Harmonics

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
I was just playing something that used a harmonic instead of a "regular" note, and wondered what the reason was.

I realize that my playing of the harmonic is in need to work, but am not sure why one would choose to play a harmonic over a "regular" note. Yes, it's a slightly different sound, but is there something more to it?

Any input?

They have a special sound quality and in the right context they embellish the tune with that quality.
Your question is a bit like asking why do we use slides or hammer on or pull offs, they all provide a quality and add to the expression.

"Slightly different sound" - yes. The harmonic chimes like a bell.

And on other than the 12th fret, produces higher notes than one can otherwise achieve.

"Slightly different sound" - yes. The harmonic chimes like a bell.

Not when I try it. LOL.

Obviously, I need to work on this, and if I was doing it right, I wouldn't have the question.

Gets even harder when you learn to use fretted harmonics. Fret the 'g' chord then use your right hand only to pick the harmonic in the corresponding place at the 12th fret. Use the thumb and index finger of the right hand (strumming hand). Maybe your a lefty, lol.

I can't seem to know how to include a harmonic with a chord consisting of more than 2 notes. I need two fingers on right hand to get the harmonic, another finger for the other note, but wow it is hard.

Here's a pretty cool example of harmonics within the music, Kalei Gamiao
https://vimeo.com/155512167

Skip right to 55 sec if you're impatient.

That's beautiful! I haven't learned to incorporate harmonic notes in a song yet. I found that I can play harmonics above the 12th fret by moving up the neck the same amount of frets from the nut where I am fretting the strings. So far I can play Taps that way. All using the G chord.

They have a special sound quality and in the right context they embellish the tune with that quality.
Your question is a bit like asking why do we use slides or hammer on or pull offs, they all provide a quality and add to the expression.

This is exactly correct but another time I'll use a harmonic is when I play a song that requires a not on the 19th fret of the A string. You can pick it up on the 7th fret harmonic.

Gets even harder when you learn to use fretted harmonics. Fret the 'g' chord then use your right hand only to pick the harmonic in the corresponding place at the 12th fret. Use the thumb and index finger of the right hand (strumming hand). Maybe your a lefty, lol.

That's nothing. I've been working for months on John Kings transcription of J.S. Bach's Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring. It require's the player to play chords and the harmonic of just the melody note at the same time!!! So far, no success whatsoever. King did it. There are others who've posted videos on Youtube doing it. I see that it's a not-uncommon skill used in classical guitar. But I continue to struggle.

This is exactly correct but another time I'll use a harmonic is when I play a song that requires a not on the 19th fret of the A string. You can pick it up on the 7th fret harmonic.

Yes, the harmonics are very (most?) often used to access the higher notes. The tonal quality is only one of their uses.

That's nothing. I've been working for months on John Kings transcription of J.S. Bach's Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring. It require's the player to play chords and the harmonic of just the melody note at the same time!!! So far, no success whatsoever. King did it. There are others who've posted videos on Youtube doing it. I see that it's a not-uncommon skill used in classical guitar. But I continue to struggle.

Going to have to look up that challenge :)

Top Bottom