PDA

View Full Version : What Does Genuine Rosewood have to do with a Better Driving SUV?

sequoia
02-20-2017, 06:25 PM
I came across this ad on the back of magazine and my first thought was: What a travesty to use such a valuable wood for a car interior.

The ad makes a lot out of the fact that it is "Genuine Rosewood". By my count there are nine species of rosewood so what is "genuine rosewood".

Sorry for the lousy picture. The caption to the right of the guitar says: A Fujigen Masterfield guitar with genuine rosewood fretboard". Mazda has, "partnered with the meticulous craftmen at Fujigen Guitars to hand select rosewood for our interior trim."

Also I love the quote: "The warm subtle hue and smooth grain finish indulge the senses".

I think the answer to the question in the title is: Not much.

Pete Howlett
02-21-2017, 08:33 AM
According to CITES there are over 300....

spongeuke
02-21-2017, 08:35 AM
I came across this ad on the back of magazine and my first thought was: What a travesty to use such a valuable wood for a car interior.

"partnered with the meticulous craftmen at Fujigen Guitars to hand select rosewood for our interior trim."

Perhaps some hands pulled pieces from the scrap bin

ksquine
02-21-2017, 11:19 AM
I saw that ad and couldn't quite make the connection between the guitar and how "genuine rosewood" makes a better Mazda. I think the real genius here is the advertising exec who got paid for that

Steedy
02-21-2017, 06:02 PM
Some folks like wood trim in their automobiles, and genuine rosewood sounds much better than fake plastic wood. Others may think it's a travesty to use such a valuable wood to make ukuleles. Different strokes for different blokes! :cool:

sequoia
02-21-2017, 06:50 PM
Some folks like wood trim in their automobiles, and genuine rosewood sounds much better than fake plastic wood. Others may think it's a travesty to use such a valuable wood to make ukuleles. Different strokes for different blokes! :cool:

Actually that is a good point and valid. The tree doesn't care what it is made into. How about a genuine rosewood toilet seat? Looks great, feels great, but how does it sound?... I think what caught my eye in the ad is the word "genuine". What is genuine rosewood? Well after doing some research, if you call any tree called Dalbergia sp. a "genuine" rosewood, there are literally hundreds and hundreds of them as Pete pointed out. A very common genus of tree so the word genuine becomes meaningless.

After checking out the guitar maker it seems the genuine (Gen-U-Wine) rosewood is east Indian rosewood which would make sense. On the bright side, I can look for junked Mazda's in the future and rip out the cup holders to make bridges from! One man's toilet seat is another man's fretboard!

kkimura
02-22-2017, 04:12 AM
Everybody knows "genuine rosewood" doesn't make a car great unless it also has "rich Corinthian leather".

lauburu
02-22-2017, 08:43 AM
It won't be long before rich Corinthians are added to CITES
Miguel

kkimura
02-22-2017, 08:51 AM
The truly rich Corinthians would have lawyers on retainer to prevent that. That said, back in the day when when great automobile chassis were made of wood, "better" English cars had dashboards made of burled English oak or walnut. I don't know if the Brazilians used rosewood for their upper end cars.

ksquine
02-23-2017, 07:10 AM
Oh man....I won't be able to drive my 70's Chrysler into Canada anymore??