Need some uke history and cultural knowledge

JaCrispy

Reaction score
I wanna learn. Any information you have no matter how little or insignificant would be much appreciated. Even personal experiences you've had would help. I need the knowledge! Time is of the essence!

JaCrispy,

I think you'll need to be a bit more specific in regards to what information you require and what you desire to do with it. You will, no doubt, get appropriate and thoughtful responses from this knowledgeable community.

David

JaCrispy,

I was going to write a lengthy post about the history of the ukulele, but this brief one has good info:

https://ukuguides.com/information/very-brief-history-of-the-ukulele/

The uke is a chordophone, from the lute family, just as guitars are.

The Portuguese "machete" is the direct ancestor of the uke, brought to The Islands by Portuguese sailors.

There is some dispute about the origin of the name ukulele, but the one I've heard floated around the most is that the word comes from Polynesian words for "jumping flea" because the fretting fingers of the Portuguese as they played their machetes looked to the Hawaiian islanders like little fleas jumping around the fretboard.

I need whatever information this lovely community has to offer. I've been to the mainstream sites, and have the basic knowledge, but I need more. It's been good so far but I need to be as knowledgeable as possible.

Thanks Griffis, this is much more detailed than Wikipedia.

I wanna learn. Any information you have no matter how little or insignificant would be much appreciated. Even personal experiences you've had would help. I need the knowledge! Time is of the essence!

grab a uke
Play the uke
make history

The King/Tranquada book is THE resource you need:
The 'Ukulele: A History
Jim Beloff's book has lots of cool pics, fun facts and looks beautiful too.
The Ukulele: A Visual History

Top Bottom