Down one Ukulele.

UkeStuff

Reaction score
My son was playing with his ukulele tonight, and he doesn't know what happened.

This was the "buy a ukulele so that the kids stay away from my ukuleles" ukulele. It was $24 and it served its purpose! That could have been my Opio.
image.jpg

+ 1

Oops! Dadgummit.

Just for fun, at that suggestion, I glued it. I don't see how it will withstand the pressure of two strings (the break runs under one of the tuning pegs), but I have some Gorilla Wood Glue, so why not.
image.jpg

It can't hurt. I've seen guitars that were stepped in repaired to like new.

Kids have the darndest ways of breaking things. Sometimes I see something broken by a kid and I have to do some deep analysis on how and why it broke that way!

"...he doesn't know what happened to it." :music:

I think I've heard that before. (Father of three boys)

That is what happens when you tune it up a fifth!

He doesn't know what happened...
I have heard that from every boy who has ever passed through the door of my classroom...and that is a lot. No telling when they will say it, but they will. Hilarious.

I was (am) an only child, so I never had anyone else to blame. If I broke it, it didn't make sense to deny it or come up with a cover story. That, I think, is why Calvin and Hobbes speak so strongly to me (I own the bound collection, although I found the entire book scanned one time!)

That was definitely a well spent $24. I haven't stopped laughing since "He doesn't know how it happened"

Just for fun, at that suggestion, I glued it. I don't see how it will withstand the pressure of two strings (the break runs under one of the tuning pegs), but I have some Gorilla Wood Glue, so why not.
View attachment 98100

Shouldn't be a problem with appropriate glue. The bridge on an old "wall-hanger" I've got popped off one evening, for no apparent reason other than old age. I slackened the strings, glued it and clamped it for the recommended time and re-tuned it (to D ... it sounds better there). It's been back on the wall ever since and still plays in tune if one of the old wooden taper-fit tuning pegs hasn't slipped :)

This is why my two year old daughter has her own dolphin.

I have not seen tuners like that on low cost Mahalos. The current models seem to have a dolphin shaped metal bracket on the back of the headstock. The older models I have seen have different tuning machines. Do you know what model it is?

I sure do! MK1 Kahiko Series. The butterscotch color is $30 right now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M...mahalo+mk1&dpPl=1&dpID=41GgA1NG-jL&ref=plSrch

This is the model we bought in January 2016 for our school. Purchasing 58 of them. I personally bought my own for my sons at that same time. We ordered in batches. Most were bought at $24, but prices went up by the end to $36. This year, we sold these off (after a donation from Kala in March 2016) for $12 to students (they were well used and we also included a tuner) and replaced them with Concert and Tenor Caramels.

that gorilla glue is going to fix things, it's way more than is needed for strength. you have to hand it to the kid. he was really trying.

Whenever I used to complain to my dad about something of mine that my kids destroyed, he would come up with something of his that my brother and I destroyed. And I never won that argument.

When I was a kid on our Missouri farm, my dad would yell at me. "Son, you could tear up a crow bar in a plowed field"! Just the other day, I dinged one of my favorite ukes...don't know how it happened.

In this sad moment of another Uke passing, let us have a moment of silence please ..... :rulez:

Top Bottom