difference. Plus you can measure the distance from nut to saddle.

I have a like-new, never played, JCD-3 with the original case. I'd consider a trade.

Top Bottom