The Ukulele Site podcast

etudes

Reaction score
I've been immersing myself in the Ukulele Site podcast these last few weeks. Great conversation on uke related topics. Wonderful guest artists, teachers, builders. In fact my latest Uke purchase was a direct result of an episode. Andrew and Co. thanks for making it happen.

Last edited:
OK. I'll bite. What was your latest purchase? Inquiring minds.....

The podcasts are great. I really like the interview with Tobias Elof.

David

OK. I'll bite. What was your latest purchase? Inquiring minds.....

The podcasts are great. I really like the interview with Tobias Elof.

David

That was one of my favorites as well, Tobias Elof. Very cool stuff and it was funny as well. But it was the episode on Blackbird Ukes that rocked my ukulele world. I started listening to everything I could find on them and it took a few weeks to decide on the Farallon. Still waiting for it to arrive.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks so much! I have some others scheduled like one with Zanuck Lindsey lesson/interview (he’s awesome!) and Benny Chong too. Plus we need to do another soon going over Cites information and covering some of the NAMM stuff and new things we haven’t been able to get to. I am spending my late nights recently working on a new review site better organizing our resources along with some new stuff. Podcasts will be a section there with a little write up and links so stay tuned. Anyway, lunch is over, back to da bench. Mahalo friends!

I'll have to check out the Blackbird episode. Very cool ukes!

Good work Andrew!

Hey, thanks so much! I have some others scheduled like one with Zanuck Lindsey lesson/interview (he’s awesome!) and Benny Chong too. Plus we need to do another soon going over Cites information and covering some of the NAMM stuff and new things we haven’t been able to get to. I am spending my late nights recently working on a new review site better organizing our resources along with some new stuff. Podcasts will be a section there with a little write up and links so stay tuned. Anyway, lunch is over, back to da bench. Mahalo friends!

Thanks Andrew! Great to hear what's in the pipeline!!

The HMS podcasts are a must listen for any uke enthusiast, whether you're a beginner or professional or even a builder. These guys have decades of intimate experience with ukuleles of all sorts, they've seen everything and they talk about a wide variety of topics. I really appreciate the informal discussion style of the podcasts, almost like you're in the conversation with them. Very enjoyable to listen to.

Thanks for advertising that HMS has a podcast. I didn't know about it. I got to take a few classes with Tobias Elof at the Strathmore Ukulele and Guitar Summit last Summer. He really has a great sense of humor. I'm anxious to hear that episode.

I really like the podcasts and I appreciate the hard work that must go into them. The Ukulele Site isn't just a place to buy ukuleles. it's a community. Mahalo nui loa, Andrew, for all you've done and continue to do to create an amazing resource.

I also love the podcasts, and have e-mailed Andrew to let him know. My only regret is that there have been no new posts.

My favorites so far are with the Blackbird and also the Elof interview. I looked for his solo recordings on iTunes, but it turns out that he doesn't record that way--he records with a cello player if memory serves.

I too was concerned with the long gap since the last podcast, but Andrew shared (on this thread) he has many cool plans for the podcast this year. Also I appreciate the production values. I try to listen with good headphones or speakers- you can really hear the nuances of the instruments! I haven't heard a podcast sound this good.

Last edited:
I also love the podcasts, and have e-mailed Andrew to let him know. My only regret is that there have been no new posts.

My favorites so far are with the Blackbird and also the Elof interview. I looked for his solo recordings on iTunes, but it turns out that he doesn't record that way--he records with a cello player if memory serves.

That episode on Blackbirds really inspired me too. As an aside I have the same Pono Pro classic tenor you have and after almost a year it just keeps sounding better. Would love to hear the Macassar version one of these days.

Last edited:
Congrats on the Blackbird! Those Farallons look and sound fantastic! I love the Ukulele Review Podcast and I'm excited to hear there are more on the way! I can't wait.

Elof & Wamberg

He forms a duo with a double-bass player; they're called Elof & Wamberg and they are great!

They have two albums out so far, both are in heavy rotation on my Spotify. :)

Really appreciate the encouragement. I think everyone should do a podcast just to hear how dumb you sound half of the time. Or maybe that’s just me. It’s humbling but I want to keep trying to put it out there for the enjoyment of music and possibly useful conversations. Zanuck and Ron stopped by yesterday and we did this. Zanuck gives some great tips for starting out with finger picking and soloing.

https://youtu.be/u07UAk5r1g4

Thanks Andrew.....your podcast are the best....Zanuck is a good guy too..i got to meet him a few times at your store....keep um coming..
I would never do one I would look like a fool......haha

Andrew,

That was a really good episode. I love that you can see clearly that Zanuck is a natural teacher and has a great passion for passing his knowledge along. They sounded excellent for not practicing much together. They have a very soulful sound. Smooth vocals.

Excellent production, minus the phone call. ;)

Andrew, glad to hear that you're about to get your review site going again. Containing written text, it always shows up high in a Google search for ukulele, and I bet it has a huge impact on people's buying decisions. It certainly had on me. I have always fully trusted your reviews, and I've never been let down. Some of your pieces are classics that I've read over and over again (introducing me to Moore Bettah, LFdM, Beau Hannam, Ko'olau, the K brands, and everything from Pono). While I enjoy your podcast when I get a chance, to me, your written reviews are of even greater value, along with your excellent pictures, and of course, the demo videos with Corey, Kalei, Aaron, and Zach. Thanks for all your efforts, they are a major asset to the ukulele community!

By the way, I would love to see more custom baritones and high quality guitaleles being reviewed...

Andrew, glad to hear that you're about to get your review site going again. Containing written text, it always shows up high in a Google search for ukulele, and I bet it has a huge impact on people's buying decisions. It certainly had on me. I have always fully trusted your reviews, and I've never been let down. Some of your pieces are classics that I've read over and over again (introducing me to Moore Bettah, LFdM, Beau Hannam, Ko'olau, the K brands, and everything from Pono). While I enjoy your podcast when I get a chance, to me, your written reviews are of even greater value, along with your excellent pictures, and of course, the demo videos with Corey, Kalei, Aaron, and Zach. Thanks for all your efforts, they are a major asset to the ukulele community!

By the way, I would love to see more custom baritones and high quality guitaleles being reviewed...

Well thanks for your support and the kind words regarding the articles. You’re probably a better “writer” than me in more than one language but I do it anyway on this subject. The review site will have new articles and layout. Of course it’s never done and never as great as I envision but it’s also sort of an afterthought to taking care of customers, the daily challenges, you know, family of course. Btw Rainer, some issues with international shipments ; pearl/ rosewood and now the combination of the two… getting ridiculous. Stay tuned for some changes coming up from more than just us. What will create more options for some will create less for others. So it seems. For someone like you it might not make a difference. Some could even be happy about it.

Thanks bikemech and hawaii 50, I love your new bike! Sits like a mountain bike and maneuvers like a trick bike. So cool!

Top Bottom