Not a Luthier - Do I need this jointer?

Doug W

Reaction score
I have 3 unfinished ukes in the basement, which is the sum total of instruments I have (not quite yet) built. I am not a prolific hobby builder. I saw this in a thrift store today and wondered if there is any reason I should purchase this or is it likely just a $39 boat anchor.

Rockwell Manufacturing Company
Model 37-11C ***EDIT*** This should be Model 37-110, just saw it with the morning sun.,
4" Precision Jointer.
Missing a motor which isn't a big deal.

Jointer04.jpg

Jointer02.jpg

Jointer01.jpg

Jointer03.jpg

Last edited:
Unless you have a use for it outside of uke building I am guessing no.
On the other hand he who dies with the most toys wins.
It does look pretty solid and no obvious dings to make one think it has been knocked about. The things to check are how flat everything is what can be adjustud to put things in allignment and if there is any play in the bearings.

$40 For a great woodworking tool? Grab it.

Mine gets a lot of use. Perfect for joining / laminating ukulele necks and such. I believe mine is model 37-290. Runs smooth as butter compared to a newer lightweight Delta I sold a while back. I personally wouldn't pass one up for that price.. You see parts for them on eBay all the time...

homecraftjoiner3.jpghomecraftjoiner2.jpghomecraftjoiner1.jpg

Well the jointer was hiding behind plants overnight at the thrift store so now it is in my basement. Any suggestions on motor HP / RPMs / pulley size, I should look for.

Hiding
Jointer_Hiding_behind_Plants_Thrift_Store.jpg

In Basement
Jointer_In_Basement.jpg

I think the stand alone is worth $39. Should be lots of info and probably even a pdf owners manual on VintageMachinery.org.

Last edited:
Well done. Fixing up and tuning that machine should keep you away from making ukuleles for a while. :(
Miguel

I think the stand alone is worth $39. Should be lots of info and probably even a pdf owners manual on VintageMachinery.org.

Thanks Doug I will check that out.

This video will tell you a lot about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9rmvEEDx3k - His technique for setting it up is spot on. Make sure to watch his other video on setting up the blades. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LENyfLOFmpQ

Pretty sure the pulley should be 2-3/4.

These blades are recommended by many. I'll be grabbing a new set soon.

https://www.amazon.com/19-HSS-Planer-Blades-Walker-Turner/dp/B002O75HTG

Congrats... these are excellent machines.

Thanks for the links. I will look for a 2-3/4 pulley.

Well done. Fixing up and tuning that machine should keep you away from making ukuleles for a while. :(
Miguel

You bet.

What a deal! I was given the 6" model years ago, and only last month finally got around to changing the knives, and getting a planer pal and dial indicator, 36" straight edge to set it up properly. It worked prior to the new knives; now its almost as badass as my Hitachi resaw.

I will start messing with it next week.

Is the world against WD-40 for cleaning the surface rust? In the midwest USA you are issued a can at birth. Has WD40 fallen out of favor, just like Brylcreem?

CORRECT model number is 37-110, not 37-11C.

Last edited:
Top Bottom