How to play the staccato notes on the ukulele?

hikaru

Reaction score
Aloha!

I'm confused about playing the staccato notes when doing fingerstyle.. A staccato note shows no difference in the tabs, but it's there in the corresponding sheet music.

In short, do I just pluck the string really fast or need to do some other fancy stuff that I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

Staccato just means you have to stop the string from vibrating. Depending on the context, you might do this with a left hand finger, right hand finger, right hand palm, whatever.

Staccato just means you have to stop the string from vibrating. Depending on the context, you might do this with a left hand finger, right hand finger, right hand palm, whatever.

Thanks, Jim!

Is that the "palm muting" as in the video below?

I don't understand using the fingers, either the left or the right. Would you cause the ringing strings to buzz when touching it?:confused:

Palm muting isn't really intended for staccato playing, although it does sort of accomplish a staccato. It's used primarily for the tonal effect. Playing staccato is generally done with the tips of the picking fingers of the picking hand. It requires lots of practice. LOTS.
I'm sure you can find classical guitar videos on youtube to help you with the basics.

To shorten notes you can just release the fretting fingers slightly, without lifting them off the string altogether. I sometimes do it unintentionally! Obviously it is not so easy on an open string though try with a spare finger.

The nearest I can get is to pick then immediately replace the picking finger on the string to cut the note short.

Top Bottom