Baritone Fingerstyle Music Books

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
What baritone (DGBE) fingerstyle books do you fingerpickers use? I've checked with Amazon and Elderly and haven't found anything worth buying.

When fingerpicking, don't you also play chords and other stuff? Or do you just play straight melody?

I've found lots of GCEA books, but I want the lower tones. :eek:ld:

Just buy any C-tuning book and use your baritone. I use both Fred Sokolow's Beatles for Fingerstyle book. It is written for re-entrant, so you will need to modify for melody notes on the 4th string and play them on the 2nd string equivalent (e.g., open 4th string is 2nd string fretted at third) and Daniel Ho's Polani, which is written for linear tuning, so no need to change melody notes.

I just play anything I like on mine, not specifically for any instrument, all music can be played, :)

Try finding music notation online, & picking the tune, add in some chords if that's what you fancy, it's all good. ;)

Edit: If you want to use the lower strings/notes, just transpose the tune.

Just buy any C-tuning book and use your baritone. I use both Fred Sokolow's Beatles for Fingerstyle book. It is written for re-entrant, so you will need to modify for melody notes on the 4th string and play them on the 2nd string equivalent (e.g., open 4th string is 2nd string fretted at third) and Daniel Ho's Polani, which is written for linear tuning, so no need to change melody notes.

Yes, i know that I could use a GCEA book, but i don't wanna. Actually, i have a GCEA book that i bought a while back
by mistake. I guess i'll use it as it is, or just play staff music and use fewer keys (because of the chords).

It's hard to believe that with the popularity of baritones, at least on the UU, there are so few books for sale. It makes me wonder what everyone is doing with their baritones --GCEA?

Anyway, thanks for your info, but i'll keep lookin'. :eek:ld:

As long as your not hung up on the key, play things that are arranged for standard tuning.
You can get lots of awesome tabs for all skill levels on Uke Hunt for free and most have a demo videos.
Most of my favorite tabs have come from there.

The baritone version of Ukulele Aerobics has some fingerstyle exercises in it - but just to emphasize they are exercises not songs. And there's a whole bunch of other stuff in there that isn't fingerstyle.

The baritone version of Ukulele Aerobics has some fingerstyle exercises in it - but just to emphasize they are exercises not songs. And there's a whole bunch of other stuff in there that isn't fingerstyle.

JB, i wouldn't buy another Ukulele Aerobics if you gave me the money to pay for it. I'm definitely not a fan. :eek:ld:

Well, that's a good site but not exactly what i was looking for. I'm gonna use it to get other tunes, but i was really looking for an instructional book.

I can already play straight melodies using regular music or tabs, but i need help in using and understanding chord usage and music embellishments. I've been a musician for a long time, but i never did much with chords. I quit studying the piano because of them. And they still give me the yips.

I think i can get a good start now though. I have some banjo music in DGBE that i can use, and i have the GCEA book that may give me some info. I guess i have enough to get started.

Thanks for your post. I'm sure it'll be big help. :eek:ld:

Jukin' the Uke is for linear tuning.
Aaron Keim's finger style book talks a bit about adaption go linear tuning, but unfortunately doesn't give enough examples...
Pdf Minstrel has some good arrangements, graded.

I have been playing out of Ukulele Chord Melody by Susan Howell. A lot of older tunes that have been arranged for high and low G but sound really nice on a DGBA tuned baritone.

I have been playing out of Ukulele Chord Melody by Susan Howell. A lot of older tunes that have been arranged for high and low G but sound really nice on a DGBA tuned baritone.

Thanks. DGBA? That's an unusual (to me at least) tuning. I'd have to tune down a lot or use an A string. :eek:ld:

I've gotten quite a bit of help from "Baritone Ukelele From Scratch", by Bruce Emery. Not totally about finger picking but a couple of helpful chapters. We also enjoy Jumpin' Jim's "The Bari Best" by Jim Beloff. Music, cord shapes,and lyrics but, unfortunately, no tabs. Hope this helps.

I've gotten quite a bit of help from "Baritone Ukelele From Scratch", by Bruce Emery. Not totally about finger picking but a couple of helpful chapters. We also enjoy Jumpin' Jim's "The Bari Best" by Jim Beloff. Music, cord shapes,and lyrics but, unfortunately, no tabs. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help, but i think i'll just go with what i got. :eek:ld:

Here is a different suggestion. Hal Leonard has a series of guitar books in a series called "Easy Guitar with Notes and Tab." Basically a beginner guitar series, but many of the tunes are just on the top 4 strings, which is perfect for fingerstyle baritone. Chords are provided so it is easy to embellish as you wish. Here are some of the current selections available. I have collected many others over the years which might not be currently in print but you could perhaps find on Amazon or EBay.

https://www.halleonard.com/search/s...&keywords=Easy+guitar+notes+and+tab&x=21&y=10

DUD, if I'm looking to play Chord/melody stuff, I'll use any GCEA tab and just be in a different key. Or I'll do any standard notation chord/melody and play it in the written key. James Hill's "Ukulele Way" course teaches you the fundamentals of making your own chord melody arrangements.

Down Up Dick you might have to visit YouTube for bari tutorials, and see if any of the posters offer tabs, and try an build your own song book. We do a lot of that for re-entrant tuning songs (instrumentals).

Top Bottom