A Boy Named Sue

IamNoMan

Reaction score
Happy Birthday Johnny Cash!
"A Boy Name Sue" was responsible for Johnny Cash's Crossover from Country Music Star top Pop Culture Icon.

Nice one Tommy! :)

Thanks for sharing :music:

I like your instrumental interlude IamNoMan. Boy that song has a lotta words and very little space to breathe.

Shel Silverstein was responsible for a lot of great songs besides A Boy Named Sue, though usually someone else's version is the one that people know.
My kids, and now my grandkids, had children's poetry books by Shel and a record of him reciting his poems. He wrote the liner notes to Ramblin' Jack Elloit's first record and it's worth buying just for those liner notes even if you don't have a record player.
Shel wrote The Unicorn Song, but The Irish Rovers often get credit.
He also wrote The Cover Of The Rolling Stone, which got Dr. Hook onto the cover, despite the fact that Shel never had that honour himself.
He also wrote a song called Time, one of my favourite songs about growing old. I seem to sing a few of those lately. . .I have no idea why. I went back to the town where I grew up and discovered that my high school and one of the public schools that I attended when they were brand new, are being torn down. I started singing Shel's song Time which has the line, "They're tearin' down buildings that I watched them build."

Top Bottom