Surf Music

Griffis

Reaction score
..I hope this is in the right part of the forum.

I have wide-ranging taste in music. Very much so.

But perhaps my two greatest musical loves are pre-WW2 blues, jazz and folk/country, and instrumental rock from the 50s-60s. The Ventures, The Shadows, Dick Dale, Duane Eddy, Link Wray, Davie Allan & The Arrows, Santo & Johnny and a host of instro surf bands both famous and obscure.

I have played in many bands that made this type of music and I also never get tired of listening to the stuff. It just instantly transports me into another time and a great headspace.

I have never really attempted to play this sort of thing on solo uke.

I wondered if anyone here plays any tunes like these. Walk Don't Run, Pipeline, Bullwinkle, Rebel Rouser, Rumble, Wipeout, etc.

I think it would be a blast. Any advice, suggestions, experience along those lines?

Anyone here also into older instrumental rock from that era?

Yay a music thread :)

There are a few virtuoso ukulele performances of Miserlou knocking about the interwebs. Like this one...

Frankly if I could play anywhere even close to as well as they do I'd er... explode, probably :p Or to put it another way surf music looks kinda difficult to me. Kudos to anyone who can play it well :)

^^^ Ummm...wow. That makes me want to throw in the towel before I even start out trying.

I don't think I could ever come close to that, especially on a soprano!

..I hope this is in the right part of the forum.

I have wide-ranging taste in music. Very much so.

... The Ventures, The Shadows, Dick Dale, Duane Eddy, Link Wray, Davie Allan & The Arrows, Santo & Johnny and a host of instro surf bands both famous and obscure.

Anyone here also into older instrumental rock from that era?

Hank Marvin's tremelo'd Strat ... Duane Eddy's "The Twang's The Thang", Jan and Dean, early Beachboys ... I grew up with them on the "transistor sister" and still have some of the vinyl!

I attempt some of the music on a full-size electric guitar occasionally, but I've not tried it on a ukulele (yet) ;)

:music:

My ensemble covered The Shadows' Apache a while back:

We're working on an arrangement of Misirlu now, but it's a bit more Korla Pandit than Dick Dale.

I love Pandit's version. In fact I put together a CD of nothing but versions of Misirlou. I think the earliest one I have is from 1918.

By the way, your ensemble's version of Apache kills. Just beautiful.

I love Pandit's version. In fact I put together a CD of nothing but versions of Misirlou. I think the earliest one I have is from 1918.

By the way, your ensemble's version of Apache kills. Just beautiful.

Thanks so much! Hopefully we'll have Misirlu in shape for the next time we perform.

I'm inspired to find a good surf tune and adapt it for uke! Surf but with more of an island vibe.. Help me out, what's a great surf song with a strong melody?

I was just thinking today about performing a parody of the Beach Boys "409" next week at one of our open mics with one of the other members of The CC Strummers with whom I put the lyrics together. We were goofing off before rehearsal a couple of months ago talking about the Tesla S and somehow the idea hit us.

Tesla S 409 re-lyric.jpg

Ukulele Extra Cheese did this cover of Walk Don't Run in the Seasons a while ago. It's really well done. It's a fun arrangement to play, and not too difficult to pick up, because you can see everything he is doing.

But perhaps my two greatest musical loves are pre-WW2 blues, jazz and folk/country, and instrumental rock from the 50s-60s. The Ventures, The Shadows, Dick Dale, Duane Eddy, Link Wray, Davie Allan & The Arrows, Santo & Johnny and a host of instro surf bands both famous and obscure.

I also like Surf Music, and Rockabilly as well. I'm trying to learn some of these tunes, but can't claim to have made much progress. I don't have any experience playing in a band like you do.

The "guitar" portion of Wipeout is easy to learn, but this is essentially a drum solo piece.

There are tutorials and demos of Surf Music on YouTube. You might start with Pipeline;

http://www.muffin.net.nz/muffin/Uke_Tab_files/Pipeline%20low.pdf

I play
walk don't run
Hawaii 50
The Munsters Theme
Sleepwalk

I love this stuff too.

I'm currently building a Ventures inspired Mosrite style ukulele.
Check out my facebook. I'm going to post some progress pictures today.

Top Bottom