I have finally completed my ukulele triumvirate!

j.roth

Reaction score
I have finally completed my collection of the three sizes of Hawaiian ukuleles. It took a while, but it is done, and they are wonderful!
They are:
1. Koaloha -Soprano
2. Kanile'a- K-3 Concert
3. Kanile'a- K-1 Tenor

What are all of you striving to get a hold of in your personal collection(s)?

I have finally completed my collection of the three sizes of Hawaiian ukuleles. It took a while, but it is done, and they are wonderful!
They are:
1. Koaloha -Soprano
2. Kanile'a- K-3 Concert
3. Kanile'a- K-1 Tenor

What are all of you striving to get a hold of in your personal collection(s)?

Congratulations, you must be very happy, nice triple crown. Those are all wonderful instruments that will give you much enjoyment

I have gone through a number of tenors and now baritones always searching for a specific tone. At first I wanted to experience most of the different wood combos, Spruce, cedar, redwood, mahogany, Koa, Sycamore, walnut, rosewood, cocobolo are some that I have owned.

I have sold many off and kept the ones that play and sound the best to "me", I have always be striving for a full open resonant guitar like tone.

Well, I have...

1. Martin C1K concert
2. Flea Surf soprano

I would like number 3 to be a tenor, perhaps a Pono MGT, MT or AT.
My wife has a walnut Flea concert scale with wood fretboard on order.

Early on in my uke quest I tried everything I could get my hands on. Owned many over the years, trying to decide on my ultimate preferences.

Well, turns out there are a LOT of shapes and sizes I love, different woods, etc. But I think for me THE uke is a pretty bone standard old mahogany soprano.

When it comes down to it I think I could be pretty fulfilled with two hog sopranos: one re-entrant, one linear.

Now, we need to see pics of that delectable trio of yours, j. roth!

It feels good to get all the pieces to your perfect jigsaw puzzle right? Congrats. I dislike that feelin when i feel some pieces are missin!!! I got no willpower, too . The koalohas are just fabulous I believe.

I have no real specific brand or model but I always wanted the ziricote kala and a higher end mahogany w a ton of frets and the loprinzi does well. Anything else I get is just curiosity but it is uas infused curiosity.

I think I've settled down on ukes permanently bc I can tell that when I start looking at hats again.

And I soooo want this in cognac...
http://www.villagehatshop.com/product/all/239346-185/blixen-litefelt-fedora-hat.html

Arrghhh!!!

But yeah. Great triumvirate. Keep them well maintained and play the heck out of them. Make memories. Kudos

Hahaha- I love the confidence with which one says they have the complete set. There is ALWAYS another one to get- right now I am lusting over one of the big Baritones from Pono.
My wife would like to know how it is different from the two Baritones I have...she just does not get it. The addition of guitar and Mandolin into our house has kind of prompted her to put her foot down.
That is a lovely set of Ukuleles there though for sure.

Ha! I have THAT complete set. I never said I was stopping! However, I am definitely in pause mode in my instrument acquisition. There are never enough instruments...until a guest comes over and says, "Hey, man...why do you have so many instruments?"
Yeah, do not even get started on guitars at the house...
Thank the Lord that my wife does not mind.

One uke in re-entrant, one in linear, and a banjolele are enough for me.

Hahahahaha- I just taught my wife to play. She started with Ukulele...but I started with accordion. Know how big those are? Or that they multiply like rabbits?
She is a saint.
Ha! I have THAT complete set. I never said I was stopping! However, I am definitely in pause mode in my instrument acquisition. There are never enough instruments...until a guest comes over and says, "Hey, man...why do you have so many instruments?"
Yeah, do not even get started on guitars at the house...
Thank the Lord that my wife does not mind.

Congratulations, sounds like you have a great trio.

For me, at first, I wanted to cover all sizes, then all Hawaiian K brands, then all of the most common tonewoods, and then several custom ukes made by some of most acclaimed luthiers, and now I'm venturing into crossover instruments, bigger bodies (Pono Baritone Nui), steel strings (Pono UL4), and occasionally six strings. The only thing that is stopping me from adding even more is the lack of opportunities (as well as money and space at my home).

Anyway, I've really enjoyed trying all those different things and have no regrets. Enjoy yours!

Three seems to be my magic number as well. All Kamakas, a pineapple soprano, a concert low G, and a longneck soprano - since the addition of the latter (which had been on my wish list forEVER) almost two years ago I haven't been tempted in the slightest to buy anything else.

I have finally completed my collection of the three sizes of Hawaiian ukuleles.
1. Koaloha -Soprano
2. Kanile'a- K-3 Concert
3. Kanile'a- K-1 Tenor

Very nice trio! where's the pic's?!

I understand. I have some others too, but I wanted a particular set of high end Ukulele's. I have a flea that is so beat up and ugly that it looks like a science experiment gone wrong. I also have a mainland concert and baritone. They sit pretty much untouched. It liked playing my Koaloha Soprano the most. It was made in July 2012, and it has the Koa fretboard and crown bottom, Koahloha carved into the bridge, and the logo etched on the headstock. A lot of these details have been removed from the later models, so I find those to be dull in aesthetics. The detail they put into that instrument's looks is equaled to its sound. That is why I think it is such a keeper. I have played it so much over the past few years, that getting the Hawaiian group seemed to just be a good idea. I also got to go to Hawaii for vacation, and was able to buy the concert K-3 (made in September 2016) there. Kind of cool since the music stores here do not sell that type of high end ukulele. I just received my K-1 yesterday (made in January of 2017) as my birthday present. If you can't tell, I like that the high end Ukulele's have a way of showing when they were made. Mainland also does this.
How do you choose your instruments? It can't just be playability. I am just curious.

My "triumvirate"...
Fender Piha'eu
Islander AC-4
Kala Rumbler
trio.jpg
I had a tenor 6-string once, don't care for tenor scale. Not sure how the bass is going to workout, only had it a few days...:shaka:

How do you choose your instruments? It can't just be playability. I am just curious.

Great question, and I hope others respond. For me it's more or less in this order:

Sound - This is first, and sometimes I'm willing to take a chance on a great sounding uke that maybe is more challenging to play. I did this with a Kamaka Ohta-San a while ago - sounded great, but the scale (between concert and tenor) was more than my small hands could handle. When I started developing hand pain, I re-homed it. Fortunately there are many smaller-scale ukes that sound great!

Playability - I find sopranos to have the best playability, but prefer the sound of concert scale ukes, so - this might get compromised a bit for sound.

Appearance - I like really plain, straight-grained wood, zero ornamentation, nothing fancy. I'm not sure what I'd do if I was offered a great-sounding and great-playing uke that was loaded with bling - but the truth is, in all my years of playing I've never encountered one!

image1.jpg
Here are the three for those of you who wanted to see pictures.

View attachment 98111
Here are the three for those of you who wanted to see pictures.

Congrats- and if I counted the frets correctly that is a long neck Koaloha Soprano? And it has the crown fretboard which is a nice touch.

Congrats- and if I counted the frets correctly that is a long neck Koaloha Soprano? And it has the crown fretboard which is a nice touch.

It is a standard Soprano. There are only 12 frets.

It is a standard Soprano. There are only 12 frets.

I was just curious- I completed my triumvirate last year with a Koaloha soprano as well, my first Hawaiian made Koa uke! I'm intrigued by the Kanile'a brand too- some sound samples I've heard are wonderful.

Top Bottom