Just bought an 8 string what have i done !!!!!!!!!

keithy351

Reaction score
g'day guys and gals, well i thought i might just jump on as a found out a won a bid on ebay. It was a kala mahogony tenor 8 sting ukulele with case. I managed to pick it up for AUS$280 so bout US$200 and im fair stoaked, i wanted an 8 string but just didnt wanna fork out for one, so this baby came up and i thought what the hell.... its basically new, looks wicked, im in the process at the moment in buying my first upmarket ukulele, and if all goes will i will be in the possion of a koaloha tenor ukulele if.... all goes well.. if.... i learnt for the past 6 months on a US $40 ukulele concert size, and am so over it, broke the strings a few weeks ago, and kinda accidently stepped on it. this gave me the excuse i needed, also i think i done it subconciously... so im at the moment ukeless... i reckon i wont be getting the koaloha for a month or so as i do hope to pay it off, but atleast for the mean time i have this new 8 string. tuning on it is GgCceeaa (sorry if its the wrong way around or wrong capitals used) im hopeing it sounds sweet.. Sorry after my little life story speach i will get to my main Q & A.. now, ive never played an 8 string, love the sound, my main Q is whats some decent songs to learn on it, like is there any songs where u can go oh dude.. this song sounds soooo good on an 8 string... cheers guys, let me know, and have i gotten a good buy and will i enjoy the 8 string?? cheers

i have played it before at a uke shop in new york. it is nice sounding, and due to the 8 strings it is a very loud chorusy uke

i have played it before at a uke shop in new york. it is nice sounding, and due to the 8 strings it is a very loud chorusy uke

thats what im hopeing for, im thinking the 8 string may be good for out doors sort of things, hopeing to use it as my take everywhere dont care ukulele, and song wise, i dont know what use think, but i reckon the 8 strings are good for more newer songs ie songs by jack johnson as they can give out a little more fuller sound... (is fuller ever a word :rolleyes:)

dont know any good songs that can be played better on an 8 string uke.
but congrats!
i use to have a 12 string guitar... but i didn't like it that much because it was sooo many strings and sooo much tuning! :D (it was a gift)

I've always loved the sound of a 12 string guitar. Is an 8 string uke to a standard uke as a 12 string guitar is to a six string guitar? If so, I think I'd like the sound.

Anybody have a link to a video with 8 string uke so we can all hear one?

I used to have an 8-string Pono - really nice uke, but I found the four-string easier to learn on, so sold the 8 off. G and C strings in octaves, E and A doubled. Chords are all fingered the same. I think it's a better strumming instrument - mine had a beautiful voice - but much more difficult to pick (though it can me done - see videos of Taimane Gardner playing her 8-string Kamaka). Any song you can strum on a four string can be played on an 8. You got a good deal and you should have fun!

I own a 6 string uke and I want to get an 8 string but i am going to wait until I get my KoAloha Tenor. The eight string sounds like two ukes and it is louder than normal four stringers. I strum and pick my 6 stringer and the eight would be used the same. All songs will sound good on the 8 stringer.

g'day guys and gals, well i thought i might just jump on as a found out a won a bid on ebay. It was a kala mahogony tenor 8 sting ukulele with case. I managed to pick it up for AUS$280 so bout US$200 and im fair stoaked, i wanted an 8 string but just didnt wanna fork out for one, so this baby came up and i thought what the hell.... its basically new, looks wicked, im in the process at the moment in buying my first upmarket ukulele, and if all goes will i will be in the possion of a koaloha tenor ukulele if.... all goes well.. if.... i learnt for the past 6 months on a US $40 ukulele concert size, and am so over it, broke the strings a few weeks ago, and kinda accidently stepped on it. this gave me the excuse i needed, also i think i done it subconciously... so im at the moment ukeless... i reckon i wont be getting the koaloha for a month or so as i do hope to pay it off, but atleast for the mean time i have this new 8 string. tuning on it is GgCceeaa (sorry if its the wrong way around or wrong capitals used) im hopeing it sounds sweet.. Sorry after my little life story speach i will get to my main Q & A.. now, ive never played an 8 string, love the sound, my main Q is whats some decent songs to learn on it, like is there any songs where u can go oh dude.. this song sounds soooo good on an 8 string... cheers guys, let me know, and have i gotten a good buy and will i enjoy the 8 string?? cheers

Hey....any song you can find and learn how to play. I own an 8string, a 6-string and 3 4-strings. The 8 string is really a good strumming/rhythm uke. The 4 string is the pickers choice (although good uke players can pick on anything). The 8 string has such a full sound and good strumming your song.

cheers everyone im mega excited to get it, it wouldnt saprise me if its a fellow members, it looks like a uke that he didnt even play because of its uniqueness. I will let all yous know when it arrives, and will snap up a few happy shots for use all. Im still waiting to hear about the koaloha tenor, THATS the one im excited about :shaka:

i suggest something with a lot of strumming. it was very hard for me to single out strings when i was trying to bust solos or short riffs at first. plus, they sound cherry when the strings are singing in beautiful harmony. get a tuner if you don't already have one.

i suggest something with a lot of strumming. it was very hard for me to single out strings when i was trying to bust solos or short riffs at first. plus, they sound cherry when the strings are singing in beautiful harmony. get a tuner if you don't already have one.

Hey diezo - I'm in Beaverton, too! Wherebouts are you?

You scored a deal!

8 stringers have more depth in sound, and are really great for strumming songs. But maybe instead of making a pair of strings the same note, tune one an octave higher. For example, on most 6 stringers, the string paired up with the C string is an octave higher than the original C note, while the string paired up with the A string is in unison with the A string

An 8 string is a great uke to have, congrats!!!

You'll probably love it. Seems to be a love-hate thing among uke players, but I'm in the former camp.

I have an eight-string Lanikai and really like the sound. It's a bit of a pain in the backside to tune, but easy to play. Sounds a bit more like a mandolin than a traditional uke, though. But very sweet, nonetheless.

Top Bottom